Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

TronFest Video Clips Actually Here!

Post by Capt. Black »

Hi guys,

I spent a bit of time at the last TronFest running around with my Zoom recorder and iPhone getting video and audio for you all to hear.
It's been a while coming but I had the urge to get these clips out so over the next couple nights I'll be uploading them for your pleasure.

Meantime, I just finished the mix down of the audio recordings, so while that is bouncing down I thought I'd share a bit of the process I used.

On the day, I attached my Zoom H4n to a pole so it could be thrust into places I'd be too large to occupy... (IB:JB)
This meant I could quickly swing the built in mics to wherever the action was. The H4n is cool in that it can record stereo with the onboard mics and also has XLR inputs for two external mics. To keep it simple I grabbed my Audix i5 and a small stand to chuck in front of whatever speaker I was recording at the time. This obviously gives a close mic for a clear impression of the gat>amp>speaker tone. The internal mics would pick up the room to give a bit of ambience and catch any comments and conversation.
At the end of the day, Darcy turned up and was keen to jam so as he and *UNIQUE* got it on I grabbed the i5 and an SM58 I had with me and quickly mic'd up both amps.
Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 12.23.10 AM.png
Into the software....
I imported the tracks into Logic 9. I recently installed a UAD DUO card and have just scored the UAD Studer800 plugin which I've been gagging for for the last year. So this was a nice project to try them out on.
The i5 and 58 went to individual mono tracks and panned centre. For the Darcy Unique jam I panned hard left and right so that you can hear each gat clearly.
Each channel has a Studer 800 plugin set for high headroom and an 1176 plugin set to the Guitar Shine preset which I like because it brings a lot out in the track without unduly coloring it.
I used a neat little trick to auto mix the ambient mics down when the guitar playing needs to be heard. I send the gat track to a new which is set for no output. I then drop a compressor plugin into the H4n channel and set it's side chain to listen to the gat bus. Give it a fairly high comp ratio, a longish release time and pull the threshold down to about -30dB and the channel virtually mixes itself. When a playing demo is happening the close mic is more prominent and when there's some talking the ambient mic fades itself up.

I haven't used any EQ on the tracks as they sound pretty honest as they are. The i5 is naturally EQ'd to cut mids and boost upper miss and bass.
The Studer 800 plugin brings a really nice warm roundness to the tracks. It does fantastic tape saturation and compression when you want but I've avoided that for this project. Keep it clean and dynamic.

Right, time to go render some video...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: TronFest Video Clips

Post by jeremyb »

YOU TEASE!!! :evil:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

TronFest Video Clips

Post by Capt. Black »

Gotta do something while I'm watching a progress bar. ;)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I was really looking forward to watching them while I ate my breakfast at work :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

With all those fancy editing tools you should be able to remove me from any clips. Kthnx.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

TronFest Video Clips

Post by Capt. Black »

You feature strongly.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

So you like the Studer 800? Any tape emulations I have tried have been very average... although I've mostly tried free ones, so that might be the problem.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

TronFest Video Clips

Post by Capt. Black »

Yes very much! I looked long and hard at the various demos online and had feedback from a few people who got there first. It was all good.
When I plucked up the courage to start the 14 day demo, I tried it on a copy of a mix that is a work in progress and the result was instantly gratifying. Even the default setting works. I could do away with most of the compression and eq on each track and still had a better sounding mix... To my ears anyway.
It didn't take long to decide to go for it and buy it.

For free (or indefinite demo) I really liked Stillwell audios Bombardier compressor. Have you tried that? It works beautifully on a drum bus and pretty much any track you want to get a bit of subtle cohesion on. I've used it in just about every project since I got it.
It has nice saturation and sag controls, which I though gave it a good stab at analog/tape feel.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

When you say render video, do you mean render as in demoscene render-engine, or as in cleaning up the iPhone's videocapture? (I know you probably mean iPhone vid, but I can dream...)
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

Where are these motherfucking videos? :eh:

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Capt. Black wrote:Yes very much! I looked long and hard at the various demos online and had feedback from a few people who got there first. It was all good.
When I plucked up the courage to start the 14 day demo, I tried it on a copy of a mix that is a work in progress and the result was instantly gratifying. Even the default setting works. I could do away with most of the compression and eq on each track and still had a better sounding mix... To my ears anyway.
It didn't take long to decide to go for it and buy it.

For free (or indefinite demo) I really liked Stillwell audios Bombardier compressor. Have you tried that? It works beautifully on a drum bus and pretty much any track you want to get a bit of subtle cohesion on. I've used it in just about every project since I got it.
It has nice saturation and sag controls, which I though gave it a good stab at analog/tape feel.
I've actually got that sitting here but haven't used much. Although I used the Stillwell's Rocket all the time. Might have a bit more of a blat on that.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

twistedthoughts wrote:Where are these motherfucking videos? :eh:
No longer available.

He decided he wanted his old one back again :(

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

TronFest Video Clips

Post by Capt. Black »

Hehehe. Render as in render to play in final cut pro. Tonight I'll drop titles on and render them out as shorter clips to upload. All going well, you can laugh at them over breakfast.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Capt. Black wrote: All going well, you can laugh at them over breakfast.
I'm not liking where this is heading....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Brokeback Mountain you think?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.