Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Wellington Gearfest - 10th March 2013

Post by Scooter13 »

hamo wrote:
Scooter13 wrote:Car is packed and ready. If anyone want me to bring the ESP SV with Blackouts let me know. I'll try squeeze it in. Otherwise see ya's soon!
Is it too late to say yes?

I'll be a bit late, maybe 1.30-2.00.
Sorry mate. You are more than welcome to come over to my place anytime and hoon on stuff though.

Great gearfest thanks guys! Was great to see you all again! Thanks to Lawrence for the venue again too. Very loud today, (as usual). :evil:

While everyones gear was awesome as usual, highlights for me personally include:

TmcB's Marshall JTM45: my LP and his Tele sounded amazeballs though it, but was super loud but in a good way :thumbup:
sizzlingbadger's 30 anniversary LP. Very vintage vibe IMO, great to play.
Lawrence's Mad Professor Golden Cello pedal ( Gnarly fat distortion echo sounds. GAS inducer!) and his own make solid cut guitar.

Everyone had some cool effects on their boards but it was too loud to get around to hear them all well, I would of loved to play more on some of alan's cool hand made stuff. Lot's of POG and HOG action today too.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Good times indeed.
Loved Scooter13's LP through the JTM45, I think we were both grinning like school boys about that giant sound.

Had a play through a bunch of alanp's homemade marvels, and I particularly loved the Binson echorec style pedal, the DMM, the Klone and the crazy-ass phaser thing.

Really cool to have my eyes opened to world of surf guitar with Tubeswell's gear, a Jazzmaster with flatwounds and particularly the tube reverb unit and the Princeton.

Lawrence's homemade guitar played, sounded and felt anything but, great guitar that.

Great to see Ironbird's steampunkiness and the impromptu awesome noise performance and proving that the Lil' Night Train is amazing in the right hands.

The shredding by a certain Splawn endorsee was fluid and amazing and awesome sounding as usual.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

TmcB wrote:Good times indeed.Really cool to have my eyes opened to world of surf guitar with Tubeswell's gear, a Jazzmaster with flatwounds and particularly the tube reverb unit and the Princeton.
If you want to find out more about Surf Guitar, check these free sg101 podcasts out:

http://surfguitar101.com/podcast/
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

tubeswell wrote:
TmcB wrote:Good times indeed.Really cool to have my eyes opened to world of surf guitar with Tubeswell's gear, a Jazzmaster with flatwounds and particularly the tube reverb unit and the Princeton.
If you want to find out more about Surf Guitar, check these free sg101 podcasts out:

http://surfguitar101.com/podcast/
Thanks man, will look into it!
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

A couple things stood out. Or more, I dunno.

Number one. 200 watt bass gorilla thrashing. (And resulting volume wars.)

Two. In Petone, the Edge-off competition reigned. Today, it was who can out-EVH each other :)

Three. I don't think anyone brought stink gear. Even the Dano (isn't that a 'cheap and cheerful' 50s brand?) baritone sounded awesome.

Four. Next time I'm bringing a pack of earplugs, not relying on charity. (Many thanks, Pete!)

Kind of a shame there wasn't more of a 'jam' atmosphere. There was more interest in the JCM800 than the 5e3 this time, probably because 5e3's can't bring the pain as far as volume goes compared to 200 watt bass amps.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Yeah, Pete was the man for bringing those earplugs, cheers heaps! Disappointed not to have a hoon on Alan's rig, but otherwise an epic day. Awesome to see you all, and Owen & Kara.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

Yeah well y'know, I just had like, this packet of earplugs
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I took a whole bunch of pics, hopefully covering everyone's gear... will sort through and post in the next day or so.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

slash-ed wrote:I took a whole bunch of pics, hopefully covering everyone's gear... will sort through and post in the next day or so.
Do it now! :mrgreen:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Sounds like a great day!

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Would have liked to play some of the LP's but A. no one brought a non-flash non-pirate LP, and B. no one wants to hear me play chords and pattern picking on a $6,000 instrument :)

Ed, I was very tempted to have a hoon on your Explorer... main reason I didn't was to make sure I didn't wind up $1100 poorer! Mean gat. The Mooer mistress beat the pants off my mistress clone, might have to buy one if I can't sort the Collosalus' clock noise issue out.

The really, really fancy TC Electronic aircraft carrier was highly impressive -- lots and lots and lots of sounds out of that. It looked like it would take a long time to learn how to drive it though.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

WHAT, HUH..... DID SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING?

:rofl:

cheers all for an awesome day. good to see familiar faces, and be able to put the face to some names too.
geez was it loud lol.

Tonys JTM45....fffffffuuuuuuu is that thing loud :zomg: :mental: glad it wasnt in the same room as the AC30 :shock:
nice gear there from all. and some nice playing too
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

hamo wrote:
slash-ed wrote:I took a whole bunch of pics, hopefully covering everyone's gear... will sort through and post in the next day or so.
Do it now! :mrgreen:
yes Feedback Samurai... we want pics... :winky: :rofl:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I had to leave a bit early which was a shame as I wanted to try my LP through JTM45 :evil:

Had a great time though watching and listening to everyone's gear. Tod's (improper) Gretch sounded great with the new pickups in it, could be tempted in that direction myself I think.

I don't get chance to crank my amps at home and I was surprised how bright my LP sounded today with the volumes up past 12, the tone controls were actually useful :thumbup:

Edit: Single D :thumbup:
Last edited by sizzlingbadger on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Single D Nik, single D...

And yep, good day. Had some fun today playing some Gibsons, I cared very deeply about how long the tenons were, and spent the whole time wishing I was playing a copy. Really enjoyed Sizzling's old LP, and actually really liked Ed's Explorer that is currently for sale. Really great guitar, despite the ridiculously high output pickups.
Lawrence's handmade guitars are phenomenal, and really really exquisitely made. Had a quick blast through the Splawn, that was really something else, really lovely sounding amp. Aside from that, everything was very loud, which I really enjoyed.

Some photos to follow.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ