Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7686 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Mini Gearfest w/ Digital things!

Post by jeremyb »

So... today we had a bit of a get together, Kris, Mark (Sopachrga), and myself. We had an AxeFx II, L6 Helix, and it's poor cousin my HD500X, and amp wise we had my L2T, Marks Matrix power amp and a 4x12, Kris' PA and an Orange tube head into another 4x12, EPIC.

Some pics....

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Re: Mini Gearfest w/ Digital things!

Post by Zaulkin »

Awesome. What were your thoughts on the comparisons? Also FRFR vs a speaker cab.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

ditto. moar infor needed

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

It's a tricky one, I think my favourite sound was Mark's AxeFx into the Orange head and 4x12, but it also sounded REALLY good into his Matrix and a 4x12, and Kris' PA, but not so hot into the L2T, which definitely favoured the HD & Helix...

The Helix definitely sounded better than the HD, and the output options and effects loop options are killer! But for the money I've spent I'm still happy with the HD & L2T setup, it's loud enough to keep up with my band, and with some patches I've downloaded last night I'm now super happy with my high gain sound :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

The L2T doing the FRFR was clipping with the output level of the Axe, which had to be turned down a lot, had reasonable level of volume but didn't compare to the 4x12 and Matrix... but then I didn't expect from a single 10" and a tweeter that it would. Sounded nice tho' once we get the levels sorted :)

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Was a little underwhelmed with the L2T to start with, until we figured out we just didn't know how to set it properly!
Once we got that figured, it certainly has some balls for a little unit.

Also took me a while to discover that I couldn't power my Axefx by plugging the power strip back in to itself..... *BlondeMoment*
Ummm....

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

I'll add my 2c when not at work trying to post via shitty cell keys...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

As a side-note, I'd been meaning to suggest a Gearfest if anybody's up for it before I shift south. Time might be tight now. Don't have anything in particular that I want to crank-up. Just an excuse for a day out.

Haven't forgotten the empty 112 by the way Kris. Just haven't been to Christchurch.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Always keen!

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

Molly wrote: Haven't forgotten the empty 112 by the way Kris. Just haven't been to Christchurch.
no worries mate-theres no rush to re-combo that old SS peavey i got lying around in the garage :rofl:

yesterday was interesting-it seemed like we all were validated in our choices of gear relative to our requirements!.I wanted to see if i could maybe get away with a downgrade to the hdx, but one look at the tiny screen and interface had me yearning for the big LCD of the helix heh! The L2 did indeed seem to pack a big punch for something so small,however i think the extra oomph of L3 would be a little more practical for me given the many hooks i need to hang my hats on..
The way the L series disperses the sound toook a little getting used to after being used to the beamyness of a cab-might be an issue when on a bigger stage.
The axe sounded fantastic but again the interface wasnt my deal- and id have to get a controller+rack...quite surprising how bright it was into the el34's of the orange vs the matrix,i can see why poeple opt for the matrix.
The other consensus was you really need to do your eq'ing at the jamroom-i'd spent no time with this and been a little frustrated at how dogshit my sounds were.So ive got a little homework now!
L3m could work for me -but i think i'd be better off extending the PA to include a powered sub for when i play bass (which is more than guitar these days).

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

How's the Helix in the weridcrazyshit effect department?
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

it rules-i was happy with the sounds on the firehawk fx but you were limited by only one delay/verb/whatever block-similar to the GT series boss stuff.This can have parallel chains going mad with allsorts of whack jobbery (dsp limited of course).

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

This really was the anti-forum fest, Mark and I with our Prestige Ibanezes, Kris with a BC Rich, and all digital gear :lol:

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:This really was the anti-forum fest, Mark and I with our Prestige Ibanezes, Kris with a BC Rich, and all digital gear :lol:
more of a progressive sciencefest then :mrgreen:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

jeremyb wrote:This really was the anti-forum fest, Mark and I with our Prestige Ibanezes, Kris with a BC Rich, and all digital gear :lol:
Digital gear is the best! Ibanezes too!
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world