Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Christchurch Gearfest June 10th 2017 - Pics page 13

Post by Molly »

mttn3 wrote:Hey what exactly were those little clip-on tuners that were being compared? I could do with something like that, one that's small and goes easy on the batteries.
Polytune. Bit spendy but I like mine.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

chur wrote:Soo... how did the Katanas go against the valve amps I see? Hold their own? Curious if any other glass lovers are now on the KOC waiting list?
I think they're great for the money but, honestly, what I heard didn't blow me away. I did say to someone that I thought there wasn't a bad tone in the room though. Of other people's gear I liked the Marshall head. Loud as hell and on the edge of break-up it sounded great with the R6 and the Epi semi actually. Not sure what pickups he's got in that but it's a nice sounding guitar.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Did anyone plug a Katana into a 4x12? If not you should have.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Did anyone plug a Katana into a 4x12? If not you should have.
No but we did plug a Micro Orange thing into my 412. Looked ridiculous but sounded great!

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Molly really needs a Marshall next I think.

Or a big KOC.

The Blankenship is a Marshall, it may have been modified (again) though which would take the edge of it from my experience.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Molly wrote:
chur wrote:Soo... how did the Katanas go against the valve amps I see? Hold their own? Curious if any other glass lovers are now on the KOC waiting list?
I think they're great for the money but, honestly, what I heard didn't blow me away. I did say to someone that I thought there wasn't a bad tone in the room though. Of other people's gear I liked the Marshall head. Loud as hell and on the edge of break-up it sounded great with the R6 and the Epi semi actually. Not sure what pickups he's got in that but it's a nice sounding guitar.
In hindsight mine was set at the same EQ settings I use at home. Much bigger space, flicked to 100w and volume pushed I noticed it sounded like it had more treble and gain (probably due to the higher volume). Didn't sound 'bad' per se but did need some tweaking.

Can't fault it for home or practise though, and yeah I'm sure it's giggable too as Matt has proven. Personally, tone wise I don't think it would stand up head to head with something like the JTM45 but the sheer options & versatility to it are it's main strength for me. That side of things makes it inspiring for me to plug into and maybe think/play/write in a different way than I usually would :-)

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

They don't sound bad by any account.
But I wouldn't have said they are up there with the top of the line modellers or actual valve amps.

But you wouldn't expect it for the price either.
Ummm....

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

sopachrga wrote:They don't sound bad by any account.
But I wouldn't have said they are up there with the top of the line modellers or actual valve amps.

But you wouldn't expect it for the price either.
Yeah I think this is a great point, there's no question they are amazing for the price!
But I imagine there is a big difference between the Axe FX at 3k and the Katana at $699?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

They're just very versatile, easy to use amps. So they blur the lines between easy to use valve gear and infinity twiddling modellers. And no, they wouldn't stack up against a dined out jtm45, but having owned one and only being able to dime it at one gig (outdoors festival) I'll take versatility anyway.

One great valve amp or 5 very good amps in one? No contest, especially at the price.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Yeah after owning the katana for 3 days I can safely say there is no way in hell it would ever knock the EVH of the block....but to me it does sound a lot better than any of the modellers I have owned (hd500, pod xt). It certainly does have the feel of a valve amp. The stock presets didn't get the tone I wanted but once I went into the tone studio and did some fiddling I got pretty close to the tone I NEED.

BBBBUUUTTTT this thing paired with the EVH in stereo is EPIC....I run the EVH completely dry effects are from the katana and I couldn't be happier (well maybe 3 EVH's would make me happier hehe). Now I just need to get a better A/BY box to stop the noise (mine doesn't have a polarity switch)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Molly wrote:
Seymour Duncan 59s. Did you notice when I went from the R6 to the Epi how much cleaner the humbuckers sounded? Those P90s just nicely grit the signal I think.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

willow13 wrote:Yeah after owning the katana for 3 days I can safely say there is no way in hell it would ever knock the EVH of the block....but to me it does sound a lot better than any of the modellers I have owned (hd500, pod xt). It certainly does have the feel of a valve amp. The stock presets didn't get the tone I wanted but once I went into the tone studio and did some fiddling I got pretty close to the tone I NEED.

BBBBUUUTTTT this thing paired with the EVH in stereo is EPIC....I run the EVH completely dry effects are from the katana and I couldn't be happier (well maybe 3 EVH's would make me happier hehe). Now I just need to get a better A/BY box to stop the noise (mine doesn't have a polarity switch)
Yeah, that's my plan once I find a good cab for my Jet City head. Run that one dry alongside the Katana :-)

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: Christchurch Gearfest June 10th 2017

Post by Vince »

Reg18 wrote:
Sorry... I'm being a bit tl;dr... What's the one in the background?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: Christchurch Gearfest June 10th 2017

Post by kdawg2a »

Vince wrote:
Reg18 wrote:
Sorry... I'm being a bit tl;dr... What's the one in the background?
1960s Kay Vanguard 2.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

mttn3
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by mttn3 »

Molly wrote:
mttn3 wrote:Hey what exactly were those little clip-on tuners that were being compared? I could do with something like that, one that's small and goes easy on the batteries.
Polytune. Bit spendy but I like mine.
Thanks! It was yours in particular I was watching as you tuned up, it looked swish.