mttn3
PRS
PRS
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Re: Christchurch Gearfest June 10th 2017 - Pics page 13

Post by mttn3 »

Oh yeah so those seymour triple shot pickup rings with the p-rail! I'd forgotten to go look thrm up until now. It's not a particularly modern development (late 2000s?) but seems like a good idea. One thing though, do you have to chop your pickup wires short? So if you wanted to use the pups elsewhere later you'd need to extend the wires again?

It's a good idea though, lots of tone options with discreet little switches and no extra routing.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Molly wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:Did anyone plug a Katana into a 4x12? If not you should have.
No
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Unless you've experienced the Katana head through a decent cab, you really haven't heard what the amp is capable of.

Looks like it was a fun day had by everybody there. Nice work Chch crew!
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

handsoffmatt wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Unless you've experienced the Katana head through a decent cab, you really haven't heard what the amp is capable of.
yep it wasn't until I got the speaker mix in my quad right for the katana to come to life...that I me taking a day or 2 to realise I could dial out the presets and run it "straight" as a "normal" amp and save those as the presets
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

sopachrga wrote:

Mattallica wrote:

I actually found your gear talk really interesting, possibly because your kind of setup and drop-tuned guitar sound is alien to me. When you hit a chord it sounded like you were tuned to B or something insane!

Cool for sure :-)

Ha! You and everyone else i reckon, except maybe Mark? that's a good way to describe it.

It was only drop D :lol:

Yeah, most of my guitars there were tuned to C so dropped D still sounded pretty happy.

Nothing wrong with drop C! I spent the best part of 5 years playing in a band tuned to drop C. It just makes everything you play sound a bit meaner.
My brother in law is into djent and they are another step down again I think, hard to cut through in the mix below drop C though in my opinion.
From now on i shall refer to drop D as the "Happy" tuning :lol:

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

Oh yeah so those seymour triple shot pickup rings with the p-rail! I'd forgotten to go look thrm up until now. It's not a particularly modern development (late 2000s?) but seems like a good idea. One thing though, do you have to chop your pickup wires short? So if you wanted to use the pups elsewhere later you'd need to extend the wires again?

It's a good idea though, lots of tone options with discreet little switches and no extra routing.
Chopping them is up to you, i managed to coil up and tape the wires underneath the pickup, then stuff it all back into the cavity.

The main thing for you is to check the screw holes for the rings line up with the ones on your guitar, as the arched ring set is made specifically for Gibson guitars. You'll probably need to do some sanding of the ring bases to get a snug fit too

mttn3
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by mttn3 »

Mattallica wrote:

Chopping them is up to you, i managed to coil up and tape the wires underneath the pickup, then stuff it all back into the cavity.

The main thing for you is to check the screw holes for the rings line up with the ones on your guitar, as the arched ring set is made specifically for Gibson guitars. You'll probably need to do some sanding of the ring bases to get a snug fit too
Good points, thanks. Now i have to spot them on sale or second hand somewhere haha.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Thanks to everyone who turned up. Was nice to go around everyone's gear ... apologies to Corey for having to duck away with out getting to showcase his rig - the new guys would have loved to hear that.

I don't think I touched a guitar the whole day - for which most were well pleased.

Nice to see so many new faces - and always nice to see people that I haven't seen for awhile (not you JB).

Church was humbled by the koha from everyone although you were heard 8 houses away - lol - no complaints though.

Next time I think we'll run power to the middle and have everyone's rigs in the middle of the room pointing away from each other. That should cut down the cross talk and need to have it 'matt-loud' (kdawg2a) which is the new standard by which aircraft noise is measured.

And thanks again to all for being respectful of the church and it's religious-ness.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

NZRS-Dave wrote:
Next time I think we'll run power to the middle and have everyone's rigs in the middle of the room pointing away from each other. That should cut down the cross talk and need to have it 'matt-loud' (kdawg2a) which is the new standard by which aircraft noise is measured.
That's a good idea. Thanks again to y'self and JB for sorting it out. Can we have another one soon? I've just changed my entire set-up. LOL

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Molly wrote:That's a good idea. Thanks again to y'self and JB for sorting it out. Can we have another one soon? I've just changed my entire set-up. LOL
*strokes BE100 head*

ME soothingly - "See, I told you it wouldn't last long with that man"

lol :)
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

NZRS-Dave wrote:I don't think I touched a guitar the whole day - for which most were well pleased.
Then how did you cover up your wang?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

NZRS-Dave wrote:*strokes BE100 head*

:lol:
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

NZRS-Dave wrote:
Molly wrote:That's a good idea. Thanks again to y'self and JB for sorting it out. Can we have another one soon? I've just changed my entire set-up. LOL
*strokes BE100 head*

lol :)
Sadly the BE head never reached me. I need RS to have a GST off day. And I need several thousand dollars more than I had yesterday.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Post by kdawg2a »

NZRS-Dave wrote:Thanks to everyone who turned up. Was nice to go around everyone's gear ... apologies to Corey for having to duck away with out getting to showcase his rig - the new guys would have loved to hear that.

I don't think I touched a guitar the whole day - for which most were well pleased.

Nice to see so many new faces - and always nice to see people that I haven't seen for awhile (not you JB).

Church was humbled by the koha from everyone although you were heard 8 houses away - lol - no complaints though.

And thanks again to all for being respectful of the church and it's religious-ness.
'Matt-loud'. That's awesome. I'm now a thing!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

I reckon Matts position and volume level was exactly what it needed to be \m/

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Who owns the Lord Player? Is it a set neck model? How did it stack up against nosbiG?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.