1962 SG Special

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1378 times
Been liked: 2107 times

1962 SG Special

Post by GrantB »

ash wrote:.... so annoying wank jobs like this one will cost lots more than simple, practical ones.
Fixed
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: 1962 SG Special

Post by ash »

The SG isn't really in the annoying wank category. Its challenging, but not in the same league as refinishing a laminated acoustic in gloss trans black, for example.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 747 times
Been liked: 516 times

Post by Zaulkin »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Fark, it wasn't that awful was it? I know me sleeping outside the work shop and saying "is it finished yet?" every 20 seconds wasn't helpful....

Actually, it raises a point...if Ash is quitting refin's (and in my book I wouldn't go to anyone else), who is left bar Zettwitz? Me no likey the options here.

I thought Zettwits sold their spray gun/equipment?

GrantB
ADMIN

1962 SG Special

Post by GrantB »

Not sure. Some years back I got a quote to do a Gretsch from them and I figured I shouldn't go there when they said "what's a 6120?".
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Well, I touched it on Monday night. Even though I'd had a pint of IPA at Galbraiths minutes earlier I could still muster a semi.

Looking very sharp in the most perfect vintage white. The binding and side dots look the real McCoy and Ash's perfect fret work is no doubt going to be a dream to play. Neck feels like it's been bolstered by a lot but only 1mm I am told.

The "onlymusic" repro wiring loom should be here any day now and I should get these covers sorted. I will be wanting to play it within minutes of having in my hands.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Covers are sorted.

These are real Gibson covers so they had the exact correct spacing for the vintage P90's. However they were way too tall and way too *new* - because they were.

Some hacksawing down and a special ageing process that included concrete, steel sheet screws, wire wool, some screw drivers, a paint heat gun and 4 Steinlager Pure's and I got this...

FYI, bridge pickup reads 8.3k and looks to be '63 ish, and neck pickup is 7.47K and is probably a '58-'60 -ish.
Attachments
p90aged.jpg

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Good stuff, I can't wait to see it finished!

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

Excuse my ignorance, but if the rest of the guitar is being restored, why age the pickup covers?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

OpenCoil wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but if the rest of the guitar is being restored, why age the pickup covers?
No ignorance at all...that's a good question.

The pickguard, knobs (except one) and pickups (well, not from this guitar, but would have been from a similar/same model at the same time) are all original and old looking...the pickguard is warped and scratched. Being black plastic type substance I wanted these covers to match that mainly. They aren't heavily worn...just enough to mimic the normal twisting and warping (heat gun!) they do over 50 years, and some scratches.

But onto the guitar - Ash has finished this in a yellow tinted clear to give it an aged lacquer look. On top of that I intend to overly thrash it in the next two years and create some real play wear on the white. In theory I hope to achieve a clean but well used look quickly.

I just want to play the thing....I'm going mad.... :lol: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :roll: :| :mrgreen: :shock: :o

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

Fair enough, makes perfect sense, and I had sort of figured that's what was going on with the rest of the plastic, and that the finish would be aged looking too. Cool stuff.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

OH MY GAWD!

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Divine. That headstock photo looks awesome.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Wow, that's fantastic, great pics!
Tin arse!!

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

none whiter
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass