Anyone know about hoyer archtops?

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

tubeswell
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Anyone know about hoyer archtops?

Post by tubeswell »

I have a Hoyer Expo I inherited from my brother about 9 years ago, which I am trying to verify the age of. I think it is 1960. I Have seen the Hoyer tribute site here:

http://grimmusic.grimfacts.org/hoyerguitars.html

There is a pic of another identical looking one here (which claims to be 1960, but there is little other information anywhere that I can find):

http://www.guitarmaniacs.de/html/users/ ... oyer.shtml

I love playing this guitar and I have had the neck worked on a bit over the last 4 or so years (it now boasts a box and girder truss done by Mel from Weta Guitars and the action is pretty slick). I know that a lot of German guitars were imported to NZ in the 50s and 60s (as NZ's economic part of the post WWII reconstruction of German industry :? ) Anyone with any info on these guitars please chime in.

Last edited by tubeswell on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Re: Anyone know about hoyer archtops?

Post by dayl »

Not really but nice gat you have there.

I almost grabbed one off Trademe a couple years back when I thought that I was going to be a Jazz musician and wanted something that looked a little more cosher. I got out bid... which was for the best.

I remember finding some old catalouges online also. No doubt some of the people here would have come across one or two in their travels.

Cheers

timj47
Stagg
Stagg

Re: Anyone know about hoyer archtops?

Post by timj47 »

I think Clapton started on one of these....could be wrong but it was mentioned in his book