1962 SG Special

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1389 times
Been liked: 2133 times

Re: 1962 SG Special

Post by GrantB »

So another call out there for parts. Real Gibson P90 covers in black. Anyone got them? They have to be the OEM Gibson parts as virtually every after market version has a different shoulder and pole piece countersink. Happy to pay retail or whatever. Better still, anyone got any really old ones?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Update: the guitar is now at the polishing stage...so we're only weeks away.

Pics will follow but I can't get to Ash's flickr a/c from work.

I'm having issues fitting modern (real) Gibson P90 covers on the vintage P90's - I knew it would be that way. Some serious grinding on the plastic covers is in order.

Then I have to make a rear cavity plate - 15 minute job.

Repro 60's vintage loom on order.

Correct TRC obtained.

Knob standing at attention.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

That's fantastic!
Tin arse!!

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

your avatar looks like it's doing the painting for you too...
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

GrantB
ADMIN

1962 SG Special

Post by GrantB »

Cheers for the links

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Looks awesome, can't wait to see it finished! :)

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

*UNIQUE* wrote:So Ash has stripped it back to the bare wood and it really does have a magical ring to it...especially the neck area.
!
I don't know what the smeg the old fella does, but an Ash refin certainly does bring the old bastard geetars alive!!!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Post by Slowy »

Rog wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote:So Ash has stripped it back to the bare wood and it really does have a magical ring to it...especially the neck area.
!
I don't know what the smeg the old fella does, but an Ash refin certainly does bring the old bastard geetars alive!!!
Maybe you & I should get an Ash refinish, Rog?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

NFR; NI.

No floyd rose, not interested.

:lol:

If it's the holy grail to you, that's cool as. But me (and my little buddy Steve) needs somethings tos fixs thes mistakez
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Sounds like the perfect time to mention that i'm not doing refinishing any more ;)
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Fark, it wasn't that awful was it? I know me sleeping outside the work shop and saying "is it finished yet?" every 20 seconds wasn't helpful....

Actually, it raises a point...if Ash is quitting refin's (and in my book I wouldn't go to anyone else), who is left bar Zettwitz? Me no likey the options here.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

ash wrote:Sounds like the perfect time to mention that i'm not doing refinishing any more ;)
How come Ash?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

I won't quit forever, because as you say therte aren't many trustworthy options out there. I'll reassess my facilities and collaborators in January and come up with some other means of providing refinishing services.
Pricing will be based on how long it actually takes rather than flat rate so annoying wank jobs will cost lots more than simple, practical ones.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

thehenderson wrote:
ash wrote:Sounds like the perfect time to mention that i'm not doing refinishing any more ;)
How come Ash?
Partly trolling Slowfingers and Rog ;)

But mostly because: lacquer is very unhealthy, my facilities here are no longer completely suitable for a consistently perfect job, people have unreasonable expectations, only some jobs actually pay what it costs, other people in the workshop are making it difficult to get the jobs done, I have enough new guitar finishing to outstay my welcome without adding refinishes to the burden.