The vintage market Nov 2010

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1361 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Re: The vintage market Nov 2010

Post by GrantB »

kdawg2a wrote:Cheers Slowfingers! I was kind of hoping to make a bit of an income suppliment by doing these but it seems there really isn't that much of a market here. I guess most 'artists' don't make much money until they're dead which is a bit of a worry. I'll make 10 more then drive my car into a tree and see how the sales go then.....
I know some people who know some people that you could get a hit organised...look more real then and have an added wow factor!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

And kdawg2a, see my PM to you....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

*UNIQUE* wrote:
kdawg2a wrote:Cheers Slowfingers! I was kind of hoping to make a bit of an income suppliment by doing these but it seems there really isn't that much of a market here. I guess most 'artists' don't make much money until they're dead which is a bit of a worry. I'll make 10 more then drive my car into a tree and see how the sales go then.....
I know some people who know some people that you could get a hit organised...look more real then and have an added wow factor!
Newspaper headline, 'Electric guitar fraudster killed in mafia hit'.................AWESOME!!!!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

Oh yeah, I sent you a reply a couple of hours ago Unique. Ahhhh, I think? Damn computers!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Post by Slowy »

Put your own name on them. I understand why there's a Fender tag but it does cause issues for some of us.
I can't help thinking that the only reason for adding a brand name is to increase value and that, by definition, is fraud. I'm not accusing you because I know you state clearly that they're not Fenders, but the moment you have sold the instrument, the potential exists.

Nash Guitars, Kingbee and others are making reputations for great playing, good looking relics. I've never played your work but geez, they look good. Be proud of them. I'd be happier playing a Kdawg Custom Relic than a Fender Notacaster any day. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Kdawg, I think your guitars look awesome, and for me, having the Fender logo on them is a plus - legal issues aside - because I like my Strat's to say Fender on them - although I wonder how long before you get in trouble.

I was seriously looking into your guitars at one point, but for me the price is just a bit prohibitive. If you could get them down to say $2k I think you'd sell more (they're a bit more than that aren't they?).

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

mr_sooty wrote:Kdawg, I think your guitars look awesome, and for me, having the Fender logo on them is a plus - legal issues aside - because I like my Strat's to say Fender on them - although I wonder how long before you get in trouble.

I was seriously looking into your guitars at one point, but for me the price is just a bit prohibitive. If you could get them down to say $2k, maybe $2.5K I think you'd sell more.
Well it just so happens that i'm looking for 2k for the tele and 2.5k for the Strat! As far as the 'Fender' thing goes, the decals are applied on top of the lacquer (just like all pre 68 Fenders) and can be easily removed (just like all pre 68 Fenders!). The only reason i've been putting them on so far is that enevitably the ones I sell will end up with them. Doing it myself makes sure the correct logo for the 'year' of guitar is maintained. I have been thinking about leaving them off, maybe giving buyers the old wink wink, secret handshake option on them if they want. I'm not out to rip anyone off, I just think my product does a way better job than the sanctioned version and costs a whole lot less too. I'd love you guys to try these, I think you'd be well impressed!

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Leave them off and yeah, do a nudge nudge as an option...sounds kinky, but I like it.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

kdawg2a wrote:I'd love you guys to try these, I think you'd be well impressed!
I don't doubt it man, from the pics they look awesome. If I lived in Christchurch I'd definitely come around and give them a blat.

Headless
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Headless »

*UNIQUE* wrote: In saying that my bro in laws '76 is one of the best playing and sounding Strats I've ever come across.
:D :D :D

Wow, and the UNIQUE endorsement must add at least 20% I reckon ;-)

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

yeah, but what about the 50% family discount?

Headless
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Headless »

*UNIQUE* wrote:yeah, but what about the 50% family discount?
I'll keep that in mind next time you're selling....

Hmmmm I fancy an LP :wink: