Made in Japan

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Made in Japan

Post by calling card »

My Son turned up with this last week, found it on top of a wardrobe. No identification, only shadows of a sticker which I'm guessing would have read "Teisco". Has some authentic relic'ing, judging by the nature of the rust with hints of green in places and the amount of dust & grime underneath things looks about 40yrs old. I pulled it to bits & gave it a good going over. Body is 27mm plywood, spirited little thing, as my son said when he plugged it in after hastily stringing up with some old strings - "it wants to live!". Has a very lively tone unplugged - not a tone that I could love and the nut spacing is a little crammed for big fingers but plays quite well. The tremolo is clever and s fairly simple effective thing, I like it. Oldest living fossil in my collection, will surface at a gearfest sometime.
Photo shoot in the carpark @ work:

Last edited by calling card on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Made in Japan

Post by badmotor »

I had something very similar to that about 8 years ago - mine was labelled Marrinucci. Had a hot pickup and sounded very cool.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Looks TEISCO factory/style but probably had a different brand name on it (there were a few...)

I have one of these: Image they are fun guitars. Frets on mine are a bit worn in places so I put the action up and use it for slide in open G. The pickups sound amazing!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1361 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Frey wrote:all I can say is good luck getting that bridge to intonate.
Isn't that part of the quirkyness of these?

I like it. Tronfest outing?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Yep, will pile it in there with the rest for a Tron visit - no hurry.

Just adding to other comments about the pickups, yes this one is quite hot. No illusions about this being a great or rare guitar. If you were to compare it with motorbikes Gibson & Fender would be the Harley & Triumphs, this one would be the little Yamaha trail bike that got saved from going into landfill years ago.
Many a kid must have learnt the craft on such things.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

that's a bit harsh on gibson and fender.

okay..it's a bit harsh on fender.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass