1972 Telecaster

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: 1972 Telecaster

Post by GrantB »

voodoochild wrote:That's lush! The relic'ing looks very authentic. How do you get the polly to chip? Would love to see a family shot of your guitars as it seams you have quite the exquisite collection
I think the trick to get it chipping is to use nitro, not poly! So this is where the '70's authenticity bit goes out the window. Fender used a base called Fullerplast which is bascially indestructable, and then used a soft solvent based lacquer over top (not sure of the make up of that). On this one we did a traditional grain fill, sealer, colour (see through blonde) and then amber clear nitro. It chips kinda well now but I suspect in a year or so it will be nice and hard and even easier to chip. All I did really was mimick my '73 Strat relic'ing - not over the top, but realistic dings and wear patterns. Pretty easy really.

Oh, just realised you might have meant cracking...I used a mix of sharp xacto knife and freeze spray and a heat gun. Cracks real good...score the line, heat the surface a little, spray on the lacquer and bam, instant aging. Reason I scored some of it was that just using freeze spray can give an artifical sort of spider web cracking, as opposed to the linear cracks that appear on old finishes. I still couldn't avoid that 100% but it looks very convincing up close.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

A new low. I hope you're proud of yourself.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

So I got this thing about 2 yrs ago. Cheeseboy and I were furiously bidding against each other. He got the wobbles when they posted another shot showing the frets (can't find that pic).

Only reason I took the risk on this was that it had a local pickup (well, Putaruru). Seller had poor feedback, and I assumed if they didn't stump with the goods, no cash would exchange. I arrived there and the place had a few massive dogs tied up outside, and they had car tires as play things (ripped to shreds)! What looked a human rib cage with meat still on it sat beside one of them - both just stared at me (assume the rib cage was a pigs...). I was scared enough to ring my wife, give her the time frame in which to expect me to call back and the street address of where I was. Of course, my fears were unfounded as I am still alive to tell this story, but fresh undies were in order afterwards. As seems to be a regular occurrence with my dealings the last few years, these guys really needed to moolah. It was a good win/win.

It's been sitting at my place unfinished for some time mainly due to other projects, and the removal of the Fullerplast was incredibly time consuming.

In the end, I am very happy with the result. Glyn is rewinding/repairing the neck pickup that came with it (not original - probably older?).

It will be at the Tronfest.
Attachments
111624739_full.jpg
111624763_full.jpg
110992509_full.jpg
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

More...ain't that paint job something else!
Attachments
111624694_full.jpg
111624794_full.jpg
111148376_full.jpg
111624718_full.jpg

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Dude, you completely ruined it!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

I think I recall seeing that on TM at the time. Nice save. I like the look of a '70s Tele in blonde.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

BG wrote:Dude, you completely ruined it!
Agreed. Although others out there are keepin' it real....

Even on acoustics

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

awesome! Its not to late, you could get that pickguard...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

BG wrote:awesome! Its not to late, you SHOULD get that pickguard...!!!

Fixed... emphatically

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I'll think about it...really, I will.

Payforit
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Payforit »

That's awesome!