Vintage Fender Experts

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1360 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Vintage Fender Experts

Post by GrantB »

Hi - I am not well versed in the vintage Fender world at all. I have some rough ideas about values of things I've obsessed about in the past (like Jazzmasters) but when it comes down to the wire I'm not in a good position to make an informed decision about the real "worth" of an old Fender. Even more so in todays fickle and depressed vintage guitar market.

Which leads me to where I am today, needing to make an informed decision about an old Fender.

If you *are* an expert on vintage Fenders, particularly pre CBS Strats, I would very much like to hear your views on something specific. Please PM me though for that specific discussion - I won't be posting information about this particular instrument for now.

However, feel free to mock me and my afliction as per normal below.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Vintage Fender Experts

Post by Vorbis »

I thought you were Fender incapable?
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I think that I was oft misunderstood (so therefore everyone elses fault, not mine :wink: ) in that quote. Here's the translation:

"I love Fenders but I cannot make them sound any good"

As opposed to "Gibson rules, Fender sucks"....which I what I believe some did think I meant.

So yeah, I am Fender incapable. But I'm willing to keep trying.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Strat>Treble Booster>AC30
Strat>Treble Booster>Marshall Major
Strat>Very Large Marshall Stack
Strat>Hiwatt

Seems to be the best way to get them to sound good. Also, not playing any Clapton licks on them, as they certainly don't sound any good on a strat.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Clapton's tone on a Fender is as desirable to me as a fork in my eye is.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Clapton's tone on a Fender is as desirable to me as a fork in my eye is.
It really depends on what you class as good Strat tone I suppose. Did Hendrix have a good tone?

In defence of Claptout, I never understood why he didn't just play Gibson les Paul's or 335's as that was always the tone I think he was wanting with his Strats...perhaps Gibson wouldn't make him a V neck :wink:
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Vorbis wrote:
I never understood why he didn't just play Gibson les Paul's or 335's as that was always the tone I think he was wanting with his Strats...
I think the same thing could possibly be said about me.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Polar Bear wrote:Strat>Treble Booster>AC30
Strat>Treble Booster>Marshall Major
Strat>Very Large Marshall Stack
Strat>Hiwatt

Seems to be the best way to get them to sound good. Also, not playing any Clapton licks on them, as they certainly don't sound any good on a strat.
I think a Strat with a treble booster thru a Vox would slice the top of your head clean off, I never liked Strats thru Marshall amps either. I tried a Strat thru a classic 30 once and that was probably the worst.

You have to marry your Strat with the right amp, the one Ryan made me (review still pending :oops: ) is absolutely sublime. I have a cheap partsocaster that has more spank, quack and jangly strattyness than any Strat I've owned when plugged through that thing.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Watching this space - bring it on home!
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Vorbis wrote: I think a Strat with a treble booster thru a Vox would slice the top of your head clean off
+1. Doesn't sound like a pleasant recipe to me.
I never liked Strats thru Marshall amps either.
-1 (Depending on the particular model - A Strat through the 1974x sounds great. Hendrix seemed to get some good sounds through a Marshall too.)
I tried a Strat thru a classic 30 once and that was probably the worst.
- 1. I think they work great with the Peavey Classics, apart from the confused midrange.
You have to marry your Strat with the right amp.
+1. So we're even. :wink:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2488 times

Post by Slowy »

*UNIQUE* wrote:I think that I was oft misunderstood (so therefore everyone elses fault, not mine :wink: ) in that quote. Here's the translation:

"I love Fenders but I cannot make them sound any good"

As opposed to "Gibson rules, Fender sucks"....which I what I believe some did think I meant.

So yeah, I am Fender incapable. But I'm willing to keep trying.
Talk to Blackstrat Blues.
He KNOWS. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

mr_sooty wrote:
Vorbis wrote: I think a Strat with a treble booster thru a Vox would slice the top of your head clean off
+1. Doesn't sound like a pleasant recipe to me.
I never liked Strats thru Marshall amps either.
-1 (Depending on the particular model - A Strat through the 1974x sounds great. Hendrix seemed to get some good sounds through a Marshall too.)
I tried a Strat thru a classic 30 once and that was probably the worst.
- 1. I think they work great with the Peavey Classics, apart from the confused midrange.
You have to marry your Strat with the right amp.
+1. So we're even. :wink:
Of course you're probably both thinking of running a strat into the Top Boost channel. Both Rory Gallagher and Richie Blackmore did a pretty good job of getting great tone with a treble booster into an AC30, which would most likely have been in the Normal channel.

Also, Blackmore and even Yngvie know how to get good tone out of a strat and a MArshall, which is what I was getting at, as opposed to just randomly listing amp and guitar combinations.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Post by Bg »

Rorys tone into the AC30 ruled :) and I've always loved strat into Marshall tone.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7738 times
Been liked: 4182 times

Post by jeremyb »

Don't waste your time on Strats, go straight to Teles :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Polar Bear wrote:
Also, Blackmore and even Yngvie know how to get good tone out of a strat and a MArshall, which is what I was getting at, as opposed to just randomly listing amp and guitar combinations.
So you're talking overdriven tones ala Blackmore and Yngwie (stacked humbuckers btw :wink: ) as opposed to clean (or slightly hairy) Strat tone?

I mean Grant set fire to a ceriatone and still can't find a Strat tone he likes...lost cause? $5k-$50k on a vintage won't sound any better than $2k on a modern US, although you'll be able to keep all your credit cards in the gap of the neck pocket (psst I have a cure for that problem :wink: )