Vintage Fender Experts

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Vintage Fender Experts

Post by Vorbis »

Hot_Grits wrote:I'm no pre-cbs fender expert. Played less than ten of them.

But I can tell you this: I've never met a vintage-style fender that wouldn't have benefitted from a refret with larger wire and a flattening of the neck radius.

I think those two things can go an awful long way toward reducing Fender-incapability among the Gibson/Gretsch native.
That's less than 10 more than I've ever played...
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Intriguing...not even a 62 reissue Custom Shop could do it.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Nice guitar...no mojo.

I have owned many Gibson with limited mojo also...

The common element throughout is me...either I am extremely fussy or incompetent. I'd like to think a combination of the worst elements of each.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Yeah it sure was pretty, I played it at a tronfest and felt bewildered why I liked my partsocaster better. Kind of like a new pair of boots that don't fit right. Thought maybe it needed years of torture to make it good.
My 62 Jap reissue has a personality that is still in it's infancy, will grow in time and playing. Visually everything about it looks so right. There's something that strats do when the open strings ring on when releasing from doing other riffage.
I've heard the sound bloom as the surface finish grew thinner and thinner on the partsocaster.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Hot_Grits wrote: I've never met a vintage-style fender that wouldn't have benefitted from a refret with larger wire and a flattening of the neck radius.
Yeah that's the only thing that turns me off Vintage style Fenders. I'd love to get one of these Thin Skin AVRI's they do with the 9.5 radius and 6105 frets though.
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electric ... /index.htm

electric68
Ashton
Ashton

Post by electric68 »

I guess all of the above is why there isn't just one generic model of guitar in the world. When thinking about what is THE ONE, the answer is always "it depends" (like any good consultant would respond to any question).

I dropped into Jackson's Rare Guitars in Sydney a few months ago (holy smokes is that place over-priced!) and tried a series of Strats, including a 57, 62, and some Custom Shop models. I played them all through the same Bad Cat (30 watt I recall). I really, really REALLY wanted to lust after the 57. To me it was meh, didn't like the tone. I preferred the slightly hotter, crisper sound of a particular Custom Shop re-issue (can't recall the one now, as it was all a futile exercise in what I can't afford).

I do have/have had a number of strats, and the 2nd best sounding is my '83 2-pot job, which defies explanation. My absolute best-sounding strat isn't a strat - it's an Asher Ultra-Tone.

p.s. Jackson's wanted AUD$75,000 for the 57. Might as well been One Beellion Dollahs. J
Myself, being a Bear of Little Brain....

CJ
Ashton
Ashton

Post by CJ »

*UNIQUE* wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote:I'm no pre-cbs fender expert. Played less than ten of them.

But I can tell you this: I've never met a vintage-style fender that wouldn't have benefitted from a refret with larger wire and a flattening of the neck radius.

I think those two things can go an awful long way toward reducing Fender-incapability among the Gibson/Gretsch native.
I hear ya.
Philistines! HTFU! It would then become a plank. You may as well cut 3/4" off the scale length while you're at it
I didn't get where I am today by understanding humour.......

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

Actually, one reason I enjoy my '92 MIM Strat is for the vintage frets. So plonking jumbos in there would totally ruin the feel of the guitar for me.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Rog wrote:Actually, one reason I enjoy my '92 MIM Strat is for the vintage frets. So plonking jumbos in there would totally ruin the feel of the guitar for me.
Well good for you, cub scout.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

jeremyb wrote:There's a reason most beginners buy Strats :mrgreen:
Maybe because it's the most copied guitar of all time?

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

*UNIQUE* wrote: Guys often talk about "the one" re Strats...
Yeah but most of the time those guys are still looking for 'the one', which may or may not exist. I'm starting to believe it's a myth. Or maybe 'the one' exists but it's just out of my price range.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

Hot_Grits wrote:
Rog wrote:Actually, one reason I enjoy my '92 MIM Strat is for the vintage frets. So plonking jumbos in there would totally ruin the feel of the guitar for me.
Don't forget - I have both. My MIA is a '98 and has med jumbo frets, so I know that feel too. I feel that changing out vintage frets in the guitar Grant is talking about would be a mistake, just because someone else prefers jumbos.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Rog wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote:
Don't forget - I have both. My MIA is a '98 and has med jumbo frets, so I know that feel too. I feel that changing out vintage frets in the guitar Grant is talking about would be a mistake, just because someone else prefers jumbos.
He could get the vintage, pull the neck, sell it on ebay and put a decent 9.5" radius med jumbo US neck on, upgrade the pots and pickups and refinish the scratched up body.
Hang on...?
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Now we're talkin'...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Vorbis wrote: He could get the vintage, pull the neck, sell it on ebay and put a decent 9.5" radius med jumbo US neck on, upgrade the pots and pickups and refinish the scratched up body.
Hang on...?
...while you're at it, put a Humbucker in the bridge and get it routed for a Floyd Rose.