Vintage Fender Experts

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Vintage Fender Experts

Post by Hot_Grits »

Rog wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote:
Rog wrote:Actually, one reason I enjoy my '92 MIM Strat is for the vintage frets. So plonking jumbos in there would totally ruin the feel of the guitar for me.
Well good for you, cub scout.
Don't forget - I have both. My MIA is a '98 and has med jumbo frets, so I know that feel too. I feel that changing out vintage frets in the guitar Grant is talking about would be a mistake, just because someone else prefers jumbos.
Personal preferences aside, destroying originality and vintage spec is always a very serious consideration with a vintage piece. This is where 'player grade' vintage instruments become a very practical place to look: guitars that have already been refinished, refretted, modded...

I was just prescribing the things I would do to make a player of Grant's preferences more comfortable with older fender instruments, based on discussions I've had with Grant had in the past. Hence the reference to 'Gibson/Gretsch native'.

I hope I didn't confuse you by lacking the use of YMMV, IMO or any written disclaimers of that variety.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

mr_sooty wrote:
Vorbis wrote: He could get the vintage, pull the neck, sell it on ebay and put a decent 9.5" radius med jumbo US neck on, upgrade the pots and pickups and refinish the scratched up body.
Hang on...?
...while you're at it, put a Humbucker in the bridge and get it routed for a Floyd Rose.
Oh..and scallop that new neck as well. Then, have someone relic it so it looks like a genuine old vintage 60's Strat, get it refretted with smaller vintage frets and scour ebay for all the old parts that people sell from old 60's vintage Strats. Install parts. Sell on trademe for huge loss.

NZG, solving the worlds problems since ages ago.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

Hot_Grits wrote:I hope I didn't confuse you by lacking the use of YMMV, IMO or any written disclaimers of that variety.
Nope. You confused me with the quote "Well good for you, cub scout". I have no idea at all what that means.... :?:
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

mr_sooty wrote:
Vorbis wrote: He could get the vintage, pull the neck, sell it on ebay and put a decent 9.5" radius med jumbo US neck on, upgrade the pots and pickups and refinish the scratched up body.
Hang on...?
...while you're at it, put a Humbucker in the bridge and get it routed for a Floyd Rose.
Remind's me of a Paul Kossoff guitar, now owned by a Mr. D Murray 8)

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Deal failure.

Sellers remorse before the funds changed hands. Guitar is at my place, will return.

It's a friend so no drama; regardless it is disappointing. I actually liked it and could play it.

Back to the Gibson/Gretsch lair.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

A farewell photo?....please
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

better swap out those lace sensors you put in :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Bummer, sounds like it would have been an exciting aquisition. Your friend sounds a bit like me, and this Strat sale that never took place sounds a bit like one that never took place between me and Robnobcorncob.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Deal failure.

Sellers remorse before the funds changed hands. Guitar is at my place, will return.

It's a friend so no drama; regardless it is disappointing. I actually liked it and could play it.

Back to the Gibson/Gretsch lair.
:(
Since you've been such a tease, would you at least tell us what it is?
Pretty please?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I'll post a suitably saucy shot of at lest part of it....

It may end up being like that 335....which took the better part of a year to negotiate...seems like still it's not 100%. I can wait.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

I shed a tear watching my 62ri slip beneath the waves and about a year later it returned.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

I love my 62RI JM and Jag. Once you get the hang of setting up the bridges and saddles properly, and string them with decent flats they scream.

Now back to the thread...
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

tubeswell - are you in dredge mode?

This guitar remains at my good friends house...like me he loves all (guitar) things old and letting go of something ain't easy. The great thing is, I can still visit it if need be and I know it's in good hands. That's probably the most important thing. I'm sure he's reading this...thinking "hmm, can I live without it?.....No, I can't!"

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

I love my 62ri Strat...even more so than then.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

FunkUncle wrote:tubeswell - are you in dredge mode?
Yeah I can't get any work done today and I've got a headache
He who dies with the most toobs... wins