The Group Shot - Gibson

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

The Group Shot - Gibson

Post by GrantB »

I thought I’d get my Gibson fleet out for some shots – and Tronfest prep. I tend to pick the one I’m using on a night up from storage on the way through so it’s rare to have them all together. I tend to have a couple at home to twiddle on at all times.

The shots all age from left to right, left being the oldest instrument of that grouping. The groupings are Les Pauls, other solid body, hollow body. I will edit into each shot the line up after posting.

It’s taken me some time to get to this line up and there isn’t a dud amongst them – that net number from a gross of probably 25-30 Gibsons over the last 10 years. I didn’t really “get” Gibson’s until about 2000 when I got the 1956 LP Special…it was a revelation. But I was still way off from realising the sonic potential – I had to move to my (no longer owned) Top Hat Super Deluxe around 2007 for that to happen. Once I realised you could get the amp to overdrive and retain tone my GAS increased dramatically…and here’s the result (with Gibson anyway).

'56 LP Special, '74 LP Deluxe, '99 R9, '06 R7, '07 R4
The R7 and R4 are special orders (not be me). The '56 really only has the pickups, wood and bits (studs, strap buttons, rear covers) original. Refin and other newer parts make it a players gat. R9 is modded with cool things but the Throbak MVX's and the Pigtail tailpiece/stud set are the jewels.

'62 SG (Les Paul) Special, '65 Firebird V, '69 SG Standard

The 62 is a refin by Ash. The others are 100% stock.

'60 ES-335, '66/'67 Trini Lopez Standard
The 335 has had resto work done but only the bridge and the tuners are non original in terms of hardware. The PAF's sound as one would expect. The Trini is chimey and honky - I love that tone. Pat decal pickups. Other than repro correct tuners, all orginal.

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: The Group Shot - Gibson

Post by robnobcorncob »

Nice one Grant. Does your '60s SG Standard have the skinnier nut width?

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Mmm.

Love the burst/flame LP - what's the story on that one?

Interesting to see that the non-rev Firebird has a belly cut.

Love the 335 and the Trini!

Now I'm super gutted I didn't have the time to make it over to your place when I was working at Huntly. :(
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

slash-ed wrote:Now I'm super gutted I didn't have the time to make it over to your place when I was working at Huntly. :(
Prolly worked out better...I'd have had to have killed you afterwards ... 8) :lol:
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

robnobcorncob wrote:Nice one Grant. Does your '60s SG Standard have the skinnier nut width?
Yes - that's a real hybrid that one with a no Made In USA and only a little bump for a volute. Also pat sticker decal pups....the 60's neck feels typical at the nut end but goes to a super fat baseball type - really deep/huge by the body join. You can almost make that out. I have a refret for that one booked mid winter so will widen the nut and fret angles to optimise string spread. It sounds frakin great - rings out LOUD.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Shot in the back while attempting to run away with as many guitars as I could carry? :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

What year is the Firebird? What are the pickups like?
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

*UNIQUE* wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:Nice one Grant. Does your '60s SG Standard have the skinnier nut width?
Yes - that's a real hybrid that one with a no Made In USA and only a little bump for a volute. Also pat sticker decal pups....the 60's neck feels typical at the nut end but goes to a super fat baseball type - really deep/huge by the body join. You can almost make that out. I have a refret for that one booked mid winter so will widen the nut and fret angles to optimise string spread. It sounds frakin great - rings out LOUD.
Interesting, that sounds like a good description of the neck on my '64 special. Is your '62 special at all similar?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

The '62 is a perfect "medium". Wide nut, neck feels like a cross between the '56 Special (quite big but no shoulders) and the '74 Deluxe (a little thinner depth wise).

I can't describe how big that '69 SG neck gets...kinda square and deep. feels pretty good after a few minutes on it. with new taller frets I am expecting it to feel even more of a handful.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Tonemaker wrote:What year is the Firebird? What are the pickups like?
A '65 and the pickups are rich, bright but complex. Like a Broadcaster on steroids.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

Yep mine gets pretty big around the 17th fret too, massive. So much fun for solos! Great fun to play.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

slash-ed wrote:Shot in the back while attempting to run away with as many guitars as I could carry? :lol:
It's hard to run after being kneecapped... :lol:

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

robnobcorncob wrote:Yep mine gets pretty big around the 17th fret too, massive. So much fun for solos! Great fun to play.
Just on necks - the '60 335 is the surprise. A typical 60-62 neck but it feels totally great (those necks can be thin). I can play a whole gig on that guitar without any cramp or strange shit. It really is a great neck.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Do you find the couch gets sticky in hot weather?
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

slash-ed wrote:
Love the burst/flame LP - what's the story on that one?

(
After I sold the Deweyburst to opsguy to fund the ES-335 I had a deep longing and a shallow pocket for another R9 from the '96-'03 date range. Hard to find. I saved my pingers from our gigs this year and got this a few months back from the States. Honky, hollow sounding, complex...hint of Oak. It rocks...the last gigs we did for the busy season I just used that and my old Gresch 6120.