SG from HECK

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: SG from HECK

Post by Hot_Grits »

*UNIQUE* wrote:...after two hot days baking in my garage...
Now that's what I'd call typical Waikato hobby behavior.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Hot_Grits wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote:...after two hot days baking in my garage...
Now that's what I'd call typical Waikato hobby behavior.
Lol. It adds up....acetone, gloves, mask, containers, late night sessions....dodgy
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Update - in spte of a couple of newly opened up repairs from the guitar vs ground incident, I have finished the heel area. I chose not to use a darker finish so the detail will always be visible up close. Given that that the idea was to give it some respect as opposed to total mint I think it went OK.
Attachments
Update Neck Joint.jpg
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

That looks like a rather good repair. And the finishing touch is the finish. I am still struggling applying an appropriate finish over a repaired area and yours is very tastefully done. :clap:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Fine work. :thumbup:

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I'll post a better shot later. It came out pretty good.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Wow, what a difference!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

mike
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mike »

Fantastic! Rescue guitars are always special.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

After a series of simply bad-luck happenings with this guitar, I had a small win today. The nickel covered neck pickup which looked all correct turns out to be a hot short magnet Pat No. 8.2 k. (A PAF, essentially) ....so that will now go into the bridge spot and the 8k (still hot) T Top will go into the neck position.

This guitar needed some reprieve....it was delivered.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

FunkUncle wrote:Update - in spte of a couple of newly opened up repairs from the guitar vs ground incident, I have finished the heel area. I chose not to use a darker finish so the detail will always be visible up close. Given that that the idea was to give it some respect as opposed to total mint I think it went OK.
In this photo, that hole is the strap button screw hole....not something I missed .

Headstock glueing has been completed. Touch ups progressing OK...I dislike reparing repairs. ANother couple of weeks to get this back to where I had left it.

Bigsby fitted. Ground wire hole yet to be drilled.

Electronics cleaned and tested (out of guitar). Pickup for neck now needs a longer lead...will solder this weekend.

ABR posts fitted. Saddles on ABR will not do (original Nylon...never liked them) so will need some replacements.

Heck pickup pocket sprayed cherry to match other body cavities.

Pickguard 70% finished.

Frets need final rounding on edges and polishing on top. Nut already roughed in - awiting string-up for final slotting and sizing.

Estimated time - 1 month.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Time for an update.

The headstock required a proper fix, so routed off the face and laminated some mahogany and maple to the right thickness (thanks Glyn for the maple!). This has been drilled for tuners and will undergo some fine grain filling prior to finishing. I will probably use shellac as a sealer ahead of that.

Underneath that veneer are 4 cleats, in a V shape, routed into the headstock. They were trimmed flat and the veneer went over the top. This repair alone would fix most/all of the movement. But I am also doing the back with cleats and a thicker veneer. This thing will be stronger than new.

For added pain and martyr effect I am using hide glue for every joint.
Attachments
Veneer2.jpg
Veneer1.jpg

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

FunkUncle wrote:Time for an update.

The headstock required a proper fix, so routed off the face and laminated some mahogany and maple to the right thickness (thanks Glyn for the maple!). This has been drilled for tuners and will undergo some fine grain filling prior to finishing. I will probably use shellac as a sealer ahead of that.

Underneath that veneer are 4 cleats, in a V shape, routed into the headstock. They were trimmed flat and the veneer went over the top. This repair alone would fix most/all of the movement. But I am also doing the back with cleats and a thicker veneer. This thing will be stronger than new.

Looking great Grant - you look well on target to bring the finished guitar to gearfest next weekend!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

I dont understand how you worked around the gibson name and logo. I presume they are original.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

FunkUncle wrote:Time for an update.

You're one of those wierd monks eh... seriously, hide glue has much to recommend it. It smells funny. Anything I missed?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.