SG from HECK

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: SG from HECK

Post by k1w1 »

Thanks Slowy, the bloke at what was formerly Colourworks was very unhelpful, he didn't know shit, I used to get nitro there 2006, but he said they never have and hadn't for 10 years. I'll give these guys a call.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

k1w1 wrote:Thanks Slowy, the bloke at what was formerly Colourworks was very unhelpful, he didn't know shit, I used to get nitro there 2006, but he said they never have and hadn't for 10 years. I'll give these guys a call.
Haven't been in there since I built up my black Telecaster, but they were very good; make up whatever colour you like and pack it in a rattlecan if you want.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

K1w1....I have some clear if you need it.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Semi frustrating night shoot lacquer...cat came in garage with mouse, knocked over cymbals, my hand pressed against the wet nitro, sank into all the built up layers. And I was getting ready to buff this weekend. Gggrrrr

Up to the minute picture this weekend...this is of course a bump.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Semi frustrating night shoot lacquer...cat came in garage with mouse, knocked over cymbals, my hand pressed against the wet nitro, sank into all the built up layers. And I was getting ready to buff this weekend. Gggrrrr

Up to the minute picture this weekend...this is of course a bump.
So the moggy is now catatonic?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

you don't leave it 4 weeks to flash off before buffing?

I'm too impatient too, but I'll usually leave it a week or so if poss.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

*UNIQUE* wrote:K1w1....I have some clear if you need it.
Thanks, I'll take you up on that. At the moment only need enough to spray an acoustic neck. I have an airbrush. Will PM later tonight. Much appreciated.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Disaster tonight.

As I started to do the initial wet sand (yes beeg, it's early I know) I notice what seemed like a crack in the neck lacquer. Apparently my guitar had an "on the floor experience" courtesy of said cat. One of the headstock repairs has come undone. Fuck.

I took a deep breath, scarped away the lacquer, injected a sloppy mix of aliphatic resin and water into all the moving bits. So now, at some stage, I have to repair the repair....so frustrating I cannot describe.

Thread off line for a while.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Legend has it that this thread was the inspiration for the band name "Throw it to the Fire".
Nothing to see here.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Cat, guitar, both?

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Cat, guitar, both?
obviously not the guitar :wink: ...

I have had similar stuff happen when clear coating outdoors....bloody plants and trees with their stupid seed pods flying through the air right onto my freshly sprayed guitar :evil:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Disaster tonight.

As I started to do the initial wet sand (yes beeg, it's early I know) I notice what seemed like a crack in the neck lacquer. Apparently my guitar had an "on the floor experience" courtesy of said cat. One of the headstock repairs has come undone. Fuck.

I took a deep breath, scarped away the lacquer, injected a sloppy mix of aliphatic resin and water into all the moving bits. So now, at some stage, I have to repair the repair....so frustrating I cannot describe.

Thread off line for a while.
It's a pain eh, my latest build has been three years delayed because of something similar. Going to respray the mx5 before I even look at the guitar again ;). Lp sprayers are awesome though eh :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Grant, it seems clear to me than your cat needs to be spanked. With a cricket bat.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Oh and I'm just curious about your flashing off time. I've not had problems yet with a week or so, any detriment with you going straight to sand and buff?

You know how the yanks swear yo have to leave it in a darkened cave for 15 years without touching it... That's all.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

In my experience I can, after two hot days baking in my garage, do the first 600 sand. Mirotone nitro....hardens pretty quickly. A week is better of course.

Yeah...I'm pretty gutted. Have had a bad run recently with shit like this. I need to stop the punishment for while. By purchasing a new Gretsch White Penguin.