Mind Blowing Auction.

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Mind Blowing Auction.

Post by GrantB »

What's a bog standard (!) OM-45 go for these days? That is, a vintage one.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

FunkUncle wrote:What's a bog standard (!) OM-45 go for these days? That is, a vintage one.
Dunno. But there's this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Martin-OM-45-Del ... 20e28ef0c7

Looking at my Mike Longworth Martin history reveals these production numbers:

1930. OM45, 19. OM45 DLX, 14
1931. OM45, 10.
1932. OM 45, 5.
1933. OM45, 6.

From the book,
Deluxe model had all the features of the OM45 plus:
Snowflake inlays on ends of bridge.
Pickguard inalid with pearl design.
Gold plated banjo type pegs, engraved and with genuine pearl knobs.

All genuine 1930s OM45s came with banjo pegs. Something that's not generally understood given the number that have been modified.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Great info Slowie! There is something special about the soloist (cutaway OM) design... obviously TJ, Dana Bourgeois and a few others are still making them but I had the pleasure of playing a Martin OMC-28 Laurence Juber signature model (two actually, one Braz, one Indian RW, A/B test side by side) and they were both spectacular, so Martin are no slouch in the Soloist department either.

What year was your Braz D28? Do you still have it?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Just found this. Funky's closer to the mark than I am, even though this is a battered celebrity item.
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/musi ... tails.aspx

@ Rob.

Mine was a 1957. It was stolen from my home in Melbourne in 1981. :x
I've never played a Laurence Juber, but I've long thought it's probably the one acoustic guitar I still need.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

slowfingers wrote:Just found this. Funky's closer to the mark than I am, even though this is a battered celebrity item.
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/musi ... tails.aspx

@ Rob.

Mine was a 1957. It was stolen from my home in Melbourne in 1981. :x
I've never played a Laurence Juber, but I've long thought it's probably the one acoustic guitar I still need.
:oops:

The Juber signature models are amazing. Easily the best new Martins I have played. Honorable mention must go to a recent 000-18 Golden Era (the 1937 reissue) those are very very special. We were lucky to be able to compare the two Juber's with a brand new OM-21 (which kept up and sounded great) and a Bourgois JOM (jumbo OM) which more than held it's own.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

There's something about those GE models. I've played 2 D18GEs and they were both beyond spectacular. I finally understood what George Gruhn means when he describes a guitar as a cannon.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

Nice Madagascar Juber for sale. I believe they made 50 with Brazillian RW back and sides, 133 with Indian RW, and 133 (or 50?) with Madagascar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-OMC-28M- ... 35d3828f5f

There is a Brazillian back and sides OMC-28 Available from The Fellowship of Acoustics in Europe, price was $125000 Euro last I checked... (!!!)

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

slowfingers wrote:There's something about those GE models. I've played 2 D18GEs and they were both beyond spectacular. I finally understood what George Gruhn means when he describes a guitar as a cannon.
D18GE, Nice! I'm disappointed they no longer make the Golden Era as they seem to be focusing on the Vintage and Marquis series instead. Still plenty on the used market though.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

As long as Townshend doesn't stick his hand up ;)
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

slowfingers wrote:
FunkUncle wrote:What's a bog standard (!) OM-45 go for these days? That is, a vintage one.
Dunno. But there's this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Martin-OM-45-Del ... 20e28ef0c7

Looking at my Mike Longworth Martin history reveals these production numbers:

1930. OM45, 19. OM45 DLX, 14
1931. OM45, 10.
1932. OM 45, 5.
1933. OM45, 6.

From the book,
Deluxe model had all the features of the OM45 plus:
Snowflake inlays on ends of bridge.
Pickguard inalid with pearl design.
Gold plated banjo type pegs, engraved and with genuine pearl knobs.

All genuine 1930s OM45s came with banjo pegs. Something that's not generally understood given the number that have been modified.
Well done my man. The original page seems to offer me more photos now....but still, I canny see wtf has been going on with the auctions per se. And that will be because I haven't paid the squillions entry price :oh:
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

You guys are all talking guitars. I just wanted to know what it was all adding up to. So thanks to Acrobat for the 'save as spreadsheet' option - and...

Estimates add up to, low to high...

$20,436,750 to $23,775,500 (!)

That's quite a pile of guitars, no matter which way you play them!
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

I just looked at the photos of the OM45. It's condition is unbelievable.. looks brand new! :wtf: I assumed it would be showing at least some of its 84 years.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

[quote="slowfingers"]Just found this. Funky's closer to the mark than I am, even though this is a battered celebrity item.
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/musi ... tails.aspx/quote]

Those tuners are HORRENDOUS!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robnobcorncob wrote:
slowfingers wrote:Just found this. Funky's closer to the mark than I am, even though this is a battered celebrity item.

"Until now, it was traditionally believed that only 14 OM-45 Deluxe's were manufactured in 1930. This guitar, and the resulting research by archivist and author John Woodland, has brought to light that the C.F. Martin and Company in fact manufactured 15 of these instruments. Bearing the serial number 42125, this guitar was the first example produced and was shipped by Frank Henry Martin on May 29, 1930 to the San Francisco firm of Sherman Clay."

Thickens, the plot does. 42125 is a certified 1930 serial number.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

slowfingers wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:

"Until now, it was traditionally believed that only 14 OM-45 Deluxe's were manufactured in 1930. This guitar, and the resulting research by archivist and author John Woodland, has brought to light that the C.F. Martin and Company in fact manufactured 15 of these instruments. Bearing the serial number 42125, this guitar was the first example produced and was shipped by Frank Henry Martin on May 29, 1930 to the San Francisco firm of Sherman Clay."

Thickens, the plot does. 42125 is a certified 1930 serial number.
*Rubs hands together with glee*