Mind Blowing Auction.

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: Mind Blowing Auction.

Post by Vince »

Amazingly (predictably?), someone, somewhere in the world, sneers and deems the whole thing "nice but not earth shattering" :?

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.y ... z26b1fECdw
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Vince wrote:Amazingly (predictably?), someone, somewhere in the world, sneers and deems the whole thing "nice but not earth shattering" :?

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.y ... z26b1fECdw
Brilliant Vince!

So they're Hank Risan's..I'd forgotten about him. That certainly may explain the almost impossible perfection of the OM45. (He was only interested in unplayed condition. This forum suggests he was quite prepared to create it if necessary) It still begs the question, what happened to the parts of the Chinery Collection that didn't end up in the Smithsonian?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

I believe the Chinery collection was always too big for one single buyer to acquire the entire thing. Even a museum.

There are plenty of 'ex-Chinery collection' instruments out there. The majority are probably unaccounted for as some owners may wish to remain anonymous.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Apparently it did not go well.

From the same Martin forum:

The Stats for Day 2 --
Of 128 Lots , 88 sold , 40 passed
An unsold ratio of 31.2%.
The total sales before Buyer's Premium was $576,300.

imho "The Artistry of the Guitar " auction was a disaster for both Mr. Risan and Guernsey's.
They both looked foolish with their "Starting Bids" , "Reserves" and "Estimates."

The TOTAL sales for both days is $1,413,150.
This total amount is less than one of the previous starting bids ( $1.85 million ) for the 1930 OM-45 Deluxe alone!
That one guitar accounted for 21.2% of the total sales!

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.y ... z4wxVfECdw
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

sidewinder
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by sidewinder »

Totally makes me think of this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfQ-Xg_MS3k[/youtube]

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

slowfingers wrote:
FunkUncle wrote:Bets on final price for the Deluxe?

I say $2.3M USD
In 2006 maybe. If there's a fight for it, I'll say between 3 and 400,000. I'd pick the reserve at $325,000.

But then again, what would I know.
Apparently it sold for $300,000. Fukkit, I shoulda bid. :x
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Wasn't the reserve thrice that number?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

FunkUncle wrote:Wasn't the reserve thrice that number?
I suspect there were mirrors...and quite a lot of smoke. There is also the suggestion that payment of a million dollar fine is the reason for the auction. If that's so, selling decisions may have been driven by expediency; especially if buyers were thin on the ground.

This is an interesting discussion,

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.y ... z8Je4_Hjx9

All in all, this whole thing has been a victory for common sense over hyperbole and hysteria. Irrationally though, I kinda liked the idea of a multi million dollar non celebrity guitar.

Right; the historic guitar market has just had its ass whupped. Where's my chequebook? :twisted:

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

In the electric vintage market there's a real divide opening up. The high end stuff has had some upwards pressure recently whilst the lower end continues to either stagnate or go backwards. In the past the high end pulled up the bottom. Now that connection has been severed. There are random deals at higher values, but not like it was. I would have guessed this might have been the same - some upwards pressure...clearly not.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

I remember Hank Risan as the Collector Column guy from Guitar Player Magazine back in the 70s & 80s. He was always obsessed with physical perfection and would ditch any guitar if he found a shinier example. What seems to come through from those who met him is a difficult, aspergic personality which probably made the whole auction a nightmare.

Modern guitar manufacture is frankly excellent. I believe this is responsible for the divide between 'Fine Vintage' and merely old, and rightly so. Sometimes old is just that. Try a couple of 1960 Hofners or Framus and tell me they're not awful.

Still reckon the OM45 was worth $300K though.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

Completely agree Slowie! Too often I see people going for old guitars purely because their old, then once they have acquired said instrument they try to hide their bitter disappointment but it's obvious how terrible some old instruments are.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Norlin in era Gibsons are a case in point.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

FunkUncle wrote:Norlin in era Gibsons are a case in point.
That is true, I have owned Norlins that have been great... and played some absolute shockers. My comment was directed in the direction of TEISCO and the likes.... stuff that was cheap back in the day and not so cheap anymore.