Mind Blowing Auction.

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Mind Blowing Auction.

Post by jeremyb »

It's crazy what people will pay for a hunk of old wood!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

FunkUncle wrote:Bets on final price for the Deluxe?

I say $2.3M USD
Surely not? :wtf:

The record for the most expensive gat ever sold at auction is still held by Brownie for just shy of US$1M isn't it?
Nothing to see here.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

@jb - Wash your mouth out....

But...yeah.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote:It's crazy what people will pay for a hunk of old wood!
It's not what someone will pay for a hunk of old wood, it's what they can tell their other rich mates what they paid for said hunk of old wood.

Same deal in the classic car scene, it's as much a rich man's pissing contest as anything else.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Yeah, no basses though.

#whatever.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

I say $2.3M USD
In 2006 maybe. If there's a fight for it, I'll say between 3 and 400,000. I'd pick the reserve at $325,000.

But then again, what would I know.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Miza wrote:
The record for the most expensive gat ever sold at auction is still held by Brownie for just shy of US$1M isn't it?
There were 14 of these made....ten survive...this is one of the most important guitars ever made. I still say north of $2M...maybe. Then again, the actual deal might be done away from the auction room....we'll never know. Bidding starts at near $900K I believe...could be wrong, past bedtime.

Dylans Strat holds the record so far....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

slowfingers wrote:

I say $2.3M USD
In 2006 maybe. If there's a fight for it, I'll say between 3 and 400,000. I'd pick the reserve at $325,000.

But then again, what would I know.
It would be interesting to know what the price was for the last one that changed hands (And when it was... and between whom...!) as there were only 14 made they so rarely come of for sale so you can bet the 'going rate' means nothing. Vintage D-45s still fetch a pretty penny ('59 burst ballpark) and they made 90-ish of those so who knows what the OM-45 Deluxe will bring.

I watch with interest :)

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

FunkUncle wrote:
Miza wrote:
There were 14 of these made....ten survive...this is one of the most important guitars ever made. I still say north of $2M...maybe. Then again, the actual deal might be done away from the auction room....we'll never know. Bidding starts at near $900K I believe...could be wrong, past bedtime.

Ah the Newport Strat! What are the chances that other guitars have changed hands privately between collectors for larger sums of money than the discerning public are aware of?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robnobcorncob wrote:
It would be interesting to know what the price was for the last one that changed hands (And when it was... and between whom...!)
Last purchase I'm aware of was made bt Eric Schoenberg about 25 years ago. He records with it and used it as a pattern to create copies.

http://www.om28.com/custom/schoenbergmodels.jsp about half way down the page.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

FunkUncle wrote: There were 14 of these made....ten survive...this is one of the most important guitars ever made. I still say north of $2M...maybe. Then again, the actual deal might be done away from the auction room....we'll never know. Bidding starts at near $900K I believe...could be wrong, past bedtime.

As I said, what would I know.........

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I was responding to Miza slowy....apart from the start bid note. I know feck all about this also...but i am watching with interest. Rob, I imagine there have been some huge deals done behind closed doors. The burst game alone has plenty of those.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

slowfingers wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:
It would be interesting to know what the price was for the last one that changed hands (And when it was... and between whom...!)
Last purchase I'm aware of was made bt Eric Schoenberg about 25 years ago. He records with it and used it as a pattern to create copies.

http://www.om28.com/custom/schoenbergmodels.jsp about halr way down the page.
Schoenberg! Epic!

Schoenberg guitars are an interesting footnote in the world of high-end acoustic instruments. Whilst Eric Schoenberg lent his name to the production model guitars I'm not sure if he actually had any hand in making them other than having a say in specifications? Those who have worked with him are some of the most highly regarded builders of Martin style instruments around today.

Dana Bourgeois was the first to team up with Schoenberg, and when he left his old apprentice T.J Thompson took over. Nowadays Bruce Sexhauer builds them.

More info here: http://www.gansz.org/David/Guitars/Schoenberg/1985.html

T.J Was Dana's first and only apprentice before heading the repair department at Elderly instruments for 15 years after which he went out on his own to start his own shop. If you have $20k-$30k USD and a lot of patience (5-10 years..) you can get a T.J Thompson guitar. Bourgeois are priced in the same realm as Santa Cruz, Martin etc.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

Spotted an OM-45 in the Vince Gill collection..... watch as he dings the 000-45 as he removes it from the rack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUKovTFQmrE

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robnobcorncob wrote: Schoenberg! Epic!

Schoenberg guitars are an interesting footnote in the world of high-end acoustic instruments. Whilst Eric Schoenberg lent his name to the production model guitars I'm not sure if he actually had any hand in making them other than having a say in specifications? Those who have worked with him are some of the most highly regarded builders of Martin style instruments around today.

Dana Bourgeois was the first to team up with Schoenberg, and when he left his old apprentice T.J Thompson took over. Nowadays Bruce Sexhauer builds them.

More info here: http://www.gansz.org/David/Guitars/Schoenberg/1985.html

T.J Was Dana's first and only apprentice before heading the repair department at Elderly instruments for 15 years after which he went out on his own to start his own shop. If you have $20k-$30k USD and a lot of patience (5-10 years..) you can get a T.J Thompson guitar. Bourgeois are priced in the same realm as Santa Cruz, Martin etc.
Great link!

It's disturbing how time gets distorted. I got into Schoenberg when I bought his album, 'Acoustic Guitar' (on cassette!). The whole album was done with his Martin OM45 DLX. Best sounding acoustic guitar I've heard to this day. I just dug out my old tape and it's dated 1977 :wtf: Guess he's had that DLX longer than 25 years.

Later, in a Guitar Player Magazine article, Schoenberg talked about his collaboration with Martin to create 14 new DLX's to echo the 14 originals. I remember they were to go on sale for $11,500 each. To put that into perspective, I had just bought a Brazilian Rosewood D28 for $850.

Robnob's link mentions only 11 DLX reproductions; 6 from Martin Customshop, 1 from Bourgeois and 4 from Thompson. I don't know what the truth is; maybe $11,500 proved too rich even for the Gordon Gekko decade.

Maybe Funkuncle is right on the money. The OM45 DLX is probably the Guitar world's equivalent of a Stradivarius.