Old SG's

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Old SG's

Post by druz15 »

What year's the penguin?
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by thegreengod »

*UNIQUE* wrote:
thegreengod wrote:Hey Guys. New here. Nice SG's by the way "Unique". I thought Id post my love of SG's and the power of P90. Heres a shot of my fab four. '64 SG Jr, '55 Les Paul Jr and a couple of weird birds on the side. Love the color though. Thanks guys Rock on!! :wink:
A very warm welcome! Nice collection there. Is that a Pigtail on the 64? I was using those until I tried the MojoAxe lightning...worth a shot if you want a fatter sound.

Love the LP Junior.

Tell me more about the Pelham Blue Les Paul/SG - it doesn't look like a Tweedy.

Again, great guitars.
Hey Unique - The bridge on the '64 is actually a Tone Pros AVT2 wrap around. I stil have the original Bridge in the case. I tried the Tone pros to try and see the difference against the '55 Les paul Jr. Its been a giving me a good sound in terms of intonation and all. Im fickle for that. Only draw back is you do tend to loose a bit of sustain, but hardly noticable until I switch to the Jr. I guess you cant have it all something does tend to be sacrificed. But Leslie (55 jr) is top of the heap at the moment. I get the Mountain and Foghat tones.

The Les Paul/SG - im not gonna lie I wish it was a vintage one. But you are correct Unique on your first huntch. It is a Tweedy with some changes. I personally wasnt a fan of the original creame hardware. This on the other hand give it a more manly look. Hope I didnt offend anyone with that. My apologies. Guitar astethics to me is a personal thing. What might look great for one is not neccessarilly for another. In saying that I recommend the Tweedy Model. The sound is fantastic. Humbucker sound is nice and crunchy and the lead tones are crisp. I dare say very Classic rock paired with a an old Marshall JCM800. It is on the trebly side though. I tend to put the tone knob on the bridge down to about 7-8. Dan from Mojo axe have provided me with the black parts when I was stateside early this year. Its starting to fade it now due to its nitro finish i believe. I have a few outdoor gigs this summer might have hurt it for the better or worse :lolno: well see.

I hope I didnt miss anything else fellas. I enjoy the brotherhood that you guys have in this forum. Thanks for welcoming me.

Adios.
And then everyone said, "Jabroni!"

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thegreengod »

druz15 wrote:What year's the penguin?
Hey Druz15. I believe its a 1994 Gretsch White Penguin. I will have to double check. Its starting to Yellow now though. Must be due to the white finish. Feel free to correct me guys, Im not much of a Gretsch expert. They do look very Classy though and always gets some looks when used. In the correct hands (not saying mine) it is a formidable weapon just ask Dan Fogelberg :lol: damn am I showing my age now or just my musical taste? Some of you here will know who he is come on admit it lol

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

thegreengod wrote:[ Dan Fogelberg :lol: damn am I showing my age now or just my musical taste? Some of you here will know who he is come on admit it lol
I'll even admit to really liking his work during one phase of my life. Haven't thought about him in years...
I guess being dead doesn't help. :think:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thegreengod »

slowfingers wrote:
thegreengod wrote:[ Dan Fogelberg :lol: damn am I showing my age now or just my musical taste? Some of you here will know who he is come on admit it lol
I'll even admit to really liking his work during one phase of my life. Haven't thought about him in years...
Yes. I cant deny real good music and good song writers. Leader of the Band was always my Dads song. Past from Father to son, Father to son. I always pick up the guitar whenever I hear that song. Where would we all be without that simple 6 stringed device aye.....

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

thegreengod wrote:
slowfingers wrote:
Yes. I cant deny real good music and good song writers. Leader of the Band was always my Dads song. Past from Father to son, Father to son. I always pick up the guitar whenever I hear that song. Where would we all be without that simple 6 stringed device aye.....
Indeed a fine lyricist. I generally have a low tolerance for 'love song' lyrics but I make an exception for such things as Leader of the Band and Auld Langs Eyne (or however it's spelled).
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thegreengod »

*UNIQUE* wrote:OMG - this is "the one"

http://www.guncottonguitars.com/guitars ... -standard/
They always look so good in cherry red dont they! I myself love the custom 3 pick up version in white. A 1964 Gibson Sg custom 3 pickup with maestro vibrato in white will do. :)

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Car-heist
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

I had a pair of LP decal SG's a few years back. A junior and a Standard with side to side vibrola.. Sold the standard to that Angus fella out of that well known noisy ozzie band.. Have still got some old negatives. If I can find somewhere to print them in this digital age I'll get some done and post..
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

very cool!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Yes please! You need to get all those stories told man...I recall the one about a black Les Paul, with P90s, in London, a party...some well known peeps involved? No pressure though :)

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thegreengod »

Damn the '65 SG special still looks amazing. ts not for sale is it? By the way what happen to the tail peice?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Sorry, not for sale. That tail piece is just off for this particular string up. I'll post a pic of how it normally looks with the Maestro.