Fender Mustang love!!

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 37 times

Fender Mustang love!!

Post by thegreengod »

Hey guys anyone here with old Fender Mustangs that they truely love and cherish? I know not many love these little student models. Everyone prefer the Strats, Teles, Jaguars and Jazzmasters but I love the little things. SO if you got one post some pics of your little beauties. Im looking into getting one but need the motivation. Thanks Guys... :D :evil: :twisted:
And then everyone said, "Jabroni!"

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Re: Fender Mustang love!!

Post by calling card »

Reminds me of my unrequited gas for a Duosonic.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thegreengod »

Ive always love the slab board bodies of mustangs and duosonic and musicmasters. They are not always one trick ponies if you use them right.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Short scale too.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Nice amps :p
:mental:

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I'm not going to lie to you, I love these guitars. That said, my preferred style of Fender now is a Strat or Tele but during my formative years it was all about the Mustang. Back when I started playing they were cheap to buy. Nirvana were just on the horizon and guitar stores still looked at them as budget unwanted student guitars from an era no-one cared about. This meant rich pickings for those of us that liked them. My first was this one;
phpRmsUldAM.jpg
1972, competition blue. This was my first 'good' guitar. I started using this in my first band and soon realised I need another as a back up. After scouring the ads in the local T&E I picked up this one;
php7cjeaeAM.jpg
Another 72. When I got it, it was almost new but it felt so good it became my main guitar and received its battle scars as a consequence.
I managed to get a competition orange one from 1971 which I on sold to a mate (he still has it) and I got one of those early 2000s reissue ones from Japan in candy apple red which was a fantastic guitar, in all honesty, better then the old ones. I did a trade with that one which I regret a little but there you go. I also managed to pick up one of these,
phpoksu67AM.jpg
Similar but one pick up. As much as everyone prefers pre CBS Fenders, I think these are one of the rare examples of Fender actually doing a better job on a model in the CBS years. They looked cooler and were more comfortable then their older brothers and sisters.
There you go. Impassioned rant over.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thegreengod »

@Kdawg2a - - They look amazing. The Blue one looks mint as.. Ive been scouring Evil bay and just looking for ones as reference and man they are still relatively cheap compared with their other fender siblings. Are the pickups stock on yours at all? Are they microphonic? Do they handle distortion/overdrive well?

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Stock pick ups. They sound Like Strat pick ups so they react in similar ways. There was a blue 72 for sale on TM recently, they guy wanted $1700 but it didn't sell. It was pretty mint too.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.