Green God Tales

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 37 times

Green God Tales

Post by thegreengod »

I just want to thank one of the forum members here for the lovely message. I wont mention the name just in case they wish to be anonymous. I was touched and was happy about their suggestion for a thread. So while I have my coffee I better do this before I get busy today with calls.

First up a 1961 Fender Stratocaster Burgundy Mist Metallic with a matching headstock. Got it back in late '93 I believe in California. I was hanging out with the guitar tech of the Beastie Boys as he was an old friend from school and was in the same studio I was working in ( more like make coffee and donuts and do occasional music stuff - let's be honest here :lol: ) So my friend was going out to get some parts and strings for the BB's and I tagged along to catch up. We were looking at a news paper and wondered into the music section. And found some guitars for sale. He thought wed go and look at some Gibson's advertised as they were selling cheap. This was at a time when Gibson was down and Fenders were up especially offset Fender's as a bunch of long haired sweater wearing individuals out in Seattle was blowing up. You guys know who Im talking about. So everyone and their mothers was Buying Fender Jaguars, Mustangs Jazzmaster like it was a fire sale.

Anyways back to biz, so we called up the seller and went up to Van Nuys in San Fernando Valley in to this what look like a hippy commune but flashy in a way hill side home. I really got like an old rockstar vibe. Its a kind of house you would have for your mistress in a lovenest haha. Sure enough as we walked in we were welcomed buy a late 30s- early 40s blonde who looked like a model. She showed us to the music room were maybe 10 guitars was there on the wall and floor along with 4 amps and some musical gear. She didnt indicate who it belongs to but her bfs stuff who seperated with her. She sounded mad and detached and vindictive haha. She was selling the stuff as she was moving to Paris and he said sell the stuff and send him the money and she can take half of it. She had a list of the stuff for sale and the prices and she was negotiable too.All from the 50's and 60's and 70's gear. There was even a 50's white falcon but was too much at the time for $15k so we passed. So me and my buddy looked at the gibson and teles and Jazzbasses. So he bought 2 les paul juniors and a melody maker and a late 60's jazzbass with block inlays that the band might like.

While I looked around I notice a case that was not opened and found the 1961 Strat. I was surprised it was a weird color I wondered if it was a shell pink. Ive always wanted one after seeing Billy Gibbons play one the year before in Texas at a small club. He showed up un announced and we got a sure thrill. He brought along the pink strat that Jimi Hendrix gave him when he was a teenager. So I was in the hunt and didnt know they were so rare. So I asked the lady if the strat is for sale and for how much? I figured it looked cool with the matching headstock why not right? She looked at the paper and didnt find it there. Scratched her head and said well make me and offer. I was shocked and quickly said I have $450 in cash with me. She said ohh no thats a little too low. I said well thats all I have and I wasnt buying any of the stuff she had only my buddy. She looked at the guitar and it didnt look as mint as the others because of the cracks and and ageing. Luckily she said ok ill take your money but I will also take your smokes. She was eyeing my freshly bought whole packet of Marlboro Reds haha. My buddy looked at me and said DO IT. I said deal take it haha.

Soon as it was done we got the hell out of there we didnt even ask who her partner was as we were still shocked at what happen. We were driving down the drive way out and down the road and we stopped and asked a jogger if they knew any famous people that lived in the area. She said i dont know any actors but a couple of musicians live here. She said some guy named Mr Stills. :wink:

So theres a lesson here folks. You make up your mind. Ok thats it for now.

Adios Amigos.
Last edited by thegreengod on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And then everyone said, "Jabroni!"

Mini Forklift

Re: Green God Tales

Post by Mini Forklift »

Loved reading this with my morning coffee, thank you for taking the time out to share it with all of us. I just want to say as an aspiring collector who unfortunately has more GAS than $$, your threads are taking me back to my childhood. Just hanging around my Dad with all his gear and meeting the musicians & bands he got to work with, I miss that.

Look forward to reading more from you and seeing more from your collection, simply amazing!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Nice story. So Stephen was off loving the one he was with I suppose.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Great story!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

That's awesome...would love to see more photos of the Strat! These awesome tidbits have opened the flood gates of expectation!!!

Also, I would really like to hear about the 60 Les Paul. I have played a number of bursts in recent years, and in October will be back in Texas to meet the same crew and play a few more. They're all so different yet share a core DNA tonally. I like the transition necks too...and even the skinnier ones They all feel good to me. I have a '60 335 with a med-thin neck and it's inspiring to play.

Keep sharing!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Now that was one heck of a opening story! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Wish I could add some whitespace and carriage returns to that post, I can't read it!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:Wish I could add some whitespace and carriage returns to that post, I can't read it!
was about to post the exact same thing. I got 2 lines in and my eyes exploded :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I need better work stories... :-(

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

That was an awesome opening! I'm subscribing to this thread, that is for sure. :wink:

So you were hanging around the Beastie Boys when they were recording Ill Communication? I was a gigantic B Boys fan in my younger days... I still rate Paul's Boutique as one of the best albums of all time.

I'm with Grant - would love to hear more about the 1960. Did that one cost more than $450 and a packet of smokes?! Also keen to get the back story on the Goldtop.

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thegreengod »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:That was an awesome opening! I'm subscribing to this thread, that is for sure. :wink:

So you were hanging around the Beastie Boys when they were recording Ill Communication? I was a gigantic B Boys fan in my younger days... I still rate Paul's Boutique as one of the best albums of all time.

I'm with Grant - would love to hear more about the 1960. Did that one cost more than $450 and a packet of smokes?! Also keen to get the back story on the Goldtop.

First of let me apologize for my poor journalistic skills fellas. I will try to work on them with great grammar and spacing to make the reading easy and with enough pauses to be able to fully digest the narration.

Yea $450 and a pack of smokes haha lucky I say and blessed.

The beasties were awesome great bunch of guys and generous. Had a few tacos and burritos with them. Highly intellectual dudes. Got to hear sabotage when it was first played at rehearsals! Hows that for better work stories haha

The 60 burst! I have to say even with the unoriginal parts i still have about 60k left to pay on it haha thats the truth but the seller is practically family. Im hoping he gifts it to me for xmas. He hasnt asked for it as he has one of his own thats pristine mint condish that was found in abarn in Indiana haha. My 60s was almost lost in nz custom as someone tried to steal it ans make it look like it was lost in transit. lucky I was persistent and found it hidden in the luggage racks in the back. Someone in the know was checking it out I can only assume.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Definitely post more stories and definitely use paragraphs :D

sunburster
Squier
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by sunburster »

Man, what a story. That strat is probably worth about $100K now.
Last edited by sunburster on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thegreengod »

sunburster wrote:Man, what as story. That strat is probably worth about $100K now.

Thank you! But as you know its only worth 100k if someone is willing to pay that much. Otherwise its just wood and wires. My folks always taught me not too get too attach to a number on something. Just enjoy every moment. :D

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

I want to be just like you when I grow up.