Jansen Owner Club

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Re: Jansen Owner Club

Post by Danger Mouse »

The problem with this thread, even though it is spelt differently, it keeps making me day dream about joining a slightly different owners club:

The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Danger Mouse wrote:The problem with this thread, even though it is spelt differently, it keeps making me day dream about joining a slightly different owners club:

This one: https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/t ... rged-2014/
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Ahead of you on that one, the one in my pic is also an Interceptor R. Not supercharged in this case, but I prefer the colour. Plus it's relatively paltry 480hp is probably still enough for a bit of fun.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

jvpp wrote:
Slowy wrote:
jvpp wrote:
Yes browsed that site a while ago for a 6/20 diagram. Could not find it there and it does not mention the 4/12.
4-12s are rare. I've only ever seen 2. Consider they were made in 1964, just as full stacks were taking over the world. Poor little fellas never stood a chance.
Spoke to Clarry and he confirms they are rare and hasn't got any diagram. The good thing is he has repaired a couple and says the circuit is very simple.
Will call Simon tomorrow and if no luck I am offering to do the exploratory surgery... Perhaps a dedicated thread is warranted rather than annoying EB?
Let us know how you go. I could chat to John G in Hamilton...see if he could help out. He’s reversed engineered some of my booteek stuff before.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Slowy wrote:
bender wrote:
jvpp wrote:Now that i have heard that 4/12 I wouldnt mind getting or making one. Any cicuit diagrams yous guys have?
Yeah, that’s an amp worth cloning! Ask Clarry?
If there is someone who can do it, I'd make my amp available for non invasive mapping. I think it would be a cool project to be involved with. :thumbup:
I'd happily trace this out. I've documented a lot of Gunns and Holdens over the years

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Optical wrote:
Slowy wrote:
bender wrote:
Yeah, that’s an amp worth cloning! Ask Clarry?
If there is someone who can do it, I'd make my amp available for non invasive mapping. I think it would be a cool project to be involved with. :thumbup:
I'd happily trace this out. I've documented a lot of Gunns and Holdens over the years
Is there anything special in a Jansen preamp versus, say a Fender? (Thinking about MTS blackface module options)

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Dunno, Ive got two Jansens (or bits of...) but both were trashed when I got them.
There is a very strong chance of them being a fender circuit or something incredibly close to. Usually a bassman or JTM type thing but the transformers are often quite different as they were usually locally made radio/HiFi spec which can change the tone and dynamics a bit. Also 50+ year old capacitors are typically fucked which also change the tone (compared to if it were new), meaning you have to measure the components rather then read the labels to know exactly what's going on.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I've got a Jansen Lil' Dazzler 30 watt solid state thing lurking in my amp archives, circa 1970's. One of my older specimens, may take a photo.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

Had a few Jansens over the last 40 years. Still got this renovated 1964 Bassman 50 which I salvaged from a dumpster 3 years ago and fixed up. I managed to re-use most of the mustard caps. (Note the 12V heater wiring)
Attachments
Cab front.jpg
Bassman 50 gutshot.jpg
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Yeah they're the good ones :) With the beer intakes :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

So Simon doesn't have the circuit diagram and is reluctant to dig into his paper mountain of old amp docs. Will PM you Slowy re next step.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jvpp wrote:So Simon doesn't have the circuit diagram and is reluctant to dig into his paper mountain of old amp docs. Will PM you Slowy re next step.
no surprise there ....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

At least you didn't ask him for a one page schematic and he sold you an encyclopedia on tube amp building!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:At least you didn't ask him for a one page schematic and he sold you an encyclopedia on tube amp building!
nah he would have tried to sell him a PA system ;) an encyclopedia is a bit too on point...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

jvpp wrote:So Simon doesn't have the circuit diagram and is reluctant to dig into his paper mountain of old amp docs. Will PM you Slowy re next step.
For the next step, it seems my amp is going visiting. It would be more fun for you if the speaker cab tagged along?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.