Two hours you won't regret

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Two hours you won't regret

Post by Mini Forklift »

Just absolutely fascinating :clap:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Two hours you won't regret

Post by Molly »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Just absolutely fascinating :clap:

I contemplated calling in there this week but it's by appointment only and I thought, oh what's the fucking point? I wouldn't be buying anything and I'd have some guy standing over me weighing-up if this old fucker actually has any money.

Do you ever wonder if the cork-sniffing has reached a level where it's no longer anything to do with the guitar but instead is all about the implied status and mystical qualities that are projected onto the guitar to perpetuate the bullshit and justify the price? In this video Beardy just about manages to jizz in his pants over a mint Goldtop. It's embarrassing to watch. Fuck it all and the merchant bankers lining-up to blow $60k on a Strat because Eric Johnson once owned it.

And Peach Guitars... Nitro doesn't let the wood breathe for a more natural tone or some such fucking crap in your every Custon Shop listing.

This rant was sponsored by Corona beer and I'm changing my handle to '8 Ace'.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

I think it makes sense to separate out into musical instruments, investments or status symbols. Obviously all guitars fall into each category to a certain extent, but people aren't paying half a million for a '58 Burst for its properties as a musical instrument. Same with guitars once played by famous musicians: they are status symbols, but not necessarily 'good' guitars or even good investments. Some cheap-and-cheerful guitars might have value as great instruments, but not much as investments or status symbols.

Lots of guitarists resent the merchant bankers who buy artist or vintage guitars for reasons other than their properties as musical instruments. I'm sure a lot of people who buy them project those mystical qualities, without good reason. There are plenty of shitty, expensive guitars out there.

But if you're looking for an investment or status symbol, I have more respect for people who buy a 60s Strat than a fucking BMW 6 Series convertible (or equivalent). It's just shitty that this pushes vintage instruments out of the realms of affordability for us mere mortals.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Yeah, its partly the elitism (which is a fact of life I should just get over) and partly the entire language that has built up around vintage instruments that just doesn't bear the slightest scrutiny. It's like listening to Jilly Goolden wine tasting.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Or the headphone crowd talking about cables and amplifiers.

There are people who spend $2000 on a USB cable. But it really brings out the highs and tightens up the bass! Probably because there are more bits being transferred. Cos you know, that's how digital transmission works.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Just absolutely fascinating :clap:

Are there any Bass Guitars in that video?
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Molly wrote:
I contemplated calling in there this week but it's by appointment only and I thought, oh what's the fucking point? I wouldn't be buying anything and I'd have some guy standing over me weighing-up if this old fucker actually has any money.

Do you ever wonder if the cork-sniffing has reached a level where it's no longer anything to do with the guitar but instead is all about the implied status and mystical qualities that are projected onto the guitar to perpetuate the bullshit and justify the price? In this video Beardy just about manages to jizz in his pants over a mint Goldtop. It's embarrassing to watch. Fuck it all and the merchant bankers lining-up to blow $60k on a Strat because Eric Johnson once owned it.

And Peach Guitars... Nitro doesn't let the wood breathe for a more natural tone or some such fucking crap in your every Custon Shop listing.

gotta say i agree with you, molly. Not to say I wouldn't be extremely stoked to try some sweet vintage guitars, but all these youtube channels about gear seem to me to be very consumerist, more about the amazing gear than about a drive to play better and use what you have. Paul Davids would be one guy who I like more, he's pretty playing focused rather than gear focused, although he's got some wicked toys too.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

rickenbackerkid wrote:
Molly wrote:

gotta say i agree with you, molly. Not to say I wouldn't be extremely stoked to try some sweet vintage guitars, but all these youtube channels about gear seem to me to be very consumerist, more about the amazing gear than about a drive to play better and use what you have. Paul Davids would be one guy who I like more, he's pretty playing focused rather than gear focused, although he's got some wicked toys too.
I'll check that out, ta. Just so long as he's playing a Custom Shop guitar or I wont be able to take him seriously. :-)

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

He has what looks and sounds like a peach of a Custom Shop Strat. He has the chops to earn respect, regardless of what instrument he's holding.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote:Or the headphone crowd talking about cables and amplifiers.

There are people who spend $2000 on a USB cable. But it really brings out the highs and tightens up the bass! Probably because there are more bits being transferred. Cos you know, that's how digital transmission works.
No it's all a placebo, if you have a dud cable on a digital signal you will get noticeable artifacts, but anything from the most basic
$2 cable to a $2k one will sound identical, that's the beauty of digital, now a better DA converter will have an impact, but no way a cable will!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: No it's all a placebo, if you have a dud cable on a digital signal you will get noticeable artifacts, but anything from the most basic
$2 cable to a $2k one will sound identical, that's the beauty of digital, now a better DA converter will have an impact, but no way a cable will!!
To be honest, I don't believe that most DACs or amps are audibly different once you get past the US$200 mark. My Woo WA7 sure looks pretty though .

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

jeremyb wrote:
robthemac wrote:Or the headphone crowd talking about cables and amplifiers.

No it's all a placebo, if you have a dud cable on a digital signal you will get noticeable artifacts, but anything from the most basic
Wait, are you saying I shouldn't have bought this $1300 HDMI cable?

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamo ... B003CT08E4

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

foal30 wrote:Are there any Bass Guitars in that video?
They very briefly run through the 5 or 6 that are on the wall and that's about it, a minute all up if you're lucky

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Molly wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:I contemplated calling in there this week but it's by appointment only and I thought, oh what's the fucking point? I wouldn't be buying anything and I'd have some guy standing over me weighing-up if this old fucker actually has any money.

Yeah I hear you, I kinda side with many of your points. But with regards to justifying the price via various portlets of bullshit... yes and no. It's kinda cool that everything in that room are iconic pieces of musical history - the Tele that was featured in the early Fender promotional brochures was something that put a big smile on my face as I watched and I thought the 335's, 355's et al towards the start were cool as. As for Mick and Dan being embarrassing, I can completely get that but I think it's ultimately just a projection of their interest and passion with vintage. That and the fact that they said they've never been in that situation before, surrounded by gear that look like mint condition RI's but are actually the real thing.

Does crack me up how Beardy takes almost minutes to string together a sentence to say what he's thinking, it's like someone has stolen all of the words out of his head. But then he's like that most of the time in their videos. As for Mick practically jizzing in his jeans over the tonez and vintageness, meh. Stoked for him that he felt like that, but he sounded the same as he always does. Didn't sound any better than his blue Strat to me :roll:

Anyhow, I thought it was a really cool video and interesting to boot. Bit bummed how the amps never got covered, could have been a cool Part II to back up all of the guitar talk. Wonder what the significance was with the Mesa Boogie off to the left of the couch, next to the beige Marshall. Stuck out like a sore testicle next to all of the other pristine vintage amps.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I'm more punk than I know.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus