Molestation: An Ethical Perspective.

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Molestation: An Ethical Perspective.

Post by Slowy »

The Yamaha SA-15 I bought recently (I'll post a different pic when I take one).

This is a guitar from 1968. It's great and I'd like to do some work on it. I believe it could be way better.
Forget it's price for a moment and think of its age. There was a time when Strats and Jazzmasters were so cheap that people bought half a dozen, harvested the parts they liked the most and did god knows what with the rest.

'Yes,' you say, 'but it's just a cheap Yammie.'

Granted, but it's a very good guitar; and as we all know, a good guitar is only one superstar away from shifting from obscurity to unobtainability.
And if that happened, I'd hate to be That Guy who routed a '62 Strat for Humbucker and Floyd.... if you see what I mean.

So: Assuming they fit, I'd like to replace the pots with something like CTS. Most of the unacceptable issues revolve around wiring, switches and pots.

After this is the tiny fret issue. Do I refret it? Opinions.......
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Re: Molestation: An Ethical Perspective.

Post by Bg »

Do it, play it, enjoy it....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I don't have any problem modding old guitars for playability. I'd say changing pots and frets only makes the guitar better and if it was an old Fender or Gibson I'd still say the same thing. There's no real point in keeping it original if that means it won't get played. Personally, I go as far as changing pickups and hardware if necessary. Some of my guitars have parts that are near impossible to find so I'll use something else to make it functional. Ever tried finding a single vintage Supro pickup? Fuck it, bung a P90 in there!
IMG_20240202_122634.jpg
IMG_20240202_122634.jpg (951.14 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

The answer is yes

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Always yes. I’ll refret anything if it will play better. Vintage guitars need to be played. I know those little Yamaha frets. They really are tiny, in every dimension.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Pots and wiring are easily swapped back. Refretting if it's a bit fecked is surely an upgrade. If it's a guitar I really like, I go to town with the mods.

Do it.

I think of guitar molestation being more like when I sold a vintage Ibanez hollowbody to a guy who didn't like the volute, so he cut it off with a hacksaw.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Do it.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

Pots and wiring seems like a no brainer, as do frets.
However routing a swimming pool size hole for a new set of pickups or drilling holes all around the edge for weight relief? Sit back down, pass the guitar over to a trusted safe friend.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

I say do whatever the f*#k you want. Who are you saving it for? If they have half a brain, first thing they’ll do is go out and do the work anyway.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Replacing pots and frets seem like maintenance issues more than modding.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Pots and wiring is reversible if you do it carefully, a re-fret is just maintenance, I would do it. I wouldn't route it out for a Flyod though.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

None of that sounds like molestation to me.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Its funny, I felt bad about routing out a bridge humbucker route in my strat, but at the end of the day I figured I'd rather have something that was going to be more useful and more likely to get picked up to play, and I have not looked back at all.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:39 am Its funny, I felt bad about routing out a bridge humbucker route in my strat, but at the end of the day I figured I'd rather have something that was going to be more useful and more likely to get picked up to play, and I have not looked back at all.
I've been looking for a vintage strat with a HB in the bridge, and big neck, forever. I've come to the conclusion that it'll never happen....

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

murky wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:43 am
jeremyb wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:39 am Its funny, I felt bad about routing out a bridge humbucker route in my strat, but at the end of the day I figured I'd rather have something that was going to be more useful and more likely to get picked up to play, and I have not looked back at all.
I've been looking for a vintage strat with a HB in the bridge, and big neck, forever. I've come to the conclusion that it'll never happen....
I couldn't get what I wanted here, 60s style strat with nitro body and reliced, so I bought a mexi roadworn body and neck from Stratosphere and set about modding it to my needs, Mr Glyns integrity bucker in the bridge, bellbird singles in the middle and neck, obsidian wire HSS harness, it just feels so perfect to me... they used to have a website but now its all done thru ebay, worth keeping an eye out for some bits that might suit you, I did mine in two separate orders to avoid GST at the border :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.