Molestation: An Ethical Perspective.

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: Molestation: An Ethical Perspective.

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I figure the don't mess with stuff thing comes from the vintage guitar gear trading scene. The more original and better the condition, the higher the price basically. For some reason how well a guitar plays, or how well an amp functions and sounds is not part of the equation it seems.

It's led to players thinking they should not change anything on their gear, just in case it devalues it, or that it will be worth more when it's vintage. They will tolerate leaky caps on an amp, or pitted frets and bad pots on a guitar for the sake of keeping it original. Are they primarily players, or are they traders and collectors?

I have even seen a player not wanting to have a cap job done on a reissue amp that obviously needs it. For the sake of keeping it original (a younger player who had been told that BS by somebody he looks up to).

It's just another example of how effing stupid we guitar players can be at times. :P

P.S. If I was looking for a vintage amp, it's originality would not factor in as my primary concern. That is works well and has the quintessential sound that amp is known for would. A 1970s JMP Lead 50 watter doing the Angus thing well would be worth far more to me than it being all original.

I prefer clones though, because you can mess with them without the vintage originality protection posse coming for you.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

Sounds like someone has already fiddled with the wiring. I do have an SA-15 wiring diagram somewhere. Happy to check your wiring out
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:05 pm Sounds like someone has already fiddled with the wiring. I do have an SA-15 wiring diagram somewhere. Happy to check your wiring out
Nothing is happening to it until you have seen it. I'll be busy with The Boy's building project for a few weeks yet but as soon as I have a spare day...

Played it for an hour this evening through 2 different amps. It's not perfect, but it makes me smile.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

Can relate. I have a 70's Japanese 'Marina' strat copy I got off a friend for $200. In excellent condition. Its the bestest guitar Ive owned, its damn near perfect for me. Very resonant with the best neck ever. I decided to throw 500 bux at it for a refret. I went with small vintage frets but bends are a real struggle on it. Im gonna send it back and get it refretted again with bigger ones. I upgraded pickups and knobs too. So, over $1000 on a guitar thats worth sweet fuck all.. dont care, still worth it to me because I love playing it.