Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 1 time

Some delay stuff I've been building

Post by fuzziebro »

First up...a wee while back, I built a delay pedal to Kev77's specs in a trade for some painted enclosures, I think he did a thread on it a while back, but here are some gutshots...

Love veroboard, its old school and if you got some handy you can start building right away, but on this build with 12 transistors a voltage reg and 16 - pin chip? Not in a hurry to do another one!!!

This is an original circuit btw 10 transistor buffers to guarantee complete isolation in all the controls, plus add a certain analog vibe to the sound, plus two transistor gain stages, one silicon (up front) and one germanium in the feedback loop to add even more old school vibe to the princeton delay chip...

Next up, found this schematic and thought it looked good...and it is, real nice and warm if somewhat predictable...
it also runs off a dual polarity supply somewhat unnecessarily complicating matters...
point-to point wiring on this build too

FInally got inspired to try a madbean circuit the infamous cave dweller... amazing how good it sounds considering
there is no further op-amps or transistors in the signal stage, it makes use of the onboard op-amps of the princeton chip,
yet at the expense of some bleed between the feedback/echo control and the dwell... I wasnt that excited by the circuit as is...sounds pretty much like you expect a delay pedal to sound like so spent a few evenings tweaking and without doing too much to the circuit, boosted the gain in the feedback loop and added a LP filter and a LF 3- stage toggle so you can really get this thing humming and control the osc simply by tweaking the eq in the feedback - renaming it the dub dweller, turns this thing into a dubby bliss stoner rock monster...

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3556 times
Been liked: 728 times

Re: Some delay stuff I've been building

Post by Cdog »

mean builds! epic crazy looking delay you cooked up... 4 jacks, 5 knobs a toggle and two stomp switches?? needs moar info! :shock:
+enclosure is dreamy 8)

havent tried the cave dweller yet, to my shame. I have built a serious PT399 keeper tho, clone of the DBD... really love it

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

fuzziebro wrote:This is an original circuit btw 10 transistor buffers to guarantee complete isolation in all the controls, plus add a certain analog vibe to the sound, plus two transistor gain stages, one silicon (up front) and one germanium in the feedback loop to add even more old school vibe to the princeton delay chip...
That actually looks quite interesting... any reason for the greenie caps? :)
fuzziebro wrote:FInally got inspired to try a madbean circuit the infamous cave dweller... amazing how good it sounds considering
there is no further op-amps or transistors in the signal stage, it makes use of the onboard op-amps of the princeton chip,
yet at the expense of some bleed between the feedback/echo control and the dwell... I wasnt that excited by the circuit as is...sounds pretty much like you expect a delay pedal to sound like so spent a few evenings tweaking and without doing too much to the circuit, boosted the gain in the feedback loop and added a LP filter and a LF 3- stage toggle so you can really get this thing humming and control the osc simply by tweaking the eq in the feedback - renaming it the dub dweller, turns this thing into a dubby bliss stoner rock monster...
In the Cave Dweller PDF, it lists another edition -- the Cave Dweller II ("Dub Edition"). I've built two of these -- 1590B and 1590A. Two PT2399's in the 2nd Edition.

I love the ambient grubbyness of the Cave Dweller. And the Dub Edition, with the Mix Mod, can do the runaway oscillation dub thing nicely.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 682 times
Been liked: 577 times

Some delay stuff I've been building

Post by TmcB »

So awesome. Seriously, I am so useless with vero. I think the only thing I've made that didn't fail was an LPB-1!
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai

Post by fuzziebro »

Cdog wrote:mean builds! epic crazy looking delay you cooked up... 4 jacks, 5 knobs a toggle and two stomp switches?? needs moar info! :shock:
+enclosure is dreamy 8)

havent tried the cave dweller yet, to my shame. I have built a serious PT399 keeper tho, clone of the DBD... really love it
Cheers bruv, Kev wanted a switchable loop, turns on/off via the toggle, the 5 knobs, well 3 are the usual suspects the other two are for two different LPF filters in the feedback loop, the second footswitch shorts out the delay line so you can keep playing while the delay fades out naturally...

whats the DBD? sound interesting and btw I havent forgotton about those JRC's if you're still interested, just havent got round to desoldering them yet...
Last edited by fuzziebro on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, nicely filtered PT2399 one.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai

Post by fuzziebro »

alanp wrote:
fuzziebro wrote:This is an original circuit btw 10 transistor buffers to guarantee complete isolation in all the controls, plus add a certain analog vibe to the sound, plus two transistor gain stages, one silicon (up front) and one germanium in the feedback loop to add even more old school vibe to the princeton delay chip...
That actually looks quite interesting... any reason for the greenie caps? :)
hehe yeah, the greenies are in the delay line for warmth at the expense of clarity - but this softens up the chip I reckon, the reddish ones are polyprops for clarity and these are in the straight buffered guitar signal to help give more contrast between the two signals (thats the idea anyway)
alanp wrote:
In the Cave Dweller PDF, it lists another edition -- the Cave Dweller II ("Dub Edition"). I've built two of these -- 1590B and 1590A. Two PT2399's in the 2nd Edition.

I love the ambient grubbyness of the Cave Dweller. And the Dub Edition, with the Mix Mod, can do the runaway oscillation dub thing nicely.
Yeah nice, actually it was one of your posts in your build thread that got me interested in the cave dweller, didnt actually see the dub edition tho!!! have to check that out...

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai

Post by fuzziebro »

TmcB wrote:So awesome. Seriously, I am so useless with vero. I think the only thing I've made that didn't fail was an LPB-1!
cheers...in the bad old days took me "quite a few" goes to get a fuzz face working on vero sheesh!

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai

Post by fuzziebro »

alanp wrote:Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, nicely filtered PT2399 one.
ahh will check it

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1396 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Great stuff!
Clips?

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 366 times
Been liked: 285 times

Post by Kev77 »

This
Is
Epic.
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai

Post by fuzziebro »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Great stuff!
Clips?
Cheers! yeah If I get inspired I'll get something up... tink Kev was going to do something at some point as well hint :mental:

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3556 times
Been liked: 728 times

Post by Cdog »

Cheers bruv, Kev wanted a switchable loop, turns on/off via the toggle, the 5 knobs, well 3 are the usual suspects the other two are for two different LPF filters in the feedback loop, the second footswitch shorts out the delay line so you can keep playing while the delay fades out naturally...
Very cool! Kev will be the man to put it thru its paces for sure 8)
fuzziebro wrote: btw I havent forgotton about those JRC's if you're still interested, just havent got round to desoldering them yet...
Yup defo interested, but no rush :)

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Post by GrantB »

I am always amazed at this talent...cool stuff fuzzie
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves