Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

johnny mullet
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Pedal Building Resources

Post by johnny mullet »

good luck with your builds handlefras. Let us know how they go.

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

All pedal parts ordered on the same day have now arrived. Time taken:
Ebay (3dpt switches from hong kong): 8 days
Effectsconnection: 12 days
Smallbear: 13 days
Futurlec: 17days

Very impressed with the Effectsconnection order which was fast and well packed, complete with tracked shipping and email updates. Futurlec let the team down a bit and required some prompting to ship the order (by which time I had run out of money and my card declined, further delaying the order.) :roll: Otherwise all orders were complete and accurate so generally I'm very happy.

First build completed: Big Muff triangle version- sounding sweet but somewhat predictable Smashing Pumpkins/Jack White tone. Haven't been able to get a Dave Gilmour lead tone yet...
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7747 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

This is handy for getting known component values for certain pedals (*cough* *cough* Keeley Compressor that i'm building) http://www.effector-repair.com/
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

jeremyb wrote:This is handy for getting known component values for certain pedals (*cough* *cough* Keeley Compressor that i'm building) http://www.effector-repair.com/
:thumbsup: nice resource :D
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Wow, RS Components NZ are awesome: http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/

I wanted some AC128 germanium transistors for a couple of fuzz factory pedals I'm building, they had them for $6.20+gst each which I thought was cheap considering how rare they are... and they got sent to me with free shipping, mad, but not as mad as my second order, when sicom didn't have the 2N3904's I wanted in stock and were talking about 3 week delivery if I wanted them... so I went online to RS, got 10 shipped to me all up for $1.73 inc gst, the shipping alone would have cost them more than that, its next day delivery too, just registered online and paid by credit card, loving it!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

jeremyb wrote:Wow, RS Components NZ are awesome: http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/

I wanted some AC128 germanium transistors for a couple of fuzz factory pedals I'm building, they had them for $6.20+gst each which I thought was cheap considering how rare they are... and they got sent to me with free shipping, mad, but not as mad as my second order, when sicom didn't have the 2N3904's I wanted in stock and were talking about 3 week delivery if I wanted them... so I went online to RS, got 10 shipped to me all up for $1.73 inc gst, the shipping alone would have cost them more than that, its next day delivery too, just registered online and paid by credit card, loving it!!
what's with the free shipping? when did they start doing that? I'd always found their shipping prices prohibitively pricey :(
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

rocklander wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Wow, RS Components NZ are awesome: http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/

what's with the free shipping? when did they start doing that? I'd always found their shipping prices prohibitively pricey :(
I have no idea, I expected it to cost heaps but all I did was register on the website, cash account, doneburger!

It came from Auckland and the courier package says free delivery for all orders over $125, so no idea what happened, but I'm not gonna complain!! I'd suggest get in quick if you're after anything ;)

Lemmings
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Lemmings »

Some reviews:

Tayda Electronics: Tayda was awesome. Super cheap and fast shipping. Stock is a bit limited (not pedal focused) but the guy running it seems very open to new suggestions. Got a whole lot of ICs, diodes, LEDs and Bezels etc. Probably the best price i've seen on individual 3pdt switches. The ones I received all worked fine and seemed reliable enough.

Mouser NZ: Website can be a pain to navigate, but they have some really good stuff on here if you can be bothered finding it. Shipping was prompt and well packaged. Pretty expensive, but I was ordering some very high-quality components, so not completely unexpected.

Mammoth Electronics: Mixed feelings about Mammoth. I purchased an enclosure, pots, knobs and jacks from them. Their website is great to use and they stock all the basics. Their small flat rate package could probably fit 2 1950BB size cases or 3 1590Bs, so their powdercoated enclosures work out to be much cheaper shipped than Pedal Parts Plus, at least if buying in small quantities.

The colour of the enclosure was awesome, but the finishing wasn't quite as professional as PPP. The paint was kind of streaky under inspection and the back plate didn't align very nicely along the edges. Pots and jacks were fine. The knobs (Davies clones) were a bit rough (not completely ciruclar, slight chips etc). I also took a chance on their 3pdt PCB boards, but the holes were too small to fit the lugs of the Tayda switch. Would probably work better if you get the switch from Mammoth too.

Customer service was also pretty lacking - they only replied to one of my emails and it took them several days. I will definitely order from them again for the enclosures but maybe look elsewhere if you want a more professional finish.

Dealextreme: Purchased this Hakko soldering iron clone -> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/kada-936d- ... 4v-ac-1874

Credit card statement says it cost $57nz landed which was pretty good. Shipping was about 2 weeks. According to the comments it will accept Hakko replacement tips. Worked much better than the mains powered POS Dick Smith thing I used to use. The tip provided was a little bit small for what I was doing (point to point) but would probably be fine for PCB / vero work.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3501 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

Chur bo... your solder station looks cool! I wanna get a small chisel tip next time round, better surface contact that my tiny pencil tip... I have heard other similar reviews about mammoth, tayda has now earned a visit after your review... :)

Lemmings
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Lemmings »

Sweet. Check out their Facebook page if you're into that kind of thing. Lots of requests for new components, many of which are being fulfilled. They also claim that they will have coupon codes on there from time to time but I haven't seen any yet.

Nanofoam
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Nanofoam »

Hey there, have some money and a dream... but I have no time or skill to fulfill it.
Got an idea for a stombox pedal and would like to know if anyone could help build it.

Mechanical meets electrical.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

Nanofoam wrote:Hey there, have some money and a dream... but I have no time or skill to fulfill it.
Got an idea for a stombox pedal and would like to know if anyone could help build it.

Mechanical meets electrical.
I can follow instruction (as in layout and place component[a] here etc.) so am no help sorry. if nobody raises their hand, try over at fsb?
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

arghh need 2x 100k log/audio pots for my Big Muff build and Jaycar only had 24mm shaft ones, anyone have any lying around I could buy? Really can't be fucked waiting for another order from effectsconnection
although I will need to do another order there in a month or so when I figure out which build I'll go for next.
Suppose Dick Smith might have them but I doubt it and don't wanna drive back into town again today to be quite honest.
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

druz15 wrote:arghh need 2x 100k log/audio pots for my Big Muff build and Jaycar only had 24mm shaft ones, anyone have any lying around I could buy? Really can't be fucked waiting for another order from effectsconnection
although I will need to do another order there in a month or so when I figure out which build I'll go for next.
Suppose Dick Smith might have them but I doubt it and don't wanna drive back into town again today to be quite honest.
Have you tried RS Components?
http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/?cm ... nts_Phrase
OMM OM MM OMM MM

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

sorted thanks
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks