Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Torturor
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Guidance Requested:

Post by Torturor »

Hey fellas,
I've always wanted to have a portable version of an old school amp distortion I like.
How difficult is it to turn a solid state amp's distortion channel into a pedal?
The schematics and parts list are available online (for a price). Can the diagrams be easily interpreted by the not so experienced?
I can solder and read resistor/capacitor values but haven't tried isolating/interpreting a circuit before.
Would one of you knowledgeable veterans outline a step by step before I commit (embarrass) myself?

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Re: Guidance Requested:

Post by rocklander »

count me out sorry.. I'm just a solder jockey... possibly worth asking the question over at FSB though? 'tis a gathering of minds that do this kind of stuff a lot.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

pete_currie
Squier

Post by pete_currie »

What amp is it?

Torturor
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Torturor »

It's a Crate G1600XL, what is FSB?

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Torturor wrote:It's a Crate G1600XL, what is FSB?
http://www.freestompboxes.org/

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

there are a few pedals out there in DIY land that replicate amp channels, can't for the life of me remember what they are right now, but check in with FSB as above, and diystompboxes.com, and track them down and compare them to the amp schematics they come from, that should give you an idea of what is involved.

as I understand it it will never sound the exact same as the real thing. (there are power transformer speaker differences for a start) but could get you close.

if you want to get started building overdrives/distortions/fuzzs there are plenty of easier options to whet the appetite, then step it up to your final goal.

there are a ton of sites offering kits also that may have one of these amp simulators on them, try, general guitar gadgets, pedal parts plus, madbeanpedals.com and everyones friend google.

good luck.

**EDIT**
it's a mesa boogie replica that i see around all the time here are the links for more details

http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/circuits/dr-boogey/
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/C ... k_ver1.pdf
b.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

following on.. runoffgroove.com do a number of amp emulation pedals too..
marshall 18 watt (eighteen); fender somethingerather (professor tweed); marshall suberbass 100 (thor); supro (supreaux and supreaux deux).. and more... :D
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Torturor
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Torturor »

Thanks for all the links guys, gonna do a bit of reading aye.