druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: big muff build

Post by druz15 »

parts and enclosure arrived today, just have to grab the resistors and caps I need from Dick Smith and still waiting on the madbean PCB but think I might grab a prototyping board and wire it all up before I solder stuff onto the PCB to see which transistors and values sound best with my amps.
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

druz15 wrote:parts and enclosure arrived today, just have to grab the resistors and caps I need from Dick Smith and still waiting on the madbean PCB but think I might grab a prototyping board and wire it all up before I solder stuff onto the PCB to see which transistors and values sound best with my amps.
I'd recommend socketing the xistors so you can a) do what you're suggesting re testing types and b) if/when they die, getting devices with more than 2 legs out of a PCB is exponentially harder than those with 2 or less legs.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

FWIW, I have been playing around with my muff lately (yeah, yeah..) and the clipping diode pairs have a large impact on the muff sound. Chuck these in some sockets as well (or try on the breadboard first) because it is well worth it, and from all reports, has a larger effect than subbing transistors. Heaps of info on the net for the sounds you are likely to get.
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by druz15 »

yeah was gonna pick up some tranny sockets and also try swapping out the diodes as well.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by druz15 »

arghh need 2x 100k log/audio pots for this build and Jaycar only had 24mm shaft ones, anyone have any lying around I could buy? Really can't be fucked waiting for another order from effectsconnection
although I will need to do another order there in a month or so when I figure out which build I'll go for next.
Suppose Dick Smith might have them but I doubt it and don't wanna drive back into town again today to be quite honest.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by druz15 »

Saved by the rocklander.
Quick question, I'm wiring everything up on a prototype board now while I'm waiting for the PCB, could I just sub in a fixed value resistor for the two pots I'm getting off Rocky while I wait?
No that wouldn't work doh cause pots are voltage dividers from memory, not the same as a variable resistor.
Wish I'd taken notes/paid more attention in electronics

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

druz15 wrote:Saved by the rocklander.
Quick question, I'm wiring everything up on a prototype board now while I'm waiting for the PCB, could I just sub in a fixed value resistor for the two pots I'm getting off Rocky while I wait?
No that wouldn't work doh cause pots are voltage dividers from memory, not the same as a variable resistor.
Wish I'd taken notes/paid more attention in electronics
very prolly .. which schem are you using?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by druz15 »

well at the moment using the GGG one http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf ... a841b3e85a
but the PCB I got was a madbean one so there will be some slight differences i believe

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

yup, so whack a pair of 50RK then tap the middle out and you'll get approx 50% (it wont be quite right cos they're log pots so it could be more like 25K+75K or their nearest equivalents).. you can mess round with any combo that adds up to approx 100K to get an idea.
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Just get some higher resistance pots from jaycar and use those instead if its only a temp thing, you're gonna want to fiddle the knobs a fair bit :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.