Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3504 times
Been liked: 717 times

The Perfect Power supply

Post by Cdog »

While chopping away one day, as you do... I look down at my board and I see my two tidily placed wall-warts, wedged in between pedals... Suddenly the mojo drains from my fingers as I realise what has happened.
They're perfectly functional, but these wall-warts aren't ideal (read: cool)by any stretch.

So with this rationale, I'm starting my research to build the perfect pedal power supply.

What I want: One compact box, 240V IEC input.
Outputs DC 9V, 9V- for fuzz, 12V, 15V and 18V.
I want to run my 9 volt daisy chain, 12V for my TC Nova delay off it, 15V for upcoming analog delay project and 18V for a valvecaster style tube-pedal project I have in the pipe.
I reckon 2 amps of supply should be plenty of juice. And I want it to be cost effective!

Key attributes:
EMI filter... small transformer-like device which can be built into a IEC socket
Some sort of rectification... not sure which is best
Regulated... pretty basic stuff that can be done with 2-3 caps and an IC per line. Using 1A LM78XX's
Isolated grounds... I'm not convinced every effect needs to be isolated, only some do.
Ideally a set 230-240V primary transformer, as I've heard the switching ones can cause interference. (I had weird issues with my TC supply causing intermittent interference with my octane clone, the problem was fixed by unpluging the TC PSU and putting it back in again.) So If I had a two output transformer, I would keep the 9V output on one (with a small MAX1044 to invert for the -9V) and then 12,15&18 volts on the other secondary. If I had multiple I could isolate more.
Metal enclosure, sensible layout. Shielded supply cables to pedals... (maybe)

Some interesting reading at RG's site, based on an overpriced multitap Weber TX... http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/spyder/spyder.htm
This is a regulated supply from a laptop PSU http://topopiccione.atspace.com/PJ25TPCMedusa.html
General guitar gadgets have some other ideas: http://generalguitargadgets.com/project ... r-supplies

So far I'm starting to realise the key is a good transformer, or transformer(s) with multiple secondary windings.
Type is another question... R-Core and Torroidal look like the audiophile option, though they cost more. Found some options from cheap to expensive.

Easy cheap option, but no isolated outputs: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170390359079 ... 1438.l2649
R-Core would be cool, compact and this has 4 secondaries but more $$$: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220V-50W-R-c ... 4005wt_906
Torriodal options http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/p/t ... s/6718984/

So anyway...
Any thought from the experts? Anything for me to consider? :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7752 times
Been liked: 4191 times

Re: The Perfect Power supply

Post by jeremyb »

I built the Medusa one and its great, very quiet and only downside is no isolation if you run stuff in an effects loop, what I was going to do had I stayed with lots of pedals was put a transformer and bridge rectifier in front of each section of the medusa regulator circuit, using these trannies which have 2x 12V outputs: http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=MF1212 only downside was it would cost about $200 to build a 8 output PSU (4 trannies + regs + blah blah..) another option to do 12V->18V is to use these: http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=MM2011 tis all going to be a large size tho'... I ended up deciding I would get a Pedal Power had I continued down the single pedals path :oops:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I bought an HD500
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 657 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

This is an old story, save some money, DIY!

I've seen a fair few DIY power supplies, including the ones I've built, but I've never seen a DIY one that is even close to as good as the real thing, ie. a Pedalpower 2.
You will have to use off the shelf transformers - Voodoo Labs have theirs custom built, meaning it can be built compact and solid.

So I recommend buying a Voodoo Labs PP 2. It has 9V. By using a parallel connector, you can connect 2x 9v for 18v. By using a parallel connector and the sag outputs, you can carefully drop the voltage to 13/14/15/16/17 volts, what ever you need. It has 12v (Boss ACA) outs, which will power your Nova Delay.

I think a real reliable power supply is worth the coin.

spasm6
Ashton
Ashton

Post by spasm6 »

Just to let you know, Nova Delays run perfectly fine off 9v if you have the current available.
I checked on the TC forums before doing so and have happily used mine on a 1Spot daisy chain for over a year.

Now I need to get a power supply for my Blackstar HT-Dual :? 16v AC at 800ma
AXES | Ibanez AS-103BM
FX | Sonic Research Turbo Tuner > AMT Japanese Girl Wah > Jetter Jetdrive > CMAT Mods Analog Chorus > Way Huge Supa-puss Analog Delay
AMP | Blackstar HT-20

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

spasm6 wrote:Just to let you know, Nova Delays run perfectly fine off 9v if you have the current available.
I checked on the TC forums before doing so and have happily used mine on a 1Spot daisy chain for over a year.

Now I need to get a power supply for my Blackstar HT-Dual :? 16v AC at 800ma
Oh really? I should try it on my board, thanks for that! :)
16VAC PSU, though you may need to change the connector http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp ... TID=1000#3
bbrunskill wrote:This is an old story, save some money, DIY!

I've seen a fair few DIY power supplies, including the ones I've built, but I've never seen a DIY one that is even close to as good as the real thing, ie. a Pedalpower 2.
You will have to use off the shelf transformers - Voodoo Labs have theirs custom built, meaning it can be built compact and solid.

So I recommend buying a Voodoo Labs PP 2. It has 9V. By using a parallel connector, you can connect 2x 9v for 18v. By using a parallel connector and the sag outputs, you can carefully drop the voltage to 13/14/15/16/17 volts, what ever you need. It has 12v (Boss ACA) outs, which will power your Nova Delay.

I think a real reliable power supply is worth the coin.
Come on bro! I hear ya, but if you knew me you'd understand! I don't need a new power supply! :lol:
DIY isn't about saving bux... its about kicking ass! That's why this thread is in the DIY forum and not the GAS 8)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Well its been a while but finally got there... lil photo essay to follow

The schematic. Based on the GGG Ultra Clean PSU, some schamatics in the datasheet for the IC and a Geofex Spyder. Read up quite a bit and decided to use LM317T rather than set value regulators. I will use four of these isolated on one pcb and get 3-18Vish on each depending on what I need.

Eagle was tricky at first but I learned a lot through youtube and from forums. Big thing was getting a decent library to use. This is my first PCB design.

First pcb etch... tried a number of times, lil smudgy using toner transfer but all good.

The Board assembled. Pretty tight on there, but some good heatsink action. Had some freaky issue with one line which came down to a dud leaking electro. Tested and good to go

Enclosure carefully drilled out

Assembled! Tranny is a R-Core type for hifi. Switch, fuse, EMI filter socket... separate ground lug for mains line. Lots of starwashers and tight bolts! AC secondary wires twisted to reduce interference. Top black cover also earthed through the mounting screws. Careful first test using RCD and adjust each line for required volts. Set for 9,9, 12 and 12.6

The end! :D

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

bro that's some cool work.. freaking sweet!
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7752 times
Been liked: 4191 times

Post by jeremyb »

Far out dude, thats beautiful work! 8)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Impressive. Most impressive.

PlukkyBoy
Squier

Post by PlukkyBoy »

Looks great, wish I understood more but but I got lost after the word "schematic"...

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Very very cool. What was the total build cost for you? (if you don't mind me asking)
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

Thats is very nice alright. I have been thinking about building one of these, but with multiple trannies...that makes it quite big for say 4 independent outputs. I guess you sourced a nice mutlitap to overcome that space issue. I figured out you could build a 4 output type design (say 9v) for around $100, using 4 separate trannies (500ma each) with a simple design.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Wow, that's awesome. Great work. I wish I could make a PCB like that.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

Cdog wrote:Eagle was tricky at first but I learned a lot through youtube and from forums. Big thing was getting a decent library to use. This is my first PCB design.
can you give us some links to the youtubes? I've cracked eagle open prolly half a dozen times and have found myself unable to even place a component on a schematic or board :oops: .. it's just so wildly different to(and IME less friendly than) expressPCB
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass