Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Studio vs stage compressors - questions

Post by Ears »

Lawrence wrote:
chapter eight in "Mixing withthe Mind" deals with compressors........what do you mean you dont have a copy! If you ever do recording you MUST own this book!!!!! google it!
Lawrence, do you mean "Mixing with YOUR Mind" ?
this..

http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/contents.php#equip
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

rocklander wrote:
benderissimo wrote:I'd really like a tiny one ideally.
nearly 4 hours since this statement was made... to jb..

..you guys are slacking.. just saying.
I thought it was too obvious so I didn't touch it :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Ears wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
chapter eight in "Mixing withthe Mind" deals with compressors........what do you mean you dont have a copy! If you ever do recording you MUST own this book!!!!! google it!
Lawrence, do you mean "Mixing with YOUR Mind" ?
this..

http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/contents.php#equip
Doh! yes "Mixing withyour mind"

this is the best resource I have ever found. It doesnt remove the need to understand the physics./biology/psychoacoustics etc but it puts aside many fallacies and gives you real techniques that you can apply straight away. A novice will get as much from this as a seasoned expert - just different stuff. Most importantly he puts music ahead of theory....insists on using your mind....hence the title.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

heres a clip from a quick demo of "Thethrill is gone" I was working on today that shows how I use compression on gat. Its a bit rough...pardon the clams and cliches :oops: the effect is quite different on clean versus distortion.

This is actually a VoxTonelab and Number 9 (the one with sound holes)- and BFD in PTLE
solo.mp3
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 117 times
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Ears wrote:
Discussion on DIY stompbox indicates that noise is an ailment of poorly designed and built compressors, way more so than other fx. Also read there that optical compressors have softer attack, can sound sweeter, but suffer more from noise. Any experience of noticeable noise with the Joe Meek?

No noise issues at all. Unless it's there in the source material.

If you're serious about building one of those SSL clone kits, you can put me down for two more. :D

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

Capt. Black wrote:
Ears wrote:
Discussion on DIY stompbox indicates that noise is an ailment of poorly designed and built compressors, way more so than other fx. Also read there that optical compressors have softer attack, can sound sweeter, but suffer more from noise. Any experience of noticeable noise with the Joe Meek?

No noise issues at all. Unless it's there in the source material.

If you're serious about building one of those SSL clone kits, you can put me down for two more. :D
Me too (for two) :mrgreen:

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Ears »

It's possible but don't hold your breath it could be many months away. If I make an SSL for myself it will likely have different front end as I suspect it'll need more (or at least adjustable) gain at input since I'll use it for unbalanced guitar signal rather than line levels, and I'll probably not want it in a rack enclosure, nor perhaps need the metering arrangement. But if I do successfully build I'll get back to you two about the result. More of a chance that I could help make up the pcbs and let you assemble in your own enclosures.

Nice clip Lawrence, especially the tone in the first half.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Lawrence wrote:heres a clip from a quick demo of "Thethrill is gone" I was working on today that shows how I use compression on gat. Its a bit rough...pardon the clams and cliches :oops: the effect is quite different on clean versus distortion.

This is actually a VoxTonelab and Number 9 (the one with sound holes)- and BFD in PTLE
solo.mp3
yeah, sorry but that kind of illustrates my point, the first part sounds to me like it has that spongy feel though masked by the delay etc.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

Lawrence wrote:heres a clip from a quick demo of "Thethrill is gone" I was working on today that shows how I use compression on gat. Its a bit rough...pardon the clams and cliches :oops: the effect is quite different on clean versus distortion.

solo.mp3
Don't care about the compression, the playing is very tasty. 8) :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

BG wrote:

solo.mp3
yeah, sorry but that kind of illustrates my point, the first part sounds to me like it has that spongy feel though masked by the delay etc.
How about posting your version and we can all do some cork sniffing? Time for a Tone Shootout!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Ears »

I like tomatos