alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

This should be fun!

Post by alanp »

I have in my hot little hands some Mad Bean pcb's -- a Cupcake (Orange Squeezer compressor), Double Flush (Bajaman tremolo), Dr Boogey (probably eyes bigger than my stomach here), Rangemaster, and a LaVache on it's way as I type. The Mad Bean pcbs are of amazing quality, it seems a shame to solder them.

And hopefully in a couple weeks lots of parts from Tayda, Smallbear, and Pedalpartsplus. PPP and SB because for some weird reason, each are missing parts (either not there, twice the price, or out of stock -- for both vendors), but between them they make up the whole shebang.

This is going to be lots of fun! (Although it has cemented in my mind that I'm sticking to kits when it comes to amps, sourcing different parts is bad enough for pedals.) Weirdly, I'm more worried about this than I ever was about my valve amps that involve several hundred volts, not nine. Probably because silicon transistors and ICs aren't as sturdy as 12ax7s and easier to turn into friodes.

I've emailed Hi-Q for prices on hammond boxes, so hopefully good news there, might ghetto something up otherwise.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Re: This should be fun!

Post by Cdog »

Woo! just clearcoated a 'boomstick' madbean build this avo, the pcbs are excellent. :)

I have bought enclosures locally from Jaycar in the past, they have 1590B and 1590BB enclosures... and Global PC have 125Bs, but theyre pricey. On the webz Tayda have 1590A, 1590B and 1590BB all cheap as chips and good quality :)

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

I love the sound of the LaVache Rocky built for me. Easily my favourite OD pedal.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Minor update, just got an email from Pedalpartsplus. They're sending me a refund, since apparently switches and resistors don't cost as much as they thought to ship, so $17USD is coming back to me :D
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

alanp wrote:Minor update, just got an email from Pedalpartsplus. They're sending me a refund, since apparently switches and resistors don't cost as much as they thought to ship, so $17USD is coming back to me :D
Well thats pretty cool... Nice that they're honest enough to refund you

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Yeah, definitely would trade again.

Highly annoyed with myself for ordering the 1590 boxes last, since they will arrive last this way and then I have to paint and drill them before I can stuff them. This way, though, I will have to test things before I bolt everything down 8) Going to go with a theme -- a deep red enamel allover, with black enamel bands on top and bottom, with white enamel paint for writing. (Haven't priced this out yet, so this might change yet.)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

alanp wrote:Yeah, definitely would trade again.

Highly annoyed with myself for ordering the 1590 boxes last, since they will arrive last this way and then I have to paint and drill them before I can stuff them. This way, though, I will have to test things before I bolt everything down 8) Going to go with a theme -- a deep red enamel allover, with black enamel bands on top and bottom, with white enamel paint for writing. (Haven't priced this out yet, so this might change yet.)
Impatience is the bane of my pedal building... :|
Once I've tested the circuit I always lose interest in the build and just want it done... Always worth spending some time on the paint job though, thats all anyone else ever seems to appreciate ;)
Did you get 1590A, B or BBs?

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Got 4 b's, 1 bb (for the Boogey) and a A for experimental purposes (if I can shoehorn the orange squeezer in there, might do that, otherwise it's going in a B.)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

That Dr Boogie/ChunkChunk circuit is sublime. Absolutely my favourite distortion ever... good times ahead 8)

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

so keen on doing one of the madbean DMMs but don't have an audio probe to set it up properly. Or the time or patience really
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

druz15 wrote:so keen on doing one of the madbean DMMs but don't have an audio probe to set it up properly. Or the time or patience really
yea it looks pretty intense! from the forums it looks like one of those projects that is VERY unforgiving of mistakess!

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

Audio probe is super simple to build. A jack, a cap and some wire with alligator clips from memory. Definitely a worthwhile project if you're building a few pedals I reckon.
+1 on the DMM. So keen to do this, but I don't have the balls yet...

AlanP - sweet to see another pedal builder on the forum. Hope the builds go well. I found my amp build much harder (more time consuming) than any pedals, so I think you'll be alright.
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

bought a bit of stuff from pedalparts plus, everytime the system over charges and you get a refund. kinda fun way to shop
b.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

A package from Tayda arrived, with CF resistors, *some* semiconductors, and capacitors. (All the other bits with current going through I ordered from SB or PPP.) I ordered two cupcake PCB's by accident, so I started stuffing one of those with the reasoning that I ordered some extra of every component I could, so it wouldn't matter if I rooted the board too much with a spare on hand.
DSCF0201.JPG
I've soldered together two amps, but this was on another level! The tiny, fiddlyness of the detail involved... far more annoying, however, the fact that the damn thing kept moving when I tried to solder to it with the 40W iron. I wound up weighing it down with the sidecutters while I soldered. I worked in order of resistors-signal caps-semiconductors-electrolytic caps. Can't wait till the rest arrives and I can test it out!

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

The PPP part arrived. I'm going to have to concentrate to ignore the 3PDT stomp switches and ignore the many hours of titu'ing fun they present while I wait for the rest. The OC44 for the Rangemaster arrived in an antistatic bag. I'm starting to get genuinely worried about that, since they're not cheap.

Naturally, parts are missing for every board, at the moment. Go figure.

I had ordered a bunch of 5% carbon film resistors, but have decided to order some metal film 1% ones. So I'm holding off doing any soldering until those arrive, along with proper 3362 trimpots. The Cupcake trimpot is going to be relocated to an external potentiometer.

Something has cropped up which may be an issue. I ordered TJM4558 ic's, rather than NJM or JRC 4558's. I've decided to just wait until power is applied and see how they sound. I can't find anything on pedal forums about TJM4558's.