Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby

Post by Slowy »

I have one of these. It goes 'eeeee euwwww' in a dismal whiney way. It stills the morning birdsong, robs the heavens of starlight and sucks the joy out of a beautiful day.
It's dreck.

Unfortunately, a long time ago, I paid the Rockshop a lot of money to fit true bypass and replace some bits in this thing. I've never had my money's worth and I couldn't in all conscience inflict it on some poor unsuspecting soul.

Soooo..... There's a guy on TM who modifies Wahs. Anybody had experience of his work?

Voicing is an issue 'cos I'm not really sure what I want. A sweep with a really vocal 'Wah' would be a good start. I'm most likely to use a wah as a notch filter because there's a cool tone at some point in the sweep.
Counsel appreciated.

This has suddenly become an urgent issue because the Daphon is heading for the fencepost and the Dunlop looks like joining it.
Last edited by Slowy on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby

Post by shinenz »

Yer if its the same guy from tardme i had him mod my hendrix wah, vodoo chile mod and true bypass, he put the led in stupid spot tho.... but apart from that i'm happy as. U wuda been beta to get a hendrix wah, far beta than gcb imo. But yer, it's good value for muni from that guy
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

shinenz wrote:Yer if its the same guy from tardme i had him mod my hendrix wah, vodoo chile mod and true bypass, he put the led in stupid spot tho.... but apart from that i'm happy as. U wuda been beta to get a hendrix wah, far beta than gcb imo. But yer, it's good value for muni from that guy
The last two sentences hurt my brain.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

I'm sure the difference is only the value of one cap between standard and JH. I,ve mucked with a few. Quite easy to get dial in what you want. http://www.wah-wah.co.uk/diy.html
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

Wah modding is an easy job and often over-priced in my opinion. I think the Macpherson guy (if that's who you were referring to) has posted on here a couple of times and may yet join the party. Timoes is correct, the change between JH-1 and GCB is only one cap. It does make the wah more bassy, if I can describe it that way, but I wouldn't say it makes it more 'vocal'. The 'vocal mod' often talked about, is also only a single resistor change, I find it useful to have this as an external pot. SF, are you planning on doing some modifications yourself?
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

Yes the vocal mod is cool. Much more of a "vowel" sound.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

handlefras wrote:. SF, are you planning on doing some modifications yourself?
Don't see why not, if someone can point me to the right bits. I have a soldering iron, I have no idea what I'm doing; what could possibly go wrong? :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Thanks Timoes. Right; I'll do it!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

benderissimo wrote:
shinenz wrote:Yer if its the same guy from tardme i had him mod my hendrix wah, vodoo chile mod and true bypass, he put the led in stupid spot tho.... but apart from that i'm happy as. U wuda been beta to get a hendrix wah, far beta than gcb imo. But yer, it's good value for muni from that guy
The last two sentences hurt my brain.
Ben, stop trying to pretend you're old. You can't pull it off. :P