Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Boss SD-1 Mods.

Post by badmotor »

So I did my first pedal mod last night. Instantly regretted it.

The SD-1 is close to an overdrive sound I have in my head, so I took out the C6 cap (clipped permanently) as all the internet hyperbole stated that it makes it sound 'more open' and 'loses the midrange hump' etc. But to my ears, it took away all the midrange and the bottom end as well... leaving me with this thin sounding thing. Some might like it, but not I.

Anyone here can mod these? Perhaps help put a cap back in and get it back to stock? Or a better one that extends the bottom end a bit and brings back the midrange?

I have no modding experience and am average with a soldering iron. Bit gun-shy now. :?
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: Boss SD-1 Mods.

Post by Snarblinge »

happy to pop a cap in for you, board looks easy enough to work on, so if you research any other changes you want i can make these also. PM me.
b.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

badmotor wrote:as all the internet hyperbole stated that it makes it sound 'more open'
The word "open" is compulsory in all internet hype about any kind of musical or audio gear. I've never really been able to tell what people mean by it. More treble? Virtually everything that's claimed to be good is described as "open" sounding :?
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Snarblinge wrote:happy to pop a cap in for you, board looks easy enough to work on, so if you research any other changes you want i can make these also. PM me.
Right on!
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Some Bozo wrote:
badmotor wrote:as all the internet hyperbole stated that it makes it sound 'more open'
The word "open" is compulsory in all internet hype about any kind of musical or audio gear. I've never really been able to tell what people mean by it. More treble? Virtually everything that's claimed to be good is described as "open" sounding :?
I feel like I fell into a trap. :eh:

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I will find it hilarious if someone somewhere tries to cut off a cap on something like an HD500 to make it sound more open :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I don't actually have anything useful to contribute.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

While we are on the subject, the other term that is getting on my goat is 'blanket'. i.e:

"It sounds like a blanket has been lifted off the speakers" or "It sounds like there is a blanket over it". Must be a throwback to when the American settlers were trading blankets and muskets.

Blanket!

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Some Bozo »

slash-ed wrote:I will find it hilarious if someone somewhere tries to cut off a cap on something like an HD500 to make it sound more open :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I don't actually have anything useful to contribute.
As soon as I find which chip is stopping it sounding open, that biatch is coming off!
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

badmotor wrote:While we are on the subject, the other term that is getting on my goat is 'blanket'. i.e:

"It sounds like a blanket has been lifted off the speakers" or "It sounds like there is a blanket over it". Must be a throwback to when the American settlers were trading blankets and muskets.

Blanket!
Once again just seems to mean TREBLE + MOAR
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

badmotor wrote:While we are on the subject, the other term that is getting on my goat is 'blanket'. i.e:

Blanket!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Clarky »

Dexter Mods can do a switchable TS9 mod which really opens up your options.
Konx om Pax