Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 657 times

Voodoo Labs PP2+ AC mod

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Hi guys,
Thought I'd share my PP2 mod with ya'll!

I recently got a BBE Acoustimax DI/Preamp/EQ (it's great), and it needs a 12volt AC power supply, which is stepped up internally to 24 volts for tons of headroom. Unfortunately, the power supply it comes with is HUGE, heavy and not very pedalboard friendly at all. (Kind of like the pedal itself)

I got a bit frustrated at my VL PP2+, it cost lots and has never failed me, but it can't power AC things - or can it?

After a bit of probing with a multimeter, I found that it is indeed possible to to mod the thing so that one of the outputs is 12 volts AC. I can also get 9volt AC out of it too, if I wanted. This means that you can power weird things like a Whammy, Jamman, and various other gear that needs 9-12volt AC, without a second power supply and the extra clutter and weight that entails.
The mod is reversible too, so you can get your 9VDC back if you want.

Anyway, if you are interested I'm be happy to mod yours, PM me for info.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Voodoo Labs PP2+ AC mod

Post by cholera »

Dammit I would have been keen to trade my Cioks AC-10 for a PP2! I can't power my flanger with the Cioks, and have no AC pedals! Is it possible to mod an output from 12 to 18 volts you think?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

cholera wrote:Dammit I would have been keen to trade my Cioks AC-10 for a PP2! I can't power my flanger with the Cioks, and have no AC pedals! Is it possible to mod an output from 12 to 18 volts you think?
It would technically be possible, but very complex. Much easier would be to combine 2x isolated 9volt outputs for a total of 18.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

Ah of course! I dont have any spare outputs tho! Thanks anyway mate, keep looking for another power supply I guess, tho all I have to do is use one extra power supply, just sucks having everything BUT one pedal running off the Cioks.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

cholera wrote:Ah of course! I dont have any spare outputs tho! Thanks anyway mate, keep looking for another power supply I guess, tho all I have to do is use one extra power supply, just sucks having everything BUT one pedal running off the Cioks.
Use a small daisy chain on a few pedals? You can often chain a couple of low draw things likes OD's together.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

I'm already daisy chaining the hell out of it....could probably squeeze a few more in tho...I have 13 pedalss on the board, from 6 outputs. There's a couple of things that make it hard because of large current draws, the Pog2 is something like 160ma and a freeze is about 140. I only have on 600 ma output, all the rest are either 100 or 200....except for my big useless AC output!

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

You could probably build a circuit in a small box that turns the 12volt AC into 9v DC

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2268 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

4 diodes and a couple of resistors, couple of smoothing caps, piece of cake :) bit of veroboard to build it on :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

BG wrote:4 diodes and a couple of resistors, couple of smoothing caps, piece of cake :) bit of veroboard to build it on :)
Yep! I'd say omit the resistors and whack in a voltage regulator.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 566 times

Voodoo Labs PP2+ AC mod

Post by TmcB »

bbrunskill wrote:You could probably build a circuit in a small box that turns the 12volt AC into 9v DC
I did this exactly. A rectifier and a couple of big filtering caps and it did the bizzo.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

Absolutely no idea what any of you guys are talking about, but its about time I learnt something...thanks for the ideas!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2268 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:
BG wrote:4 diodes and a couple of resistors, couple of smoothing caps, piece of cake :) bit of veroboard to build it on :)
Yep! I'd say omit the resistors and whack in a voltage regulator.
yeah, I'm old skool voltage divider :( reg will do it better and probably cheaper too nowadays...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.