Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Orange squeeze STYLE booster?

Post by Single coil »

Right, so a couple months ago I had the idea to have a clean boost built into the same sort of enclosure as the old old orange squeezers were built in - The kind that plugs directly into your guitar and has a 9v battery inside it.

I wanted this rather than a pedal to A) unclutter my board a wee bit, and B) because I'll only ever use it with my tele to solve a volume issue.

If I can get myself a clean boost, is anyone here brave enough to try to attempt the build? The annoying bit is building a right angle thing to fit in the sunken tele jack.

But why can't you do it yourself?

I'm useless as at anything marginally electronic. I've tried to solder strat style pickguards before with... Pretty bad results. And I can't see the coloured wires properly anyway.

TL;DR
Electronics noob wants clean boost in orange squeezer style guitar jack enclosure.

This obviously isn't one, but I couldn't find a picture of an original orange squeeze in a guitar and this looks like a heaps better example anyway, weird japanese thing and all :

werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Orange squeeze STYLE booster?

Post by ash »

Why don't you have it inside the guitar? More room and much less prone to disaster and drama in there.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

I've used such a device in a strat configuration, a small circuit board in the control cavity and a battery stuffed between the trem springs. It was really quite likeable but for reasons of L-word must remain in hiding. Anyway my strats must remain 100% organic.
Last edited by calling card on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

I'd snap that off a tele the first time I put it down :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

ash wrote:Why don't you have it inside the guitar? More room and much less prone to disaster and drama in there.
+1, enable it with a push pull pot even :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

The Eric Clapton stratocaster have it. You can dial in the boost with the bottom tone knob. The circuit sits under the pickguard, and the battery is in with the trem springs.

That might not fit in your guitar though.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I've made a couple in the past, not hard. I've got a seymour duncan afterburner somewhere too, ready to go back in a strat.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

jeremyb wrote:
ash wrote:Why don't you have it inside the guitar? More room and much less prone to disaster and drama in there.
+1, enable it with a push pull pot even :)
I'd rather have the external thingy. If it breaks in the guitar, the guitar's out of the game until the unit's fixed.
That, and I don't need to do any routing or rewiring or adding switches etc to the guitar. And the unit will be portable......... Which I should've mentioned.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

less chance of it breaking in the guitar though, more chance of you snapping the plug off in the tele socket...

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

BG wrote:less chance of it breaking in the guitar though, more chance of you snapping the plug off in the tele socket...
I'm not a complete munter. :problem:

So, unanimous advice of NZG is "Cool idea, but probably not very practical"?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

accidents happen, especially when on the edge of a guitar, telling ya, I'd break it off within 10 minutes :) Couple of beers and things get careless.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

http://www.lovepedal.com/pedals/amp_50.html is TINY, and sounds great, Clarky has one 8)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

jeremyb wrote:http://www.lovepedal.com/pedals/amp_50.html is TINY, and sounds great, Clarky has one 8)
Great, now who makes a clone with a battery in it? :lol:

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

seriously, a small pedal is going to be more practical. Or if you only use it with one guitar, build it in. Clean boost circuits are simple and easy to build.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

it's a doddle to build, but put it in the Gat or leave it on the floor.

if you must battery power it, what battery were you thinking of using? 1.5v won't really cut it. and those car remote batteries are a bit pricey for how long you will likely get out of them. pretty much you are stuck with 9v it's too big to hang on an input jack, but easy to replace at that gig when it all starts to go wrong.

to save space i'd install it. easy as to remove, easy to install.

it would be far more practical to have it on the board.

who doesn't want more pedals on their board????
b.