cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Who has a HOG here? Need help.

Post by cholera »

I tried to use my HOG for the first time through this rack set up at a gig a while back. Beofre I even got a sound sorted I noticed the input gain was clipping when ever I palm mute "chug". The guitar is a 7 string with Bareknuckles in it so fairly high output, is it possible a pickup can be too high output for a pedal? Basically, it's clipping (has an LED) when the gain is practically ANYTHING above 0. I haven't been using it much lately but pretty sure I didn't have this problem when playing at home with a six string. Only other thing I can think of is that guitar was a lot louder when at this gig than it is ever sitting in my room....

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Re: Who has a HOG here? Need help.

Post by Ironbird13 »

I never turn up the gain on my hog. it'll clip if I run dirt into it. without dirt it doesnt clip till about a 1/4 up. thats running either the BKP Nailbomb or the SD Invader into it. so pretty high output PUps
could be the lower tunings of the 7string too? im only in D standard or drop C
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

Thanks Iron bird. I'm not putting anything into the HOG, it was just in a chain straight after a Noise gate then into amp. By "putting dirt into the HOG" you mean putting an OD/Dist pedal in front of the HOG right? I can see how that might cause early clipping, but noting going into it Id think Id at least be able to have it on one or two without freaking out?

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

yeah, i was meaning pedal in front.
so what PUps are you using?
cholera wrote: but noting going into it Id think Id at least be able to have it on one or two without freaking out?
youd think :?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

My Universe has a BK Painkiller in it. I have an SG with dirty fingers which IIRC are pretty hot, so I'll give that a whirl tonight along with my other SH with the regular 498 combo ( I think), and see if there is much of a difference. I've had this for a while but never messed around with it to much. Last time I did I couldn't get an effected signal out of it at all...keen to spens a bit of time with it tonight. New Jam room means I can crank stuff a bit without freaking anyone out...

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

cholera wrote: Last time I did I couldn't get an effected signal out of it at all..
:oh: :(

I never really have the gain or dry turned up myself, always have those 2 sliders down

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

I should elaborate on that. I have plugged it in 4-5 times since I have owned it. Sometimes it seems sweet, other times it just seems to "die". Basically, it still gets power but after switching on and off a few times I suddenly get nothing but the dry signal even tho it is engaged. Last night was the first time I've used it in a while, I should probably take it off TM. I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with the mess of pedals/rack amp setup tho. I got it off Danny on here and he said he never had any problems with it, and it wouldn't be the first time a pedal has won in a battle of wits. :oops: I tend to give up and sell them if they don't play by my rules....

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

is it on its own powersupply?

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

Ironbird, it seems from the gearfest posts that you are in Welly? If I can ever tempt you out to Lower Hutt to compare HOGs and drink a beer or two that would be swell.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

Yep, own PS. because of this stupid reverse polarity that EHX seem to like. Never got around to getting a reverse polarity cable yet.

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

cholera wrote:Yep, own PS. because of this stupid reverse polarity that EHX seem to like. Never got around to getting a reverse polarity cable yet.
yeah lol, I didnt notice the plug size was slightly diff to normal, untill you had mentioned that a while ago.
I have heard they dont like daisy chains...

cholera wrote:Ironbird, it seems from the gearfest posts that you are in Welly? If I can ever tempt you out to Lower Hutt to compare HOGs and drink a beer or two that would be swell.
nah, im up in Wanganui

if you ever play up these ways let me know, we have played the same gig together, at Duncan Pavilion here a few years ago (im presuming you were in Backyard Burial then?)

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

Ah true. OK no worries. I would have been in BYB then, I started the band. Only gig I remember playing up that way was some place near a beach, it looked like surf club or something? A long long time ago anyway! What band were you in back then?

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

cholera wrote:Ah true. OK no worries. I would have been in BYB then, I started the band. Only gig I remember playing up that way was some place near a beach, it looked like surf club or something? A long long time ago anyway! What band were you in back then?
yeah thats the place, right on the beach. same band im in now, Reapers Luck

you guys were fuckin br00tal, dont think half the crowd knew what hit them :lol: :lol:

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

actually, just looking at some old gig pics, I would have been in Imperil then (same singer but new drummer and a bassist now for RL)
I think that was our first gig :lol:

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

I don't think half of BYB knew what hit them. Seemed to be a whole shitload of underaged boozed girls riding on the back of motorcross bikes. Unfortunately that's about the only thing I remember from that gig. Incidentally, what would happen if my new band Bulletbelt came up there now? Is there any bogans up there who still go to gigs?