alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: This should sound... weird

Post by alanp »

Anyone else afflicted with a permanent internal voice saying, "This could be better..." ?

I decided to re-layout the EFM 3046VCO for SMD parts, and with a more Mutable inspired thing, where the only parts visible once done are trimmers and the power connector on the back. Fairly limited as VCO's go (the Square output is anemic, still haven't got around to figuring out why, and it doesn't go very high in frequency), but satisfying nonetheless :)

I think I've hit my 40W pencil iron's limitations -- the tip was nearly too rounded for the LM3046 IC, and the 47uF caps barely got soldered at all.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

alanp wrote:Anyone else afflicted with a permanent internal voice saying, "This could be better..." ?
Yes, about everything, all the time.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

hamo wrote:
alanp wrote:Anyone else afflicted with a permanent internal voice saying, "This could be better..." ?
Yes, about everything, all the time.
yeah what hamo says...but all the stuff you post, I have NO idea what the hell any of it does so part of me thinks you are mister spock :rofl: :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
Been liked: 1 time

Post by fuzziebro »

willow13 wrote:
yeah what hamo says...but all the stuff you post, I have NO idea what the hell any of it does so part of me thinks you are mister spock :rofl: :rofl:
Methinks AP is a bit that way (in a good way)...

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/04pzhe35wpfdy ... s.mp3?dl=0

Chaos module, played around with it a bit. This one is a titu-finger's paradise.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai

Post by fuzziebro »

alanp wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/04pzhe35wpfdy ... s.mp3?dl=0

This one is a titu-finger's paradise.
A rare native NZ bird?

:lol:

I like that on the boards above, there's ample room for std size comps too - did you go SMD just for the hell of it?

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai

Post by fuzziebro »

alanp wrote: I decided to re-layout the EFM 3046VCO for SMD parts, and with a more Mutable inspired thing, where the only parts visible once done are trimmers and the power connector on the back. Fairly limited as VCO's go (the Square output is anemic, still haven't got around to figuring out why, and it doesn't go very high in frequency), but satisfying nonetheless :)

guess i didnt read this properly the first time; just not a fan of SMD, but its not a criticism; it takes a lot of skill and patience to work with the stuff.

http://www.buyanalogman.com/Analog_Man_ ... ardx20.htm

Analog mike : "no surface mount components"

:rofl:

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

I did the SMD partly as a learning experience -- I've got some Mutable Instruments Braids boards here, and they are not something I want to try with SMD-virgin hands. I'd already done the 3046VCO in through-hole.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

I'm shocked you only have a 40w iron!

There was a lot of chat about cheaper digital controlled offerings on diystomp.com a while back. Could take halo tips from memory.

Surely starting down the smd road is time to treat yourself to a new iron?
b.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

I assume you have a large magnifying something to even see those parts? fuck I have enough trouble with seeing the through hole bits sometimes let alone SMD things. Good work by the way, you the modular bug well and truly by the looks. I have the inner voice thing all the time too, but that is what makes us do more and search for galaxies far far away :)
OMM OM MM OMM MM

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

No, no magnifying glass. I need to get one, or one of those jeweler's loupes. I'm thinking a glass on a stand.

And I have a 15W iron, but I first tried to use it on the 5E3, went "Fuck this", and pulled out the 40W. The 15W hasn't been used since, and certainly not in any music gear.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

My Synthcube kits for the Orgone Accumulator arrived today, so I got busy soldering.

Until I hit a brick wall, in the step detailing how to solder the first switch (the Teensyduino is on the other side, so special care...)

Switch, switch... who's got the switch...

FACK

And they're switches I can't easily get otherwise. Emailed synthcube, highly unimpressed. Two kits I've ordered from them, issues on both. (The Klee, they first sent me a Parts kit, not the full one.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Current status: waiting for the FTDI dongle. And the 10kB pots. This is probably the kiddy pool to MisteriousJ and SpruceMoose.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Soldered up a Yusynth Clock Divider! It takes the incoming clock and divides it down, either by two, or three, all the way to dividing by eight. Yves Usson's page is a lot better at describing this: http://www.yusynth.net/Modular/EN/DIVIDER/index.html

But if you looked at the wiring diagram on his page, there is a lot of wires. I hate doing wires. So I fired up Eagle. Yes, those rotary switches come in 1P8T as well as 2P4T. The 1P8T cost a lot and only come from Mouser, though.

This one was a complete SWINE to lay out. And I got the rotary switch layout wrong (which is why the jack board is a newer revision than the engine board.) But it is now working! (I had the LEDs sitting loose in the holes for them -- I plan on soldering them in when I get a faceplate made and can do the right length for them that way.)

mysteriousj
Stagg
Stagg

Post by mysteriousj »

Wow, I'm so jelly of your modular synth setup. I know if I get one I'd probably never leave the house.

Also, those rotary switches look awesome.. I've always been looking for something similar do you have any part numbers? Screw wiring rotary switches that's for sure.