Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: This should sound... weird

Post by alanp »

alanp wrote:I bought a new Eagle licence, and so far I've designed this:
Submitted the VCO Clock boards for fab, along with a small test breakout board (the three major segments will be connected by 2x5 and 2x8 cables, the test board can jump in here.)

Once it's going, I'll get the rest of the PCBs for this fabbed. I'm so excited about this, I want to wash off the SHAME of my first attempt at a 960 sequencer in euro. One of the 160x100 boards have gone down to 150x100 (cheaper slot at seeed) :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0tkielbiguto ... y.pdf?dl=0 I've worked up a front panel for this, so you can get an idea.
Modify message

Oh yes, my eurorack case is full, now. I'm going to have to juggle modules or build a new case.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

JH's Wasp VCF :)

ImageImage

Experimented with a PCB-material front panel. Seems to work so far. Only part that really bothers me is that I forgot M3 mounting holes, and had to resort to zipties (ugh).

Really nice, unique filter.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

Nice work Al, as usual.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

In the words of Skwisgaar Skwigelf, "Goes home, takes a shower, and washes da shames off."

A bit more experience under my belt, some better parts in my Eagle library, and I'm taking another swing at this bloody module. This time, the first part I did was the VC Clock, on the basis that if I munt it as a whole, I'll hopefully have at least a useful utility clock module out of this.

Triple board sandwich, to squeeze a lot of crap into a small space. I didn't leave as much room as I should have for the polystyrene cap, but it fits. The resistor between the TL071 and the transistor pair is supposed to be a tempco. Meh. I'm testing! I used 1/8Watt resistors as much as possible, for space reasons. The MLCC 1uF cap is part of the power on start circuit, so it doesn't really matter as far as quality goes as long as it provides that pulse.

The empty pads on the top board are where I'm going to solder in push buttons (Start, Stop, and Shift) on the final thing.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Amazing as always!

Are you using seeedstudio? Have you tried Dangerous Prototype?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

A green sandwich of awesome

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

http://modularsynthesis.com/moog/960/960.htm

^^ That's the original model.

The rest of my PCB's arrived, and I spent a furious few hours soldering. I think I'm about total of halfway through soldering it.

Still waiting on rotary switches, plus I haven't ordered the front panel yet.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Holy shitballs batman!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

I'm still waiting on the rotary switches -- the 3.5mm jacks, the pushbuttons, the LEDs, and most of the pots are not soldered in.

Grrr! Go faster, couriers!

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Knocked the bastard off.

Works as it should -- stage set buttons (used a pair of insulated sidecutters to make contact, for now), skip-stop-reset-normal on the rotary switches, the lot.

Chuffed to bits. Now I need to finalize the FPE panel for this.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

So epic Alan, you need to do a tour video of all the modules and what they do / sound like etc!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

There. Done. Mostly.

Still some quibbles -- the Shift button does not shift cleanly, yet, and the rotary switches for steps 1 and 8 do not conform to the rest of the stage switches. But she's done enough for now.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Been working on a clone of the Buchla Source Of Uncertainty for the last couple months. Noise, random voltages, all kinds of fun.

Also got a kit for the Serge Resonant Equalizer from Elby Designs. Ben, you'd LOVE this thing.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Insanely impressive. I not only tip my hat to you Sir, but do so while bowing.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

Alan, if you are ordering anything from mouser drop me a line, I messed up a fader order (20mm not 60mm) need to reorder, can't justify freight. Nice looking kit btw.
b.