Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: This should sound... weird

Post by Snarblinge »

looks really good, won't have time or cash for such a beast in a while, looks like the project is a rather temporary thing, so well done on all fronts
b.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

So, who wants a sequencer? :)

'Tis working, gate, step selector, push buttons and all. Did a spot of troubleshooting (had two 100k resistors where I needed 10k), but other than that putting the switches in the board/panel was the most annoying part. Just waiting on knobs from Erthenvar now, but other than that it's all done.

I was never hugely happy with my first Baby Ten sequencer layout, but I'm very happy with this one. No wires, nice and clean, slightly smaller panel.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
Been liked: 1 time

Post by fuzziebro »

alanp wrote: So, who wants a sequencer? :)

Maybe one day Alan, I used to be into synths and stuff, you never know! :)

yeah easy to get 10k and 100k mixed up...

Nice professional inspiring work, hey can I ask where you get your short barrel toggles? I used to get mine from effectsconnection but they gone now...

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Tayda, tbh they're a bit tall to work well with 9mm pots, but close enough for rock n roll.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Got boards on the way from seeed for a guitar interface (boosts the signal to synth levels, and processes it through Harry Bissell's Low Ripple Fast Response Envelope Follower for gate and CV, plus trigger), and an improved minimoog VCF pcb set.

Also, fed up with (ab)using my two audio input filters as mixers (they colour the mix, it's what filters are meant to do, not be mixers), so I have some mixer boards on order from oshpark, using another fine yusynth schematic :)

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

I think I'm going to have to think about selling one of my Minimoog VCF's -- once my seeed boards arrive and I've built one up, I'll have three of the things.

Faceplates for 'em arrived today -- the guy threw in a couple on some material I don't normally pick. One is mirror silver with black under-plastic writing, another is black, with grey under-plastic writing (ie, black letters on silver background, and grey letters on black.) As well as the two I'd ordered, white writing on black background. Rullywowr is a genuine GC :)

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

alanp wrote:I think I'm going to have to think about selling one of my Minimoog VCF's -- once my seeed boards arrive and I've built one up, I'll have three of the things.

Faceplates for 'em arrived today -- the guy threw in a couple on some material I don't normally pick. One is mirror silver with black under-plastic writing, another is black, with grey under-plastic writing (ie, black letters on silver background, and grey letters on black.) As well as the two I'd ordered, white writing on black background. Rullywowr is a genuine GC :)
The last part arrived today -- the PCBs. I'd sorted all the small parts before this, so I was able to stuff them and get it finished from bare board to finished module in about 1.5 hours (haven't matched the ladder transistors, though.)

This looks beautiful in real life, but the reflective finish is a pig to photograph. I promise it really does look better!

Just realised I forgot the TL072. Crazily, I was able to get noise out. I'll put it in and re-test later :D

As it is, chuffed to bits.

This gives you an idea of the construction. I added the zip ties because friction is not enough to hold the two boards together.

This gives you an idea of how much I shrank it down by.

This gives you an idea of how much wiring I did NOT have to do :D

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Spent a couple hours soldering parts onto the Tau Phaser board. 40 15nF caps on the damn filter ladder alone. Fifteen odd IC sockets. Plus more.

Oh, and a 1k tempco resistor, which has to be thermally connected to a nearby IC, so it is sitting on top (with long legs bent towards the resistor pads) with some Arctic Silver 5 in between. Funny old world.

Not sure I can be arsed with the rest right now.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Baby's First 5U:

Jurgen Haible's Tau Pipe Phaser. This sounds ridiculously good, running synth stuff through it from my Eurorack. It sounds good plugging the guitar straight into it, too! I did the shielded cable as per examples I saw on Ceriatone's forum, with Dumble amp builds. Ran out of the big heatshrink, though.

Although, mentioning the Eurorack... the +/- 12V PSU in that was not going to cut the mustard with this, so I dug into my collection o' pedals, pulled out the Infinitphase clone, and now it's running off that for the time being, along with 3.5mm to 1/4" converter jacks.

Which is kinda funny, a phaser powering another phaser.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

FIXED FILTER BANK time!

http://yusynth.net/Modular/EN/BANK/index.html

If you look at the original PCB Yves did, there is like ten bazillion wires which I am too lazy to do. I was sick today (couldn't focus on warcraft or anything), so I spent some time in Eagle. (I don't know what's wrong with my head, I can't go ten seconds without coughing my throat up, or focus on a good book, or game... but circuit layout? A-OK!)

Three PCBs, designed to be sandwiched together with headers. One jackboard, PCB mount jacks and pots, and two engineboards for the active filters.

Starts at 88Hz Lowpass, goes through twelve fixed bandpass filters, and tops out with a 7KHz Highpass filter.
Attachments
engboard b.png
engboard a.png
jackboard.png

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3501 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

nice work! pretty complex looking layout made to look very tidy :)

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

You learn something with every new layout project... the hardest lesson is to take your time, though!

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Right, PCBs are shipping, so it's inventory time and order what's missing.

In case you were wondering, the fourteen pots make up more than half of the cost of the order. (The other half includes 5 pots for the RS20 VCF I'm also working on.) Hardware always costs more than the actual silicon, resistors, and capacitors.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Current state of affairs. The pcb is a mixer, waiting on faceplates for it atm. The 1/4" adaptors are for the Tau Pipe module :D

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Zv54Ky0HE[/youtube]

Sorry about the quality.