meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: This should sound... weird

Post by willow13 »

alanp wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Zv54Ky0HE[/youtube]

Sorry about the quality.
don't know what I just watched but my mind is blown that you built those :shock: :thumbup:

oh and was it you that supplied the radio stations with the "noise" from the comet lander thing
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

moliere
Squier
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by moliere »

alanp wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Zv54Ky0HE[/youtube]

Sorry about the quality.
Very awesome. building my modular GAS.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Have an update. The fixed filter bank boards arrived, and I promptly spent about 5 or 6 hours working on the damn things. (It's a sickness, a mental one.)

First up, the pot side view.

Back o' the pots. Imagine running wires to every one of the damn things, plus the 5 jacks. The resistors are SIP resistor networks in the original, cbf.

Slap another engine board on top of the pot board...

And top it off with the second engineboard, which has the power connector as well (v. important, won't get far without it.)

Here's a side view. Phwoar!

This one, I added 3mm holes for bolts to hold it together -- no zip ties for this baby! Annoyingly, I only got it working AFTER one of the flatmates went to bed (at least, it doesn't shit the PSU anymore.)

I'll test it more thoroughly with a noise source tomorrow :)
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

ImageImage

Mixer, for 3 in, 1 out (and 1 inverted out as well), with level indicator. Another cracking good Yusynth project :)

Annoyingly, I forgot to flip the panel coordinates. So that is why the writing is backward >:( but I needed a mixer, so yay! :)
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Finally finished this.

(Yes, wood panel plastic. My panel man comes up with amazing stuff sometimes!)

This is of the back board -- one of two engineboards, with a board just for jacks and pots as well.

This gives you an idea of the construction (and how much of a swine it was to build!)

I really understand what a.b meant by shaping the white noise with it, now :D :champagne:

Gawd this was a lot of work!

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

super cool man,respect.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

Great vid AP, you have made some interesting stuff.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Working on a layout for the Yusynth Clock Divider. The jack board is fine, but the board with the chips is being a total owner-operator.

Think this may have to percolate for awhile.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Current state of affairs. I found out tonight that the Sync Out of the Volca Beats works nicely as a clock signal, plus it is synced to the drum beat! The two orange cables are going into the Focusrite Scarlett 2-channel thing.

Worked up a noisy, boingy bassline and drum beat. I was going for a grungy, dub kinda thing.

I'd take it as a high compliment if someone had a go at recording some lazy lead guitar on top of it :thumbup:
Attachments
2014-12-18.mp3
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 112 times

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Pretty much stock, except for adding an input attenuator for the Lowpass input. (Couldn't figure out how to do it with the Highpass.)

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

One good thing about too damn many sequencers, a spare one works nicely as a clock divider.

The Volca Beats is a nice clock source, unfortunately too low a voltage to trigger the sequencer, so had to use the LFO as a buffer (it can do sync, thanks to electricdruid's PIC jiggery pokery). So I could have the drum machine humming along and just have the Klee sequencer tick over on every fourth clock tick from the Volca (rather than sound too damn busy like in that first MP3 I linked.)

Combine that with the 3 channel simple mixer, and I had a nice drum, bass, and lead pattern going :) Bass VCO's going into the Minimoog filter, and the lead going into the Steiner Parker (nice and sharp.)

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Got around to getting my guitar interface sorted.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujh0dfoy3gkwa ... t.mp3?dl=0

This is FUN. The first part is with the filter being hit with a LFO (no envelope at all), in sine mode. The second part is using the envelope generator from the Gate signal derived from the guitar. Not sure where the bass bits came from for that, suspect this would rule on bass guitar.

Oh, Minimoog VCF filter for this one, with a VCA killing the signal when there was no guitarplaying.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Boom!

Got two hole coordinates wrong (grrr), but other than that she's a good 'un :)

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Horstronic's Buffered Multiple, circuit designed by Dave Jones. Not one of the glamorous modules, this, it's a utility one. Takes a signal and buffers it to three outputs (or six, if I'm understanding the switching rightly), without letting the signal droop like it would with a passive multiple, if the source cannot drive that many inputs. This is important when the voltage level designates your oscillator's frequency, and you want your keyboard to track accurately.

Built a second GatSynFace -- the neat part about that one is that I can either use it as a guitar input, or as a send-return loop to include stompboxes in the synth, or as a loop to include the synth in a pedalboard patch...

The other neat thing about this synth building lark is that you can include nearly every module you ever made when you're making noise (as long as your cabinet and PSU can handle the load), as opposed to the wardrobe full of pedals collecting dust.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Had spare sets of boards, plus a second panel from Rullywowr, so I decided to build up another one. Tons of capacitors between the two filterbanks I have, bloody HEAPS. But they're amazingly useful, plus they're really, really fun to build :D

Still have to order more 1900H knobs from Erthenvar for it, though.