Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Re: stereo to mono box...

Post by bender »

You could also test the theory by building a Y cable- 2 mono jacks to 1 mono jack.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

On a slightly more lateral thinking route, why not just add a very simple mixer in at the very end of the signal chain and y-split each of your final left and right into the mixer as ch1 and 2. You'd take the unmixed l and r from each splitter as the outputs to amps in stereo mode and the mono output from the mixer in mono mode.

The reason I suggest using a simple mixer is that it would allow you to adjust each channels priority, allow you to set the overall output gain, and more importantly potentially allow you to flick phase of one channel if you get funny phasing issues when you mix l+r

You could test this out with a mixer between the existing stereo outs and just one amp. In fact you could just add the mixer in on top of the amp on days you want to run mono and just run 2 leads to the mixer if you don't want to build a mixer?

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Ooh! Another idea would be to use an A/B switch and a Y cable.

Connect the single end Y cable to the first amp with one side connected to the L output of the last pedal and the other side connected to the B output of the AB switch, connect the A output of the AB switch to the second amp and the R output of the last pedal to the input of the AB switch. When you switch to the B output on the switch, the L and R outputs of the last pedal will be combined and feeding the first amp. Great if you already have an AB switch.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

I'd better just try this into my mono head and see what happens. Just a note though, even though stereo doesn't add a whole lot to some effects, it does to others. My Boss harmonist, in stereo, pans the original note to one cab and the harmonised note to another. Sounds much better than a "mix" within one cab. Also, I never figured out if I was doing something wrong, but it seems to be that my Mesa Triaxis CAN'T have mono pedals in the fx loop, it kills whatever channel doesn't have a return going to it. Seems really weird to me, but that's why I started using stereo anyway...

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by SimpleSi »

I asked strymon.

They said I'd have to unplug the right input for it to stop being stereo.
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I know nothing about this sort of thing so this may be totally wrong but ..... couldn't you just wire a dpdt footswitch between one of the inputs and one of the outputs and use it like an on/off switch or kill switch?? .....may be I should go back and read the whole thread first :rofl: ... meh
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

there was a thread about this on TGP recently, people were recommending a little mixer box by JHS which mixes the strymons to mono without wrecking the sound.

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimpleSi »

bbrunskill wrote:there was a thread about this on TGP recently, people were recommending a little mixer box by JHS which mixes the strymons to mono without wrecking the sound.
any chance of a link?
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

Wonder if they're using their blender pedal? It's an effects loop that can blend the loop in... So you'd run mono output into the input, stereo output into the effects loop in, then the output into the mono amp, effects loop out into stereo amp? I think that would work... Use the blend to make the stereo loop mix into the mono :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

SimpleSi wrote:I asked strymon.

They said I'd have to unplug the right input for it to stop being stereo.
In that case, a TRS jack wired to connect the Ring and Sleeve when in stereo mode, and disconnect it in mono will sort it out... but only for the last pedal in the chain.

I still reckon the Y-cable and AB switch is worth trying though. That'll keep both outputs running when in mono mode.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

And to save you reading the whole thread, this is the gadget they recommended: http://this1smyne.com/shop/patch-bay/

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimpleSi »

bbrunskill wrote:And to save you reading the whole thread, this is the gadget they recommended: http://this1smyne.com/shop/patch-bay/
thanks!

this sounds like it does the trick.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

Simon...did you go for one of those gadgets in the end? On a semi related note, is it just me, or is it weird that pedals like the strymon stuff, for example only have mono ins? Assuming most people who invest in something like the timeline would run it through an fx loop (if they have one), is it not strange that you can in theory only run the one pedal in stereo? If you had a delay AND a reverb, only the last one in the chain will actually be in stereo, because the first in the chain has nowhere to plug its two "outs" into...I may have asked this before, I'm not certain...but it bugs me to the extent that I bought a whole bumch of TC electronic stuff purely for the stereo ins on them.

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimpleSi »

I got the box thingy from that guy online.

all it was - which pissed me off - was 2 TRS in's and 2 TRS out's with the outs sharing a couple prongs - so that when only 1 output is plugged in the 2 mono in's go out 1 the out...

Ended up costing me $42 to get the guy to make it and ship it.. which i could've done here with parts from jaycar for like $12... what a douche.

It doesn't "sum" the output.. it just combines them.. no added dB cuts.. lol.

but it worked.. just annoyed how stupid it was.

I don't even use it anymore since i got my OC10 and sold my 2nd amp..