Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

DIY Real spring reverb "pedal"

Post by malevolentsparkle »

Ive been thinking about doing some DIY pedals, and a real spring reverb would be a perfect addition to my rig, as my amp does not have any reverb. As this would be my first project a pedal kit is probably the way to go, any recommendations? Also my amp lacks an effects loop so the reverb will be running into the front of my (clean) bassman; will this be a problem?

cheers.
'71 Epiphone EA-250 (JP) or 84' Ibanez Roadstar II -> MXR Super Comp Compressor -> Ernie Ball VPjr -> Bluesberry Hotcake -> Visual Sound H2O V3 Chorus/Delay -> MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay -> '68 Jansen Bassman 50 -> Carvin 2x12 Celestion Seventy80 Cab

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: DIY Real spring reverb "pedal"

Post by alanp »

If you want real spring reverb, you need space for the real spring reverb tank, which is in the same ballpark of size as original Deluxe Memory Man boxes.

http://1776effects.com/store/ sell boards for their Rub-A-Dub Reverb, not bad. I've built the normal one, haven't built the Deluxe.

http://www.grindcustomsfx.com/ sell boards for their Tenebrion -- love this reverb, gets into faintly oscillating shoegazey territory.

Mad Bean released his Mood Ring reverb, the boards have already sold out though.

Note that you aren't going to have the options and mad insanity of a EHX Cathedral or BlueSky.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

Everything Alanp said.

If you are dead set on a real deal spring, the standard is the fender valve driven one. Not what I would call a stomp box, but you could have it coupled with a switch. These are generally built into an amp head style enclosure a bit bigger than lunchbox amp.

I'd go the reverb board. Or an echo unit for more options, I like the echo base. From music pcb.com, might have a board I can sell you, populated or not. I had a few and lack time... Do some more research and let us know
b.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Snarblinge »

Actually if it's your first build and must be a reverb go the rub a dub.. It's simple enough to troubleshoot.
b.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Heres another option: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/eff ... er-reverb/

Unfortunately they don't do a kit for this one, only the digital reverb design :) But you can buy a spring reverb tank from Ryan @ The Amp Shop to use with it, should only be $30-40 :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton

Post by malevolentsparkle »

hmm, none of them seem to be kits? I suppose it isn't too big a deal to source my own components but it does add an extra level of complexity! maybe I should try a tubescreamer kit first to get some practise in?
'71 Epiphone EA-250 (JP) or 84' Ibanez Roadstar II -> MXR Super Comp Compressor -> Ernie Ball VPjr -> Bluesberry Hotcake -> Visual Sound H2O V3 Chorus/Delay -> MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay -> '68 Jansen Bassman 50 -> Carvin 2x12 Celestion Seventy80 Cab

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Snarblinge »

I can send you a fuzz face kit for the cost of parts, with my own instructions on putting it together. If you get the right box, and put the right holes in it, you can reuse the enclosure for something else later on.

I find half the fun Is in box design and layout.

Once you can solder ok, you can build any kit easily, provided it's put together ok.

Finding parts is not a problem at all.

If you only need one kits worth, buy everything from one or some combination of the following

Pedalpartsplus.com
Mammothelectronics
Effectsconnection
Banzai - though shipping is a bit much
Future lec - I only use these guys if I have too, many do with great results.

Also once you are into it get your head around mouser and rscomponents

Rs ships for free, so often ends up good price wise if you just need a few things. I often get a packet of resistors from them rather than go to f. Jaycar..

Get into it, it's very worthwhile and will absorb you entirely, or frustrate you, or both.
b.