TS then BB now klones, which pedal is next?

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

For the last 10 years everyone has been building TS clones, either exact replicas of the original 808 or some variant with added Bass and clipping. Now I'm not bagging a good modded TS, I use one myself and love it!
However people started realising they were getting sucked in by some expensive boutique company's with a slight variant on this design with a price tag that was close to a new flat screen!
So it appears over the last few years it switched to the Marshall Blues Breaker or the mighty Klon.
It seems every month some boutique company is releasing there take on one of these 2 pedals.

So this brings up a couple of questions for me, who's old design will be re hashed next for the low
Gain OD market? Perhaps we will see more Germainium ODs on the market (already quite a few Range Masters I know) but how many are marketed as Overdrives?
Or maybe something else.
I personally like the sound (in videos) of the Korg SDD preamp that the edge uses, no one has done that yet....my guess is someone will soon.
Or will someone make a unique OD that is an original design??? Like another Timmy?
There still seems to be enough of a market for low gain ODs and I guess as long as there are people buying there will be company's modding old circuits and calling it their own.

Any predictions on what's next?

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: TS then BB now klones, which pedal is next?

Post by Snarblinge »

I guess it mostly depends on circuit complexity and parts availability, with heaps of through hole stuff on the way out, the bigger boutiquers will be making do with what's available smd, the smaller guys will keep chugging away at ts etc circuits. I'm surprised more arduino controlled stuff isn't about. Micro controllers are all over the parts sites. That is the areas guess things will head. Most of the new trend stuff on diy sites is around switching and the move away from 3pdts, which enables more creative control.

I'm happy so long as it ain't modelling.
b.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

I'm kinda sick of the JATS thing too (Just Another Tube Screamer) gimme a crazy fuzz any day!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

My prediction; boutique pedal makers will be falling over themselves to make Boss DS-1 clones next:

"The amazing, heralded, unique, natural sounding Boss DS-1 is now repakaged in a hand-painted die cast aluminium box, with true bypass switching, and a reconfigured tone circuit, giving you more flexibility over this classic distorition box. And at only $299USD your board won't look complete without it." :D
Nothing to see here.

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
Been liked: 1 time

Post by fuzziebro »

good points all have made in this thread so far... :)

I have noticed the/a trend towards very simple single transistor circuits, (Les lius / EM drive etc) but even these are based on older existing designs i.e. electra distortion, Jack Ormans "Muffer" etc

And yeah I do wonder how much longer thru hole comps will last, but I think to be fair, like the tube revival, there is and will be quite a demand for these products from the general audio luddite market, so hopefully no worries there.

btw the Timmy is really a YATS circuit. Jack Ormans Son of Screamer idea - loping off the input/output buffers is dated '98.

The Timmy Bass control is a mod on the AMZ 'fat mod". the Treble control is a modded Rat filter just like the Zendrive, which is also a YATS derivative taken from the "son of Screamer" idea also.

Not that I'm knocking these peds, just that they arent nearly as original as some people think.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

plugging straight into a tube amp and using its natural break up and gain

:P
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

willow13 wrote:plugging straight into a tube amp and using its natural break up and gain

:P
Nah too many people have gone for Fender HRD/DRRi :lol:

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

fuzziebro wrote:
btw the Timmy is really a YATS circuit. Jack Ormans Son of Screamer idea - loping off the input/output buffers is dated '98.

The Timmy Bass control is a mod on the AMZ 'fat mod". the Treble control is a modded Rat filter just like the Zendrive, which is also a YATS derivative taken from the "son of Screamer" idea also.

Not that I'm knocking these peds, just that they arent nearly as original as some people think.
I didn't know this, I thought it was an original design. I wonder if anyone is working on an original design to bring to the table. Or maybe all the best designs are 20 plus years old and no one can top them, just tweak them.

I wonder how many times I've read a pedal description with words/descriptions 'like transparent' 'amp like' 'dynamic' 'touch sensitive' 'great note separation' etc etc etc, when most of them are based on a handful of old designs.
I think they just throw them in the description because that is what people want to hear. When did the guitar market become such a marketed industry?
To be honest we must be pretty easy to sell to......well I am pretty easy to convince I need a new OD at least.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Reg18 wrote: I didn't know this, I thought it was an original design. I wonder if anyone is working on an original design to bring to the table. Or maybe all the best designs are 20 plus years old and no one can top them, just tweak them.
No different to the amp industry is it?

There's no really unique amp designs these days. They're all based on Vox AC15s, Marshall 18Ws & JCM800s, Fender 5E3s, etc, etc...

Waits to be corrected :think:
Nothing to see here.

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Green Bastard »

Miza wrote:My prediction; boutique pedal makers will be falling over themselves to make Boss DS-1 clones next:

"The amazing, heralded, unique, natural sounding Boss DS-1 is now repakaged in a hand-painted die cast aluminium box, with true bypass switching, and a reconfigured tone circuit, giving you more flexibility over this classic distorition box. And at only $299USD your board won't look complete without it." :D
it has begun:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 330671.htm

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Miza wrote:
Reg18 wrote: I didn't know this, I thought it was an original design. I wonder if anyone is working on an original design to bring to the table. Or maybe all the best designs are 20 plus years old and no one can top them, just tweak them.
No different to the amp industry is it?

There's no really unique amp designs these days. They're all based on Vox AC15s, Marshall 18Ws & JCM800s, Fender 5E3s, etc, etc...

Waits to be corrected :think:
I think in general you are about right...all the hot rodded marshall type stuff are a variation on the jose mod
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Green Bastard wrote:
Miza wrote:My prediction; boutique pedal makers will be falling over themselves to make Boss DS-1 clones next:

it has begun:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 330671.htm
Ha! It's stock, so it's worth more. 8)
Nothing to see here.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

The Tinnitus chap has been getting into the HM2 circuit quite a bit lately -- he's got it down to a 1590B, I think.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol