jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 359 times

WAH issues

Post by jimi »

Had a new Wah issue at a gig on Saturday - the Wah works fine when engaged, but when not engaged it cuts out at some positions on the rocker, so after disengaging the wah my signal was disappearing, but would come back with a bit of fiddling.

I know from past experience that if I forget to plug the power in the clean signal still works fine so I assumed this made it true bypass, but now not so sure.

Dodgy pot has been suggested, but doesn't make sense as its fine when engaged. Just a loose wire getting effected by the pedal movement maybe?

Any suggestions on where to take it for repairs / is it even worth it? Probably cheaper to buy a new one than get it fixed? Its a Crybaby 535Q, but to be honest I only use it for 2 songs, so any cheap ass wah would probably be fine.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: WAH issues

Post by Snarblinge »

It is worth repairing, if you don't have to pay. Anyone with an iron should be able to help. I think loose wire, sounds like it is tb. But maybe loose in the bypass wire. Says you are in akl. If so get in touch I'll have a look
b.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 936 times

Post by Reg18 »

Had similar issues with a 535 crybaby once, it was cutting in and out. Thought it was the Wah pot which I had replaced at a cost of around $70 but didn't solve the problem. Ended up being the switch which was about $10! That could be worth a go first.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

Snarblinge wrote:It is worth repairing, if you don't have to pay. Anyone with an iron should be able to help. I think loose wire, sounds like it is tb. But maybe loose in the bypass wire. Says you are in akl. If so get in touch I'll have a look
Cheers, I'll get my hammer, open it up and take a look then, and once I've managed to get solder all over the place and make a proper mess of it I might take you up on that. :evil:

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

McPherson Stomp Boxes got the job on my vintage Jen wah. Seems to know all their inner goings on and was sensitive to it's ancientness.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

finally got round to opening up the Wah and I doubt its true bypass at all, has ribbons going from PCB to PCB rather than single wires too, so a bit advanced for my soldering skills. Also has some odd yellow grease looking goop over the end of the pot. I assume that's meant to be there?

wiped down a few dusty bits and removed a few hairs and plugged it in and its behaving properly now, so will call that a win.

Watched some demos of the Mission Engineering rewah pro that had me GASing, so just as well Ryan's out of stock else I'd be 4 hand shandy out of pocket.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Yeah they're not TB. They call it hardwire bypass or something.

Mine doesn't seem to suck tone though so I'm relatively happy :)