Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7690 times
Been liked: 4158 times

Express yourself...

Post by jeremyb »

So... with my pitch fork you can plug in an expression pedal and set the 'glissando rate', which is the rate at which it ramps up the pitch shifting when in momentary mode... I was wondering if I could just make a simple potentiometer attached to a plug setup so I could tweak it to get the rate how I like and then leave it. It's not something I would adjust much... kinda seems like an easy solution to avoid needing an actual expression pedal, thoughts??
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Re: Express yourself...

Post by Delayman »

Are you trying to save space or do you not want to have it knocked and reset? Just wondering why not get an exp pedal.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Mostly about saving space, my pedalboard is really tight! Plus it seems like overkill to have an expression pedal to just set a rate setting :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

sounds like a plan to me :) strap it under your board kind of thing? should do the job nicely.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Shouldn't be hard, just wire pot lugs 1,2,3 to TRS plug. Only annoying bit will be getting a pot that the PF is happy with.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote:sounds like a plan to me :) strap it under your board kind of thing? should do the job nicely.
:thumbup:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

alanp wrote:Shouldn't be hard, just wire pot lugs 1,2,3 to TRS plug. Only annoying bit will be getting a pot that the PF is happy with.
Mmmm 25 - 50k apparently should be ok?

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

I just got a bunch of stuff that included an old Casio VP-1 which is a volume pedal with TRS cable and with a knob to set minimum rate. Pretty sure it would work as exp pedal. That knob might do what you want and you would have the exp pedal for other uses. Not sure it is 100% going as I couldn't test properly. But at most I imagine a contact clean or new pot. You can have it for $20 including shipping if you want. But it doesn't do your space saving job as it's solid old school sheet metal with rubber coating.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

I found this about the pedal - seems relevant... :D

Casio VP-1 volume pedal

The volume pedal Casio VP-1 has a knob at its front to set the minimum volume. The pedal case is made from thick sheet metal covered with black rubber. Because at least latex based rubber sorts tend to dissolve easily when treated wrongly, I recommend to store the pedal in a quite airtight PE or PP foil plastic bag to prevent cracking from ozone in the room air. Also keep it away from any normal fats or oils (e.g. in shoe dirt or leather shoe polish, or phthalate infested smeary soft PVC) because they may dissolve it. If the mechanism needs lubrication, only use thick silicone oil (e.g. sold as latex care product in sexshops), because silicone is the only oil that doesn't destroy latex based rubber.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Delayman wrote:I just got a bunch of stuff that included an old Casio VP-1 which is a volume pedal with TRS cable and with a knob to set minimum rate. Pretty sure it would work as exp pedal. That knob might do what you want and you would have the exp pedal for other uses. Not sure it is 100% going as I couldn't test properly. But at most I imagine a contact clean or new pot. You can have it for $20 including shipping if you want. But it doesn't do your space saving job as it's solid old school sheet metal with rubber coating.
Cheers man but I have enough bits lying around to make something up :)

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

jeremyb wrote:
alanp wrote:Shouldn't be hard, just wire pot lugs 1,2,3 to TRS plug. Only annoying bit will be getting a pot that the PF is happy with.
Mmmm 25 - 50k apparently should be ok?
Probably. I've got some Lovetone pedals that prefer high impedance, but with modern digital stuff you should be sweet :)
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

ah theres a shitload of exp diagrams on the net, should be a doddle if its just a pot.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.