H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

An uplifting Stomp Box tip

Post by H671 »

I've been using an SX Stomp Box for some time now, it's great but there are two issue I wanted to overcome.
Sometimes, my ankle just aches because of the angle & the unit will tend to slide around the floor even on carpet.
The idea is nothing new - the "Shadow Stompin' Bass" has a removeable heel pad, so I achieved the same result
by fastening a small block of wood with fabric backed tape - it's strong enough to form a hinge so that it can fold
back on itself for storage. Net result - better angle & no slippage.
SX Stompbox with pad.jpg
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Re: An uplifting Stomp Box tip

Post by hamo »

That's pretty cool. I'd love to get into some stompbox stuff, but I'm so disorganised at life.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

mickeyj4j
Stagg
Stagg

Post by mickeyj4j »

Well this looks like a great idea. I have the SX stompbox. Currently I have been using a rubber anti-slip mat, it does still slip but a lot less.
I like your idea but not a fan of duct tape, it gets sticky and comes off over time, leaving a mess, and new duct tape ever sticks that we'll. I wonder if a strip of valcro or a hinge may work better, may need to recess the hinge in to make it flush with the wood. Any ideas would help.
What did you use to stain the wood.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by H671 »

mickeyj4j wrote:Well this looks like a great idea. I have the SX stompbox. Currently I have been using a rubber anti-slip mat, it does still slip but a lot less.
I like your idea but not a fan of duct tape, it gets sticky and comes off over time, leaving a mess, and new duct tape ever sticks that we'll. I wonder if a strip of valcro or a hinge may work better, may need to recess the hinge in to make it flush with the wood. Any ideas would help.
Rather than buy stain for such a small piece of wood, I used shoe polish!
I used tape to see how well the concept would work, but never got around to doing anything more permanent. The tape has lasted well but Piano hinge (or 2 small hinges) would be the best way.

EDIT: Another reason that I initially chose the fabric backed tape was to eliminate any possibility of noise from a metal hinge adding unwanted sounds to the stomp. And probably the main reason is that I had the tape & was too much of a cheapskate to go & buy a hinge!

mickeyj4j
Stagg
Stagg

Post by mickeyj4j »

H671 wrote:
mickeyj4j wrote:Well this looks like a great idea. I have the SX stompbox. Currently I have been using a rubber anti-slip mat, it does still slip but a lot less.
Rather than buy stain for such a small piece of wood, I used shoe polish!
I used tape to see how well the concept would work, but never got around to doing anything more permanent. The tape has lasted well but Piano hinge (or 2 small hinges) would be the best way.

EDIT: Another reason that I initially chose the fabric backed tape was to eliminate any possibility of noise from a metal hinge adding unwanted sounds to the stomp. And probably the main reason is that I had the tape & was too much of a cheapskate to go & buy a hinge!
Well that is a good idea to use what you had around like the shoe polish idea. Probably something I would use as have brown polish but no brown shooes anymore. Now to find a piece of wood of right thickness and shape. Paino hynge is to large man have you seen the size of most painos. This has got me thinking. Will keep an eye out for any skip bins etc to get a scrap biece of wood.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Does the sx give a nice deep thud?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by H671 »

Bg wrote:Does the sx give a nice deep thud?
No!

Mine has a piezo in it and it needs to be eq'd & is best through a bass amp.
Turn the mids right down & adjust treble & bass to suit.
Also, the bigger the speaker - the better the result.
Shoe soles make a hugh difference - soft soles = more thud, hard soles = sharper sound.
I use several different covers - a $2 shop polishing cloth & scrubbing sponge or an old sock. These all help
to dampen the sound to get a nice thud. The different covers allow for different shoe soles and to be able to use
the stomp box in a guitar amp. The secret is to have a cover that has gradual compressability. I tried rubber pads
but the were the same as rubber shoe soles - the covers gave a better result.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Ah OK, sounds pretty much like the one I made.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mickeyj4j
Stagg
Stagg

Post by mickeyj4j »

H671 wrote:
Bg wrote:Does the sx give a nice deep thud?
No!

Mine has a piezo in it and it needs to be eq'd & is best through a bass amp.
Turn the mids right down & adjust treble & bass to suit.
Also, the bigger the speaker - the better the result.
Shoe soles make a hugh difference - soft soles = more thud, hard soles = sharper sound.
I use several different covers - a $2 shop polishing cloth & scrubbing sponge or an old sock. These all help
to dampen the sound to get a nice thud. The different covers allow for different shoe soles and to be able to use
the stomp box in a guitar amp. The secret is to have a cover that has gradual compressability. I tried rubber pads
but the were the same as rubber shoe soles - the covers gave a better result.
Have you ever looked inside they have an electric guitar pickup.
It really depends on the amp/system/pa they are going into, and what eq and effects you add. In a guitar amp it can sound kind of flat, using a bass amp that works really well for this, and a pa system is the best. Using guitar effects reverb, slight delay etc can make it sound great. Although tne thud in my line 6 microspider amp is ok kt gives a beat to play with. See my post Stompbox, foot drum, other foot percussion. for more info.
Using my bass amp or tne pa at church work well. I also I made an amp from a modified car sub woofer, which can be powered via mains or battery. See this link at peterman.com Acoustic amp I got the same car subwoofer, last one from jaycar, now end of life. Check out his video on the subject
[youtube]https://youtu.be/XaMGiH3vTyc[/youtube]
This amp is fairly heavy bit has a great tone for guitar, bass, stompbox etc. Mic does not sound too good in it sadly. With all the small mixing desks/audio interfaces there is no small 2 or 4 channel ones that are battery powered. So when using it I cant really sing. But it is great for all instruments. Keyboard, bass, guitar, violin etc as well as my stompbox.

mickeyj4j
Stagg
Stagg

Post by mickeyj4j »

H671 wrote:Rather than buy stain for such a small piece of wood, I used shoe polish!
What type of shoe polish did you use. Liquid or powdered. Reason why I ask is I have the powdered stuff which has wax in it and it does not stain the wood.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by H671 »

mickeyj4j wrote:
H671 wrote:Rather than buy stain for such a small piece of wood, I used shoe polish!
What type of shoe polish did you use. Liquid or powdered. Reason why I ask is I have the powdered stuff which has wax in it and it does not stain the wood.
Kiwi shoe polish in the small round tins.

mickeyj4j
Stagg
Stagg

Post by mickeyj4j »

H671 wrote:
mickeyj4j wrote:
Kiwi shoe polish in the small round tins.
That's what I have mmmmmmmmm interesting. Maybe mine is too old and dry............. just remembered I have some water color paints they seem to work ok...... using what I have is good.