Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Expression Pedals!

Post by sirvill »

Hey all,

WARNING - electronics luddite hilariously attempting to explain things below.

Picked up a second hand Casio VP-1 - looks like this:

So its one of these pedals with a hard-wired TRS cable instead of a removeable one.

Issue was that the expression pedal (using it with the EHX pitchfork) works as intended except it doesn't quite go "far enough".

In other words, at heel down its fine (no change in pitch) but in heel up position it only goes 11 or so semi-tones instead of a whole octave. Looked mechanically fine from the inside, nothing restricting or catching. I imagine for most applications you wouldn't notice it really as it would manifest itself as a slight drop in keyboard volume or something.

So inside the wiring was a red and white wire from the cable onto the main pot which is controlled by the treadle, and a ground wire from the cable onto some metal. On the third lug of the pot was a red wire going to the pot controlled by the minimum volume knob, and a ground wire going to the same place as the other ground wire.

OK! So I assumed the minimum volume pot lost some of its juice over the years (this thing is OLD) and seeing as I don't really need a minimum volume, I unsoldered those wires. Now it doesn't work at all. Tried resoldering some of the wires to the control pot but so far no luck.

I'm guessing this is because the minimum volume pot was acting as the resistor that you need in an expression pedal schematic to control the voltage? Of course there is no resistor in the circuit anymore now.

SO - after all that:

1) Is a volume pot losing juice even a thing? Would it do something similar to what it was doing before if that was the case?

2) Assuming I don't care about a minimum volume pot, what's the best way to wire this thing up as a working expression pedal? Will I need more components (ie a resistor) or can I make do with what I have?

Cheers!

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Expression Pedals!

Post by borge »

The minimum vol knob should not affect toe down (heel up) so that's unlikely to be your problem. If there was a problem with it the heel down would be above normal pitch.

from the EHX site:
EXP JACK
EXPression input jack accepts a TRS expression pedal connector or a Tip-Sleeve 0-5V control voltage input. The expression pedal should ideally use a 10k potentiometer with linear rather than audio taper. It must have the wiper connected to TIP and toe-down connected to RING. Pedals made by some manufacturers do not conform to this convention, and would need a special cable to swap RING and TIP. Some suggested Expression Pedals: EHX Expression Pedal, M-Audio® EX-P, Moog® EP-2 & EP-3, Roland® EV-5 or Boss® FV-500L.

You need to test the resistance of the tip to ring as you rock the pedal. It will need to go from close to 0 ohms (up to a couple hundred ohms should be fine) to 10 kilo ohms. (underlined is likely a typo and should be 'earth')

Judging by your problem, the upper limit isn't 10k so you'll likely need a higher value pot. I've converted an old volume pedal to an exp pedal - the pot was the right value but the mechanism didn't rotate it right to the end stop, a 15k pot worked perfectly. So keep in mind you may need a pot greater than 10k or play with the mechanism to get the full rotation. If you do need to get a new pot, make sure to get a linear one.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Re: Expression Pedals!

Post by sirvill »

Ah cool - so we don't need some kind of resistor in the mix somewhere?

I'll reconnect and get the multimeter out I suppose :D